Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 12:40 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
k100 d metering

i think everybody here is talking about their pentax k10d.....i have a k100d and it does not show in the viewfinder the metering....so i dont know if my metering is right or off.....is there anybody there that can help me with the exposure meter of the k100d....

03-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rjburgos Quote
i think everybody here is talking about their pentax k10d.....i have a k100d and it does not show in the viewfinder the metering....so i dont know if my metering is right or off.....is there anybody there that can help me with the exposure meter of the k100d....
rjburgos,

Go into your menu (Rec. mode tab), and scroll down till you see "AE Metering". It's either multi-segment, center-weighted, or spot metering. But since you aren't yet familiar with your K100D's menu, chances are the first option is selected.
03-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #33

Summary: Metering/AE-L/Green Button/P&M Modes

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewShirley Quote
What he's trying to say is this: In Manual mode, you can press the AE-L button, which will then maintain the exposure as you adjust the Aperture or shutter speed. So, if you adjust Aperture, the camera will adjust the shutter speed to maintain your exposure. Basically you have switched your camera into Hyper-Program mode, except you get to choose the exposure.
Are you saying that in Hyper-Program (P) Mode, you only get to have one exposure value? How is that set? I read something in the manual about the Program Line, but have not figured that out yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewShirley Quote
Its a feature that I completey forgot about until Anomaly brought it up... its actually HUGELY useful - especially for what he's saying, adjusting the DOF without altering exposure.

I suppose you could try P mode and play with the Aperture there. To adjust your exposure, use exposure comp. That should do what you're looking for.

- Andrew
This thread has been extremely helpful .. I've referred back to it several times, and have read the manual, and have been taking online course in DSLR functions. With that being said, here's a summary of what I think I've learned, and I hope you can help me out by correcting anything I get wrong.

When in M Mode:
- The advantage to using this mode is to be able to adjust exposure however you need.. you are in total control of exposure
- Meter the scene by pressing the Green Button
- Adjust the exposure as needed by pressing the front e-dial for shutter speed (ss) or the back e-dial for aperture (ap) .. note the EV Bar to balance exposure if needed
- You can press AE-L when in M mode to record the value of the exposure, so that any adjustments you make to exposure will result in the ss or ap remaining constant
- Q: Once you set the Exposure in M mode, does it stay exactly the same no matter what, until you meter/press the green button again?

When in P Mode:
- The advantage of using this mode is so that when you meter (using green button) and adjust exposure (using e-dials) your ss and ap remain constant
- Q: Why use this vs using M mode w/ AE-L?
03-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rjburgos Quote
I have an *istD and a K10D and both have a metering "bar" in the viewfinder (the *istD on the right side, the K10D on the bottom). When out of range a "+" or "-" sign appears, then once you're within the range, the hash marks (above or below, or to the right or left) disappear as you move toward the center/correct exposure. The metering bar only shows up when you are in "Manual" (M) mode on your mode dial.

Or is this missing entirely from a K100D viewfinder??

07-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #35
Veteran Member

to bring back an old thread because I've learned a lot from this one. i've started using manual exposure mode and it's fantastic. spot metering, with AE-L set to Tv-shift. basically like Av mode and the best thing is that in Manual the exposure stays from shot to shot. so in a certain environment, set the exposure once and then all the photos will turn out similar.

i've also been using the histogram a lot and the ETTR method as well Expose Right

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
Or is this missing entirely from a K100D viewfinder??
there's no metering bar on the K100D, however, in the VF display, it will tell you how many stops over or underexposed the selected exposure is
07-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
I can't change mine as my LCD is broken
For anyone who's LCD is broken, you can connect your K10D to your TV monitor and your menu's show up on the Big Screen.
It's not perfect, but at least you can change some of the major settings!
Cheers,
07-05-2008, 10:02 AM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
Me, I usually take an incident light reading with my Gossen Luna Pro SBC handheld meter and shoot at the indicated exposure manually.
I gotta get me one of those! Through the lens metering is great for many things, but at best it will only tell you how luminous the subject. Better to know how much light is striking the subject. (Assuming you are in a position to actually meter the incident light on the subject!)

Steve

07-05-2008, 04:46 PM   #38
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
For anyone who's LCD is broken, you can connect your K10D to your TV monitor and your menu's show up on the Big Screen.
It's not perfect, but at least you can change some of the major settings!
Cheers,
Well that's smart! I went about 9 months w/a broken one. Wish I'd-a thought'a that! (Camera got fixed up real nice & back to me within just a few weeks when I finally sent it it.)
07-06-2008, 09:23 PM   #39

So what would be an example workflow

So would the workflow work something like this:

Switch to Manual exposure but keeping auto focus
Ensure you are switched to spot meter (or other choice of metering)
Point camera toward your desired shot
press the "GREEN" button (ie the button near the shutter button)
After, press the AE-L button
Finally press the Shutter button and take your shot

After this process then dial in another shutter or aperture of your choice and the K10 will automatically change shutter or aperature to maintain exposure?
07-07-2008, 12:31 AM   #40
Forum Member

Maybe a dumb question but does this work with the K200d as well? I know certain things maybe different but is the premise the same?

Thanks
Meredith
07-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #41
MJB

QuoteOriginally posted by Meredith Quote
Maybe a dumb question but does this work with the K200d as well? I know certain things maybe different but is the premise the same?

Thanks
Meredith
See page 96 in K200d manual...short answer is yes.

Have a nice day
07-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Last fall when I took a couple of photography classes, I remember one thing that the instructor told us was if we wanted to take our photography to the next level that we needed to see about getting a separate light meter. He enthusiastically recommended the Sekonic L358, which is what I'm leaning towards getting when I get ready to buy (either later on this year or sometime early next year). One of the things I like most about it is that if you're trying to figure out the proper exposure for a tricky situation (mixed lighting), you can take readings from several different areas in your scene and the meter will average them out for you for the best results. Brand new, the L358 runs around $250, but I've seen used ones on Fleabay for under $200. Here's the link to the Sekonic website if anybody is interested in finding out more:

Sekonic L-358 FLASH MASTER'''''

Here's a link if you're interested in seeing what else they have to offer:
Sekonic

Heather
07-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #43

Well I have a Gossen Luna Pro F which I've had for years. I just recently purchased the K20D and have been playing around with the camera's metering. I even purchased the expodisc and have used it on the front of the camera lens in order to get the correct metering. So far my test have shown that all three methods are very close, as long as you use them correctly.

I've also been working on the white balance, hince the reason for purchasing the expodisc. So far I don't think I have that quite right, but then that's a topic for another thread, so I won't hijack this thread.

J haven't heard the sunny 16 rule for years. I almost forgot that one.

This was a great thread to read.
07-15-2008, 07:08 PM   #44

Does anyone use gray cards to help them meter? I've heard about them but not sure in what kinds of situations they'd be useful in except shooting in snowy areas...
07-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sharko Quote
Does anyone use gray cards to help them meter? I've heard about them but not sure in what kinds of situations they'd be useful in except shooting in snowy areas...
I don't use a gray card, but I will meter snow and open up 2 stops in winter scenes. I have also used the palm of my hand + 1 stop in difficult lighting conditions. A bit of bracketing based on these settings is not a bad idea.