Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Sorry that has happened. I like much of the advice already given but I would not recommend involving the event people as that seems incredibly petty for them to be asked to intervene between two feuding photographers. Take it up with the dude one on one and be civil.
The guy running the event is actually a good friend of mine so I could have asked to intervene. At one point, I did want to let him know about the problem, but then I remembered he was running around the whole time making sure everything went as planned. It felt very petty to ask him to intervene. His main concern was making sure everything else went well and not that I got the shots I wanted. I do agree that this is something that should have been dealt with between photographers.

01-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Haha, those iPads are so silly looking, held up in the air like that. Burn in hell, Steve jobs.
[typed on my iPad 2]
So much of me is hoping you really did type that on an iPad.
01-27-2013, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #48
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
As a working pro/credentialed photographer or whatever the phrase is, I'm there to get images.

To that end, you need to do whatever is required to make that happen with the absolute minimum level of fuss or upheaval for all concerned, this can often easily be achieved by thinking out of the box and having a positive and flexible attitude.

As a pro, failure is not an option.
01-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #49
Pentaxian

reivax
I think this must be your first encounter with Generation Y?
Anecdote follows-
I went out for a drink with friends last year and when I went to the men's room, I was astonished that young guys were talking on their mobile phones or face-booking or whatever whilst attending to nature. I felt pretty uncomfortable about it - bear in mind that it's hard to tell if someone is simply texting or taking a photo or video with a phone. (I wouldn't stand in the men's room waving a video camera around!)
When I told my friends at the bar, they just said, "Yep, that's Gen Y - welcome to the future!"
Cal

01-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #50
Veteran Member

When it comes to being credentialed vs non-credentialed, credentials are usually for a reason. To get access to certain areas to shoot. This is usually for professional venues to go back stage or beyond the barriers or at professional sports events to get access to be beside the arena/field where normal people might not be allowed to go.I think at this particular event being credentialed is pointless as everyone can seemingly just go everywhere.

Being hired by the event vs being just some random person is a different thing which is what was going here. If someone is an "official" photographer in the sense that the event organizers or someone like that has requested they come and take photos there, in a sense their photos are slightly more important than some other random person, at least to the event organizer who is in charge of that area. However, it is up to the organizer to take care of that. Not you as the photographer. If they've requested you be there, and someone is constantly running around getting in your way then you need to inform them and let them decide how to deal with it. In the future they may wish to institute access control to the areas beside the court or require photographers only set up in one location and remain there.
01-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #51
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
When it comes to being credentialed vs non-credentialed, credentials are usually for a reason. To get access to certain areas to shoot. This is usually for professional venues to go back stage or beyond the barriers or at professional sports events to get access to be beside the arena/field where normal people might not be allowed to go.I think at this particular event being credentialed is pointless as everyone can seemingly just go everywhere.

Being hired by the event vs being just some random person is a different thing which is what was going here. If someone is an "official" photographer in the sense that the event organizers or someone like that has requested they come and take photos there, in a sense their photos are slightly more important than some other random person, at least to the event organizer who is in charge of that area. However, it is up to the organizer to take care of that. Not you as the photographer. If they've requested you be there, and someone is constantly running around getting in your way then you need to inform them and let them decide how to deal with it. In the future they may wish to institute access control to the areas beside the court or require photographers only set up in one location and remain there.
I agree with most of what is said here. Except...the original poster was not the official event photographer or hired by the venue. He was taking some shots for some kids he knew who were playing. If anyone was "credentialed", it was the guy who was in front of him who was taking pictures for a website.

Since everyone can go everywhere to take shots in this example, no one has more right to a particular spot in my opinion.
01-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
reivax
I think this must be your first encounter with Generation Y?
Anecdote follows-
I went out for a drink with friends last year and when I went to the men's room, I was astonished that young guys were talking on their mobile phones or face-booking or whatever whilst attending to nature. I felt pretty uncomfortable about it - bear in mind that it's hard to tell if someone is simply texting or taking a photo or video with a phone. (I wouldn't stand in the men's room waving a video camera around!)
When I told my friends at the bar, they just said, "Yep, that's Gen Y - welcome to the future!"
Cal
I've actually been a high school teacher for the last 10 years. I have had more encounters with Generation Y than I would like. I also happen to be a part of Gen Y. However, my dad strongly believed in Generation Belt and liked to use it whenever I felt entitled. I think I have to give him a call to thank him for that. It really kept me grounded. I believe the current high school generation is often referred to as Generation Me. Really nice kids, but they have more entitlement issues than any other generation I've ever seen.

