Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #16

Original Poster
Thanks Ben. I will keep on battlin'. You're probably right... the colors on that landscape Gibby posted are amazing.

01-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #17
Closed Account

In 2008, I had just gotten my K-10 when I made the attached, walking through Pike Place Market. I got lucky with exposure which was an overcast sky (Seattle) and open shade. The camera auto exposure will nail that every time. I did however, have a Tamron 28-75 (skipped buying the kit lens) open at 2.8 so hand holding the camera worked at 1/60 with SR on at ISO 100.

Later, I bought and read Bryan Petersen's book "Understanding Exposure" until I understood it and I haven't shot anything but manual exposure since. You've gotten good advice, to take lots of photos. If you invest your time to learn a few principles, you'll reduce your frustration and put yourself in control and you'll make the photos that you see.
01-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by samsungNEWB Quote
Thanks Ben. I will keep on battlin'. You're probably right... the colors on that landscape Gibby posted are amazing.
Just a mistake I have made - are you set to spot metering? I had some trip photos partially ruined when I or (more likely) my wife accidentally reset my metering from center-weighted to spot. Exposures all over the place, long shutter speeds for no good reason. Might be worth a check!
01-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #19

Another thing to consider is to use your on-board flash with a DIY diffuser (e.g.- a clear 35mm film canister w/a slot cut-out to slip over the flash head) to use as a fill so you can decrease your shutter speed.
You should be able to control the intensity of the flash from your menu. A little experimenting should produce a good result.
If you google "DIY flash diffuser" you'll find other ways to reduce the harshness of a direct flash.

02-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I like my GX-10. If you don't need super-high iso, super-fast autofocus, or the ultimate in detail, it's a fine camera. I second the recommendatio of the Tamron 17-50/2.8 [or the Sigma].
02-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello samsungNEWB

To the main question you pose: “Should I give up on my Samsung GX-10 DSLR?”, the answer is simple (and in the line with the colleagues before me) – NO!

If I was in your shoes, I would get a solution for inside photos… with your camera an low light I would advise you to get a flash or a an alternative solution on how to use your in camera flash.

For the in camera flash I would advise something like the “Lightscoop” (http://www.lightscoop.com).
I have it, and let me say, in rooms up to 4 x 4 meters high it delivers what it says.

For an out of the camera flash, you can decide for a full modern one or something like the amazing good old fashion Pentax AF280T (there is one for 45 USD’s for sale in this forum now). I have it and it’s great.

And let me say, with this solution (specially an external flash), you will get great sharp photos of your kid (or other inside events) using the kit lens.

Extra advice: before buying an external flash and independent of what the one you buy (if you decide to go that road), I do advise you to read very carefully Neilvan Niekerk’ website about flash photography techniques (http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/).

Best regards,
02-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I've taken some great indoor shots with my K10 and I have taken some really poor shots with my K-5. It's all how you use it.

Many years later and I still take bad shots even with my K-5 and 50-135. Hang in there and just try to have some fun with it

02-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #23
Forum Member

I've got a K-x, and I've found that any shutter speed below 1/20 handheld needs flash. I set the flash to it's lowest setting, and that's enough for me to shoot handheld without the flash being overpowering
12-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #24
Forum Member

On a similar line my GX10 has been parked for a few years. I could never get an in-focus shot using auto focus or manual focus. Finally I tried manual focus - but deliberately mis-focused the shot a small step at a time. The test being a picture of a number plate. Image always looked okish but never crisp, kept doing this until the number plate was sharp (had to zoom in on the rear screen preview to see it). The result being that for best result I have to mis-focus. I just stumbled across the software to allow you into the debug menu where I am hoping I can offset for the mis-focus and finally get the camera taking photos as I think it should. That is an experiment to be tried this Christmas.
12-16-2014, 12:29 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJ43 Quote
On a similar line my GX10 has been parked for a few years. I could never get an in-focus shot using auto focus or manual focus. Finally I tried manual focus - but deliberately mis-focused the shot a small step at a time. The test being a picture of a number plate. Image always looked okish but never crisp, kept doing this until the number plate was sharp (had to zoom in on the rear screen preview to see it). The result being that for best result I have to mis-focus. I just stumbled across the software to allow you into the debug menu where I am hoping I can offset for the mis-focus and finally get the camera taking photos as I think it should. That is an experiment to be tried this Christmas.
If manual focus is off, the focusing screen is likely not correctly in place. Did you buy it new? Perhaps someone did not install the screen properly.
12-16-2014, 03:08 AM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by samsungNEWB Quote
Should I give up on my Samsung GX-10 DSLR?
I would give it a little more time and practice with the camera, as it's capable of producing great imagery.

Here's a few of mine from the Pentax (K10D) version.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/2287...ub-angus-2.jpg
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/2308...highland-light.

Also have a look at this thread, it might inspire you to try again. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/242738-k10d-club.html

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 12-16-2014 at 03:17 AM.
12-16-2014, 06:06 AM   #27
Veteran Member

This thread is from 01-23-2013. I hope the OP is happy now, maybe with a new camera, but I doubt this thread will help further
Focus calibration is important, though. There are many threads about it, how to set up a focus chart, etc.
12-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
This thread is from 01-23-2013
Aye but we're just so much slower here in the Highlands, slower than everybody else, in fact so slow I didn't even notice the thread dates.

12-30-2014, 01:56 AM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
If manual focus is off, the focusing screen is likely not correctly in place. Did you buy it new? Perhaps someone did not install the screen properly.
Camera was new when I bought it in May 2007. It has sat in a cupboard for many years unloved until a few weeks ago when I dug it out after finding out about the debug software (which I have yet to try). But in the mean time I have upgraded the firmware from 1.0 to 1.3 and now need some good weather (light) to go and try it again.
12-30-2014, 05:20 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye but we're just so much slower here in the Highlands, slower than everybody else, in fact so slow I didn't even notice the thread dates.

and I thought that you could not be more relax and slow than in Australia.....