Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2013, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
could be worse, it could be one of these people holding an IPAD up in front of everyone trying to video or take photos

01-27-2013, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I guess my post is going to be slightly contrarian to the vibe of the thread. No one photographer has the exclusive right to any postion at an event unless they are the designated photographer for the event, and even then, they have to deal with other photographers. This person's answer to check his website out, just shows that he is new to this, as a truly professional photographer would never do that obviously. But...if the rules of the game are that anyone can stand anywhere to take the photo, then he has a right to be shooting where he is and if you have him in your shots, then you should move, or crop him out. Not sure why your photos are "more important" than his. Is it because you have more experience? Even my grandmother with her point and shoot has a right to take a picture of her grandson and would you feel the same way about her if she was in your way? As a hobbyist, I get annoyed at professional photographers who act like they have more rights to the subject matter than me as a mere hobbyist.
01-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lgt525 Quote
I guess my post is going to be slightly contrarian to the vibe of the thread. No one photographer has the exclusive right to any postion at an event unless they are the designated photographer for the event, and even then, they have to deal with other photographers. This person's answer to check his website out, just shows that he is new to this, as a truly professional photographer would never do that obviously. But...if the rules of the game are that anyone can stand anywhere to take the photo, then he has a right to be shooting where he is and if you have him in your shots, then you should move, or crop him out. Not sure why your photos are "more important" than his. Is it because you have more experience? Even my grandmother with her point and shoot has a right to take a picture of her grandson and would you feel the same way about her if she was in your way? As a hobbyist, I get annoyed at professional photographers who act like they have more rights to the subject matter than me as a mere hobbyist.
While that's true, there is certain etiquette. You don't go to a group event and spend the time shooting, say the wedding party, with a 10 mm lens from 2 feet away while everyone struggles to shoot around you.
In the same vein you don't go to a sporting event and run around in all the shooting lanes because you're using an inappropriate lens for that sport. If you want to stand in one exact spot with a short lens and take shots of the action that comes near you appropriate for that length that's one thing, But if you show up with a short lens and spend all the time running up and down the sidelines getting in everyone's way, your equal rights are suddenly not so equal.
01-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
While that's true, there is certain etiquette. You don't go to a group event and spend the time shooting, say the wedding party, with a 10 mm lens from 2 feet away while everyone struggles to shoot around you.
In the same vein you don't go to a sporting event and run around in all the shooting lanes because you're using an inappropriate lens for that sport. If you want to stand in one exact spot with a short lens and take shots of the action that comes near you appropriate for that length that's one thing, But if you show up with a short lens and spend all the time running up and down the sidelines getting in everyone's way, your equal rights are suddenly not so equal.
Very true and well said. But....I can't tell you how many times as a hobbyist I have been shooting with proper etiquette and have had other photographers size up my gear (and how much it cost), make a snap judgement that I was not a professional photographer, and then proceed to try to edge me over so they could get a better shot. It's why I don't bother shooting events anymore. I just pull out my iphone and post the pics on instagram . The thread "dealing with other photographers" can also go both ways .

Last edited by lgt525; 01-27-2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: typos
01-27-2013, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lgt525 Quote
I agree to an extent, but this is more about being considerate. I have no time for "Pros" that are rude either - sorry to any pros that think that they're more important. But consideration of others is something that can't be mandated. Stepping in front of someone that is ALREADY there and set up is rude - period. In that case the newer photog needs to fine their own spot IMHO. I wouldn't step in front of a grandmom with a P&S and I don't expect others to do that to me either - common (or not so common any more) courtesy.

As for being edged over - I guess it doesn't hurt that I'm 6'3" and have been told I can "look mean". I had one try to edge me over once - once.
01-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Stepping in front of someone that is ALREADY there and set up is rude - period. In that case the newer photog needs to fine their own spot IMHO. I wouldn't step in front of a grandmom with a P&S and I don't expect others to do that to me either - common (or not so common any more) courtesy.
I think you said that very well and you certainly echoed my feelings. Like a couple of other said, I often move or remove myself from a scene to help someone else "get their shot". I do not expect others to go quite that far but crowding in front of me would tend to tick me off.
01-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
I think you said that very well and you certainly echoed my feelings. Like a couple of other said, I often move or remove myself from a scene to help someone else "get their shot". I do not expect others to go quite that far but crowding in front of me would tend to tick me off.
Thanks. I have also moved to allow someone else their shot. It's another courtesy that we can offer each other. I don't expect a lot but simple awareness and a bit of courtesy can go a LONG way.

01-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #38
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I agree to an extent, but this is more about being considerate. I have no time for "Pros" that are rude either - sorry to any pros that think that they're more important. But consideration of others is something that can't be mandated. Stepping in front of someone that is ALREADY there and set up is rude - period. In that case the newer photog needs to fine their own spot IMHO. I wouldn't step in front of a grandmom with a P&S and I don't expect others to do that to me either - common (or not so common any more) courtesy.

As for being edged over - I guess it doesn't hurt that I'm 6'3" and have been told I can "look mean". I had one try to edge me over once - once.