01-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #53
Veteran Member

The guy with the website is only credentialed if the event has a process for obtaining credentials and issuing them. I'm a credentialed photo journalist for the Asia Hockey League here in Korea. I have a special pass that grants me access to to the area beside the ice during games, and restricted areas as well I get to go on the ice to take photos during special ceremonies and things like that, in addition I do interviews with the players and staff.

With no access control, it is unlikely anyone is getting credentialed here. High schools usually don't do credentialing anyway. So credentialed vs non-credentialed doesn't come into play here.

The issue is this statement:
QuoteQuote:
Some kids I know are involved and asked if I could take some pictures.
He was asked by the members of the team to go there and take their photo.
Unless the guy with the website was also asked like him, it does elevate him slightly. It's not quite the same as being hired on as an official photographer, but we'd have to know if it was an official request made on behalf of the team, for example did those kids suggest to the team that they should have him come and take their photos so the team said "yes sure, go ahead and ask him to come and take our photos". Keep in mind it's a high school basketball game and not likely to have some of the formality and things more professional events might have.
I would say in this instance he's about as close as you get to an "official photographer"
01-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm Gen Y and I would never stand in front of someone else's photograph. My mother, who couldn't give a "poop" about photography, would have given me hell as a kid. It stays with you. I also teach 8th grade and I can tell you - you can tell a lot about parents from kids.
01-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #55

I do my best to stay out of the way of the pros for the simple fact that they are trying to earn a living. I will observe, learn, and possibly ask questions once the activites subside. I don't want anyone getting in my way when I'm earning a living.

I quit photographing weddings and sports events due to rude behavior of others. I've found its not worth the aggravation. The biggest problem I've had are the non-pros running around $10K in gear but can't capture a good image. When they look at my work they want to know what I'm using to get good shots. I'm really not that good at this art form as much as I consider my self lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

You may want to ask the event coordinator to issue ID tags officializing your efforts and coordinator asking those without the formal creditials to keep back.
01-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is frustrating, particularly when YOU are trying to do the right thing and some one else is being an ass *.
If you were able to move around the arena perhaps repay him the favour or just stay opposite him. Did you check out his shots? maybe another weapon in your armoury for next time is to say that you had and they weren't up to your standard.
Cheers
01-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
It is frustrating, particularly when YOU are trying to do the right thing and some one else is being an ass *.
If you were able to move around the arena perhaps repay him the favour or just stay opposite him. Did you check out his shots? maybe another weapon in your armoury for next time is to say that you had and they weren't up to your standard.
Cheers
Yeah, I saw his pictures. They were blurry and underexposed. The guy was there for a couple of hours with 2 cameras and an assistant that also had 2 cameras (4 Canons in total, if anyone is wondering). They only posted about 40 pictures. They must have taken hundreds of pictures and only about 40 were keepers. Of the 40 I saw, only a couple would have actually made it into my keeper list. Those two weren't of the game itself, they were static shots of audience members. Yeah, if I ever run into the guy again and he pulls his antics again, I'll give him some advice. From his photos, he clearly needs the advice, but I would also do it because I know it would infuriate his hipster way.

I do want to point out that I think my photography technique/skills/abilities have a long ways to go before I would call it professional, or anything even close to that. Every time someone calls me a photographer, I always correct them and tell them that I'm just a guy that likes to take pictures but I thank them for the compliment.
01-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Frankly, you need to teach the guy a lesson. Next time you are shooting the same event, do your level best to get in front of him at every opportunity... and when he complains remind him of his own behavior... This may not be taking the high road, but it is the only route that has any chance of success short of having him kicked out of the venue.
01-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #59
Pentaxian

No surprise that he couldn't get action shots at 35mm focal length. What a doofus.
01-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Argh. Inconsideration makes me incredibly angry. I encountered a guy during a workshop who was so inconsiderate of the other students I actually could not believe it. He seemed convinced that he had the right to ruin other people's shots to get the ones he wanted. Later, everyone was in line to order lunch. He was on the phone when the person taking the orders kept saying "next please." I let the person behind him know that he could go ahead and place his order, but he didn't seem to get what I was saying. So the guy on the phone just stayed on the phone until he was finished, then placed his order as though nothing unusual had happened.

And yes, he was in his early-to-mid twenties.