Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2013, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The underlying problem is cultural. It is fashionable to emphasise rights and ignore responsibilities. We need to change the rhetoric in society.

01-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll have to agree that more and more people act like this. Watched too much "reality show"? They can't distinguish what is considerate and "their rights".
01-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I have a suggestion although it doesn't address his lack of considerate behavior - why not use his positioning as indication that there might be somewhere better to stand? If he's standing closer than you with a wider lens, and you are standing further away with a longer lens, is it possible that some of your pictures might end up being similar? That seems reason enough to seek out other positions, higher ground, other end of the court, etc. etc. I don't do much sports photography but I assume that the sort of ideas regarding travel/landscape photography might apply. Find a different way to view the same location?

I guess I'm suggesting that instead of trying to level the playing field by considerately standing side by side, I'm suggesting that you flip the playing field over by ignoring him, finding a better vantage point and photographically kicking his butt.
01-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
I have a suggestion although it doesn't address his lack of considerate behavior - why not use his positioning as indication that there might be somewhere better to stand? If he's standing closer than you with a wider lens, and you are standing further away with a longer lens, is it possible that some of your pictures might end up being similar? That seems reason enough to seek out other positions, higher ground, other end of the court, etc. etc. I don't do much sports photography but I assume that the sort of ideas regarding travel/landscape photography might apply. Find a different way to view the same location?

I guess I'm suggesting that instead of trying to level the playing field by considerately standing side by side, I'm suggesting that you flip the playing field over by ignoring him, finding a better vantage point and photographically kicking his butt.
That would be the high road way of doing it and probably the correct way.

I got to the venue before the game started so that I could position myself directly under the rim to get some shots from that angle. I was trying to shoot in the 18-35mm range for those pictures. The guy showed up after I was set up and just stood in front of me (a little off to the side). He appeared in some of those shots because I was shooting wide. Then, when he would get tired of his position, he would just start walking right in front of me. It seemed deliberate, but I don't know. I try to think others have the same consideration I do. I guess not.

Later on, he would stand directly in front of subjects, blocking any one else's potential line of view, taking close ups with a 35mm lens.

It was pretty annoying.

01-26-2013, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

1. next time bring a tammy 17-50mm, use it in 17-28mm range and be in all of his shots so that he maybe understands what you were talking about.....
2. don't forget to offer him to download the pictures from your site
01-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by furryurry Quote
1. next time bring a tammy 17-50mm, use it in 17-28mm range and be in all of his shots so that he maybe understands what you were talking about.....
2. don't forget to offer him to download the pictures from your site

Love your thinking. lol
01-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote

Love your thinking. lol

01-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gjtoth Quote
What's wrong with you?!? Don't you know it's all about HIM!? He certainly does. That's the way the folks in his generation are taught to think. Folks of MY generation, unfortunately, where so worried about bruising his precious little ego and self-esteem that they produced a whole generation of selfish, self-centered morons.
After reading through this thread, I have to agree with gjoth that this is the entire problem.

This is why I stay in the woods and shoot wildlife...........
01-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
LOL!!!!!

I feel for you bro.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/206758-photo-bombers.html

01-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #25
Veteran Member

How about a pic posted of him here? Start a "how not to be a photographer" thread?
01-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
how not to be a photographer
A good idea! A little mean, but funny for all.
01-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #27

I've dealt with this with photography and when he gives his website line I'd say "I don't care if you have a website..if I wanted someone else's pictures, I'd hire someone else. Hey, why don't you try some professional courtesy and realize you're not the only one here."

You must confront people who are clueless, sometimes. Always maintain your cool, but you have every right to be there as much as he does.
01-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #28
Veteran Member

My experience is that most self-inflated folks love to talk about themselves. Instead of working around him, talk with him. "Hey, I'm Jon, shooting for Kevin Smith and Jeff Anderson. You know, the point guard and center. Who're you shooting for?" His answer might be pompous, but it'll give you something to work with.

I'd say there's a 50% chance that this guy shoots for the school newspaper or something like that and believes that he's the duly authorized event photog, and that you're just some member of the public--that his job as a paparazzi is to elbow his way into the shot. If that's the case, he might not realize that someone else is just as credentialed as he is, and he might back off if he thinks that you two stand as equals. I've seen press photographers basically climb over who they though was a paying patron at a concert near the stage-front pit, but apologize profusely when they saw the others' press badge. Professional courtesy will get you further than common courtesy.

If that doesn't work...

If the specific event isn't terribly important--if there will be another game next week--then let it go for that night, find another location to shoot from, and talk with the event coordinator about your problem as soon as possible afterwards. They know that art is an important part of good press and will likely try to keep all their photographers happy. And, since he told you who he's shooting for, the event coordinator will know who to talk with.

If you need to make it happen there and then, take a deep breath, swallow the livid, and talk to them until they go away or throw the first punch. That's rhetorical, of course, but the first one to get angry will lose in the long run. I'm left-eye dominant, so I'd stand with him on my right, the side I'm facing, so I can not only see everything he does with my camera to my face but also make comments with fewer people hearing or seeing the exchange. Talk about what you're seeing and doing, but most importantly ask questions that will distract them from what they're trying to concentrate on; most people will walk away from a conversation, which is more effective than forcibly removing them because they're choosing to leave. If he gets angry and goes overboard, everyone will see him as the instigator. If he does want to talk, then he'll give you respect and stay out of your shots.

You can even combine the two. Ask event staff if photography from that location is acceptable. If so, go join him. Since you've asked, you've raised the question in their heads, and two competing photographers in front of everyone looks ugly, so they'll probably pull both of you back--which is a win for you. Otherwise, you use a wide lens like he does, and your photos come out worse than they would if he wasn't there but better than they otherwise would be, because he isn't in them.

If you can shape this guy's behavior, you'll be doing the profession a service.

Working around other people is part of the challenge, just like picking the right lens or simply watching one part of the action instead of another. Sometimes people will interfere; sometimes equipment will fail. Whether you consider my suggestions or not, your question is definitely part of photographic technique, just like a portrait 'tog learning how to get their clients to smile.
01-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
Tazer him
He'd get some "artsy" motion blur in his shots then, wouldn't he.
01-27-2013, 02:17 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep.. people usually find it hard to get in your way when they're unconscious....