I agree that common courtesy should be the norm and should be expected. My point is that the professional status of the photographer does not grant them the right to have the best spots to shoot or the right to lecture hobbyists (unsolicited) on the right equipment to use, distance to shoot from, lens to use, etc. I alway love getting advice from someone who is more skilled and experienced than I am and that is why I am on this forum, read about photography avidly, and why I take workshops. But if I have determined that I have found the right spot for my shot and have decided that my equipment is right for the shot (or the best I have on hand), then I want to take my shot and get out of the way.
01-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I shoot weddings, so I always have friends and family members who are shoting away with everything from a P&S to FF DSLR. If they aren't professionals, they don't often think about the fact that they might be in your shot. The problem with this guy is that he has a website - so clearly he is more than someone's brother looking to take a few pictures for mom and dad's wall of fame.

My guess is that he feels entitles to be wherever he wants. For some reason he feels as though he is credentialed as much of you. If he is at the next game, I would go up to him and ask him who is shooting for. If he is freelancing and hoping to make a couple of bucks by selling to parents, then just explain that you are credentialed to be there and that you don't mind if he is there, but that he needs to stay out of a credentialed photographer's way. Since he was kind of snarky with you before, I think you should be a little snarky back If he is there shooting for someone, then I would explain that you are also there for the same reason and that you will need to find a way to shoot without getting in one another's way. If he doesn't have the gear to get the close up that he wants without being right on the court, that is his fault and he should have to deal with those consequences.
01-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I think it's probably better to go up and talk to another photographer who is getting in your way. There's not a lot that can be done by remonstrating afterwards. Perhaps he was just too wrapped up in what he was doing (and too immature) to realise how annoying he was, and a quiet word in his ear could have allowed you both to compromise over getting the shots that you both wanted.

Or do I just live in a fantasy world of unicorns and rainbows, to imagine that people can actually get their heads together to work out a way forward which is acceptable to both parties?
01-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #41
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I shoot weddings, so I always have friends and family members who are shoting away with everything from a P&S to FF DSLR. If they aren't professionals, they don't often think about the fact that they might be in your shot. The problem with this guy is that he has a website - so clearly he is more than someone's brother looking to take a few pictures for mom and dad's wall of fame.

My guess is that he feels entitles to be wherever he wants. For some reason he feels as though he is credentialed as much of you. If he is at the next game, I would go up to him and ask him who is shooting for. If he is freelancing and hoping to make a couple of bucks by selling to parents, then just explain that you are credentialed to be there and that you don't mind if he is there, but that he needs to stay out of a credentialed photographer's way. Since he was kind of snarky with you before, I think you should be a little snarky back If he is there shooting for someone, then I would explain that you are also there for the same reason and that you will need to find a way to shoot without getting in one another's way. If he doesn't have the gear to get the close up that he wants without being right on the court, that is his fault and he should have to deal with those consequences.
I don't believe that the best spots to shoot only belong to the "credentialed". I also think that whatever equipment someone has should allow that person to shoot the shot he/she wants as long as he/she is not violating house rules. That is just my opinion of course. The reason I even replied to this thread was the tone in the original post and several after that assumed that the better equipment you have and better "credentials" you have, the more right you have to a shooting spot. I would not have thought twice if someone says that it is rude to get in front of someone else's shot. That is a given. What I question in the original post and several other comments after it is the idea that because the original poster's shots are "better" that somehow that factors in to the complaint as more justification that the other guy should not have been shooting in that spot.

Last edited by lgt525; 01-27-2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: typos
01-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by milesy Quote
could be worse, it could be one of these people holding an IPAD up in front of everyone trying to video or take photos
You must be going to the same places I go to to take pictures. So many grandmothers with iPads everywhere! I have nothing against those ladies. While it is an annoying behavior, I don't think ill of them. I tend to think (probably naively in some cases) that they don't know any better. Now, if it's a younger person shooting with an iPad, that's another story.
01-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Sorry that has happened. I like much of the advice already given but I would not recommend involving the event people as that seems incredibly petty for them to be asked to intervene between two feuding photographers. Take it up with the dude one on one and be civil.
I must say I have been on both sides of this, having been the official photographer, hired by the event host, to capture the event and then every time I turn around, there is a hobbyist with a big lens standing in my spot or blocking my thoroughfare to the stage, or set up in my frame, etc...I realize that there are no actual rules or restrictions and though I am hired to work the job, I need to get my shots, DESPITE the actions of others.
That court is fairly large for him to be hanging out in front of you all the time. Get mobile and just be at a 90 degree angle to him at all times so he doesn't even accidentally appear across the court from you in your shots.
Good luck and keep it clean.
01-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
You must be going to the same places I go to to take pictures. So many grandmothers with iPads everywhere! I have nothing against those ladies. While it is an annoying behavior, I don't think ill of them. I tend to think (probably naively in some cases) that they don't know any better. Now, if it's a younger person shooting with an iPad, that's another story.
Haha, those iPads are so silly looking, held up in the air like that. Burn in hell, Steve jobs.
[typed on my iPad 2]
01-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Shoot right next to him, move for move. See how many of his shots you can get that 70-200 in. Or shoot flash over his head.