Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

Need suggestions on printers

I'm looking for an all in one printer for a low price. After looking at some of my older pop photo magazines they say that the Epson RX680 is a good printer and so is the Kodak Easyshare 5500. Kodak seems to have cheaper ink since you only need to buy 2 cartriges but Epson has been making printers for a while and it's cheaper. Which one is better? Or is there an even better printer between 100-300 dollars?

02-16-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you might want to look at HP photosmart printers

they make some with 6 inks, each in separate bottles. Ink is a little expensive at about $60 for 150 4x6 prints. but quality seems good from the prints I have made so far.

I bought one with multi function (fax scan print) but you can get the same print engine all by itself.
02-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I use the HP Photosmart D7160. It is doing real good prints. One thing you need to be aware of is that if you are not using HP photo paper, your ink consumption will be about double what it would be with HP photopaper.
02-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
I use the HP Photosmart D7160. It is doing real good prints. One thing you need to be aware of is that if you are not using HP photo paper, your ink consumption will be about double what it would be with HP photopaper.
that is only if you tell it what you use.

I have a suspicion they are putting more ink onto other manufacturer's paper. Note you tell the printer what you use, and it sets the ink output accordingly.

02-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I just bought a Canon MP830 all in one to supplement my Canon i9900 and Samsung CLP-510. After looking at so many all in ones from laser to ink, I was tempted to choose the Kodak simply because I liked their white and yellow design, and the cost of their ink cartridges. However, upon closer inspection, the ink volume was really small, and a two cartridge system is false economy when you have to throw away a lot of ink because one colour well is dry.

I chose the MP830 because of the automatic document feeder that was rather full featured. It can duplex both the scanning and the printing. Perfect for copying large documents easily and quickly. The ink is much more expensive, but the cartridges contain more ink. Mind you, the document feeder was my priority in selecting this printer over those from Kodak, HP, and Epson.

Your best bet is to go to a Staples or Home Depot and take a look at all their models. I don't envy you, as there are quite a few printers out there, and it depends on what you want from one.