Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Moon & Jupiter on Monday

Assuming this event is not clouded out like every other astronomical event around here that I've been looking forward to photographing...
I'd like to get a good shot of the moon & Jupiter. With 200 film when putting a moon in a scene I usually shoot 1/125 at f8 for a full moon, or 5.6 for less than full. I'm wondering if that will be sufficient to expose Jupiter as well. This seems like a dumb question to which I ought to know the answer. But having shot the Christmas conjunction with just my little postage-stamp digicam, I'd like to do a "good" shot this time on film, & would like to have an exposure that shows Jupiter nicely without washing out the moon. --i.e. a minimum of "fixing" with Photoshop! I can go to 300 mm with my lenses or use my telescope which equates to, if I recall, 700mm (probably too close?) & is an f11 on the camera. But wondering about the exposure.
Suggestions?

01-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I tried this recently, and I can tell you, it will be exposed, but not all that well. I actually used a dry erase pen to darken the area capturing the moon a bit. (Still was a massive exposure nightmare, though will film, DR is massive, so you might have better luck)
01-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If you're doing digital, I'd probably take a pic of both with the 300mm and one just of jupiter with the 800mm and stitch them together later.
01-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
I'm thinking that Jupiter won't show up as much more than a dot - even with 800mm and also even "if" one did use the 1.5 conversion factor. To get both in the same pic would also require either extreme editing or a lot of experimenting with filters and such - preferably graduated filters.

01-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'd like to get the 1000mm on it but the official weather report for Monday night is...

..."Partly cloudy, with a low around -11. Wind chill values as low as -28. Northwest wind 7 to 14 mph."

Need I say more?
01-20-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"I light my torch and wave it..." ~ Duran Duran

The rule I've always used is 1/ISO at f11
01-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

For balancing both you'll need to use graduated filters and compose just right. The difference in intensity of the light your camera will be processing is huge between the moon and nearly any other night-time astronomical object.

01-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

And set white balance to sunlight
01-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
my telescope which equates to, if I recall, 700mm
That should get them both in frame. All you can do is expose for the moon and try to adjust for Jupiter in PP.
I will be trying the same shot tomorrow with 900mm FL, will be a tight shot, might have to rotate the camera to fit everything in frame.
01-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Alliecat, thanks for bringing this up -- I would have missed the conjunction otherwise. I envy those in South America who will have a full occultation.

I just did some experimenting to check on exposure and magnifications. I got a reasonable moon exposure (half a stop underexposed) at ISO 800, 1/160, approx f/16. The small f/ratio is because I was using stacked TCs. The same exposure does get Jupiter, underexposed by about 3 stops, but does not pick up its moons. For that I needed ISO 1600, 1/60, which only barely gets the moons; that's about as far as I could push things at this magnification.

From Canada I don't think the Moon and Jupiter will be close enough to have Jupiter show as more than a speck anyway, so I don't know that getting Jupiter's moons is as important for this shot.

Jupiter
DA* 300 on stacked generic TCs (1.4x and 2x), stopped down 1 stop, on the Q. 50% crop.

Mountains of the moon. (Same rig as previous shot; 25% crop.) The large crater at upper left is Plato, from which the Montes Alpes swing down and right, to the Montes Caucasus (bordering Mare Serenitatis, at right) with the Montes Appeninus continuing down and leftward, pointing toward Copernicus -- the large crater just visible on the Terminator at lower left.
01-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I got a reasonable moon exposure (half a stop underexposed) at ISO 800, 1/160, approx f/16.
So that should equate more or less to my default 1/125, f8, ISO 200. No, would certainly not expect to pick up Jupiter's moons. I suppose I could overexpose the moon a bit & sort of average it out between that & Jupiter. It won't be anything display-worthy, more of an I-was-there kind of shot!
May all be moot anyway. Forecast is giving a chance of flurries. ARGH!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
From Canada I don't think the Moon and Jupiter will be close enough to have Jupiter show as more than a speck anyway,
Um... is Jupiter closer to the USA...?
01-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolutely.
01-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Given that it's winter, I suppose not, at least at night. But you have a different viewing angle -- for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, the Moon will appear to pass south of Jupiter, so the farther north you go, the wider the separation.
01-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, it is windy out there tonight, 20-30 mph. So that is my excuse for the lack of image quality and the fact that I did my shooting more than an hour from optimal time.
Just a minor adjustment to levels in PSE.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:46 PM.
01-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
OK, it is windy out there tonight, 20-30 mph. So that is my excuse for the lack of image quality and the fact that I did my shooting more than an hour from optimal time.
Just a minor adjustment to levels in PSE.
Excellent! 1/200 @ ISO 80, so shooting around f/5.6?