Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Planning to do a shoot within the next 1-2 weeks of a couple.

My sister and her boyfriend is what I will be taking photos of within the next 1-2 weeks. It's not paid or anything, just a fun shoot for fun times. However I still want everything to come out perfect! If not, then imperfect to the point where minimal post processing can be used in photoshop. Maybe a little added contrast for the backlit ones.

I am planning to shoot at sunrise so that'll be 7:50am exactly. I want to do some backlit shots, and already adjusted my camera accordingly with center-weighted metering and set to exposure locking with AF point. That way when I AF on the couple, it will lock exposure with the centered metering to prevent severe underexposure of them while slightly blowing out the highlights. Though it's sunrise, so the sun will still be a little dim for a complete blowout.

I did some research and came across several poses and a few backlit poses to do. I am a little nervous because I've never did a true and real backlit shot before in sunrise setting. I am also a little nervous because I am not sure how the area will fare out. In the summer time the area is quite busy with a lot of people. But however it's winter time now and I doubt there will be as much people here, that is why I chose out that spot. I will be shooting at the Stone Arch bridge and under it.

Are my settings correct for backlit exposures? What are your guys' thoughts and is there anything else I should know about? Gosh, they will be freezing their butts off! Me? I don't mind it as I've gotten used to shooting in the cold. Thanks!

Last edited by LeDave; 12-23-2012 at 02:05 AM.
12-23-2012, 02:09 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

If it were me, I would be exposing for the background and use off camera flash to light the couple.
12-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
If it were me, I would be exposing for the background and use off camera flash to light the couple.
I'm trying to get a very natural look on the backlit shots and most of the ones I see with flash are very unrealistic. I'm trying to get a little loss on contrast and brightness and if there's too much loss, then do a slight fix on the couple in photoshop, but only enough to still make it still look natural. Do you think if I set the flash to underexpose by a stop or two, will it still keep the naturalism of the backlit photo? Thanks, Dave.
12-23-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use your cameras light metering, meter the background then meter the couple, add as many stops s you need to get the look you want (to your fflash that is)

12-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You've evidently given this a great deal of thought--and you have "visualized" in your mind what you want your shots to look like. Your exposure/focus strategy seems sound although you might find yourself tweaking the exposure comp after your first test shot. I think you'll do just fine and am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
12-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Lots of things will change on the go, so just be on your feet
Your methods would work fine for some conditions. Other times, when the sun is too bright, you may have to underexpose them.
12-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a ton guys, will be shooting this Sunday and if the pics do come out decent then I'll probably post them here.
12-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Guys, not nearly as good as I hoped them to be. Here's a couple of them that turned out OK. I woke up a little bit too late so I couldn't shoot the backlit ones.

Last edited by LeDave; 12-30-2012 at 10:39 AM.
12-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

They are not bad Give yourself some slack - these are nice - really like the last one. Its tricky to catch sunrise...i've moved to sunset to make sure people make it.