Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How to add stars to your evening or night photos

Starry, starry night? No problem. I use a VERY simple program called Xara Designer, which has a low-cost sister program called Xara Photo & Graphic Designer... does the same stuff, for photos, as the more expensive version. Read the text on the image below. Check out Xara.com. Also the Photo Editing Tips section on the Xara-Users website, at Xara Users • Login ... have fun!

Attached Images

12-16-2012, 03:48 AM   #2

That sounds almost too easy....
12-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There are a few plugins for Photoshop that can do this too. Topaz has one. I believe Andromeda made one too and there was a freebie plug at one time but I don't recall who made that. It can also be done with layers, masks and a star brush it just takes longer...
12-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds good and easy. Just have to use it in moderation, like HDR, so the photo doesn't turn out cheezy and fake.

12-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It IS easy! Get a trial download of Xara Designer or Xara Photo & Graphic Designer (same program, without website-making stuff) and mess around with it. I used this program for years at work, before I retired (multimedia designer and illustrator). The Xara photo-editing tips at Xara Users • Login include other easy ways to make colored filter effects, graduated ND filters... so much easier to do after you take the photo instead of during it.

Only exception -- the polarizer. Yes, you can simulate polarized sky or knocked out reflections in Xara or Photoshop -- but it's very hard to do correctly, and takes a VERY long time. Much better on the camera... particularly for reflections.

Re HDR... it is exciting when it works, and it works if the viewer never notices that you are doing it. Most HDR images are really horrible! I use a small program called Dynamic Photo HDR 5 from Mediachance. But there are other ways to go at it, like Photoshop's Dodge and Burn tools, or using Xara to copy an image on top of itself, and then cut away part of the top one to reveal a different-toned one below.

Graphics techniques are endless. And with a lot of effort, you CAN turn that sow's ear into a silk purse. But it's so much easier to start with a really strong clear image. Which gets back to why I like film... you take so much fewer pictures, and you think a lot more about each one, and so you end up with images that need a lot less post-processing...