Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D + M lens focusing

G'day all.

Went for a test drive of my 'new' K10D (thanks to wildherre) and M 200/4 (thanks to GatorPentax) tonight at a local softball game.

Love the K10D, worth the upgrade from the K100D - but as others pointed out, may have a little more noise at high ISO, which I had to use for tonight.

Yep, I'm impressed with the M 200's images. Nicely rendered straight from the camera with only slight underexposure fixed on the most part by Adobe Camera Raw (I've got the LL-60 viewfinder screen, which may explain some of that).

But I do have a K10D noob question: Is there a way to permit AF locking when half-pressing the shutter release, or even shooting without AF locked, when using MF lenses? Apologies in advance if this question is answered in the manual - I guess I only had a 'boy-look' through it to try and find the answer (and didn't find it).

I had the constant problem of setting my focus just right for a split second shot but the shutter wouldn't fire because focus lock kept being lost. And of course only when the subject in the centre was focus locked would it release the shutter. So no recomposing was permitted, otherwise the focus lock would drop off.

With all the other AF lenses, I'd been able to lock focus with the shutter button and keep it locked despite recomposing the shot. Any way to overcome this with MF lenses, or do I have to live with this limitation?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Last edited by Ash; 02-22-2008 at 07:48 AM.
02-22-2008, 07:48 AM   #2

Did You remember to set the AF/MF switch to MF? If You leave it in AF, the shutter will release only when the camera determines the focus.

Bostjan
02-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Either AF-C or MF will do the trick. I use MF with the same lens.

How do you compare the 200/4 to your other lenses?

- Andrew
02-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OMG!
Simple mistake! Yep, I left it in AF-S, so the camera behaved as you described.
Thanks Bostjan!

Andrew, so far I've only taken the M 200 out with me on that softball shoot last night. I'm quite pleased. Leagues ahead of my previous telephoto (Sigma 70-300 non-APO) but I guess there's simply no comparison there... (apples & oranges)

Samples shot at ISO 1250 under floodlights:

02-23-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
OMG!
Simple mistake! Yep, I left it in AF-S, so the camera behaved as you described.
Thanks Bostjan!
In my SF-1 manual, this is touted as an advantage, and named snap-in-focus. The AF.S behaviour could be an advantage for base shots of runners and sliders. Focus carefully were you want the base runner to be when the shot is taken, using the green hexagon to let you know. Then when the runner is coming to the base, hold down the shutter release and follow the runner. The camera will take an image the instant it detects focus.
02-24-2008, 11:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting tip, Albert. I'm going to give that a try when I pick up a K-mount adapter to try my M42 lenses on the DSLR.
02-25-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Just remember to use center spot focus when using trap-focus technique.

02-25-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Just remember to use center spot focus when using trap-focus technique.
The only focus point that is active with a manual focus lens is the center one. K10D manual, p. 132.
03-15-2008, 04:12 AM   #9
Forum Member

i wish the samples wernt gone
03-15-2008, 05:28 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
OMG!
Andrew, so far I've only taken the M 200 out with me on that softball shoot last night. I'm quite pleased. Leagues ahead of my previous telephoto (Sigma 70-300 non-APO) but I guess there's simply no comparison there... (apples & oranges)

I did a comparison between the Pentax 200/4 and Sigma 70-300 APO and found the Sigma to be better at most Apertures. I must have a good copy of the Sigma, or bad copy of the Pentax At any rate, it just goes to show how the art has advanced over the years.

(I also found the Sigma to be significantly better at controlling flare)

Here's the original note:
Sigma 70-300 AP vs Pentax 200/4: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Here's the supporting images:

- Andrew