Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2013, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Dealing With Other Photographers

I wasn't sure if this belonged here, but it seems like dealing with other photographers could be considered a technique. It's definitely a skill I needed last night. This will probably come up again, so I'm hoping that I can get some advice on how to best deal with this issue.

So, last night our small town had its basketball homecoming ceremony. Some kids I know are involved and asked if I could take some pictures. I agreed. I take my Tamron 28-75 and Tamron 70-200. So I'm shooting away, and then all of a sudden, this guy starts appearing in my shots. I don't know who he is, and I'm about 15 ft away (using the telezoom because this is the ceremony and I don't want to be rude and show up in everyone else's shots). This guy is less than 5 ft away from the subjects taking pictures with a 35 mm lens. I'm only able to get two close-ups (not what I wanted) without the guy in the picture. I really wasn't able to take pictures of the kids that asked me to take pictures of them.

Afterwards, I go up to the kid (he's got to be about 19 or 20 years old) so that I can talk to him. I let him know that he shouldn't be shooting that event with a 35 mm because he's going to appear in everyone else's shots. He looks at me very confused. I explain that he appeared in a lot of my shots and that I missed a lot of good pictures because of him. He then responds (now I am not a violent man, but I wanted to get violent at this point) "Don't worry. Just go to my website and download the pictures I took. I got a lot of good pictures." I stand there befuddled. I'm not sure if the guy is joking or serious. He doesn't say anything after that, so I assume he's serious. He was! I explain to him that I'm there taking pictures as well and that I don't need other people taking pictures for me. I continue by saying that I'm fully capable of taking my own pictures. He doesn't seem to get it. I explain again about how he was in a lot of my shots. He then again offers his website so that I can just download his pictures. I'm livid.

After a few minutes of going around like this, I realize this is going nowhere, so I just excuse myself an leave. Now, I know I'll run into this guys again. I live in a small town and I guess this guy has deemed himself the town's local artsy photographer. His photographs are decent, but mine are actually a lot better than his (took me minutes to write that sentence, I think my photos are ok, but they're definitely better than his). How do I deal with this guy the next time I see him.

01-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Judging by his reply; I'm getting this sense that he has been doing this for a while now and he knows how to handle the "situation" already. I'm guessing it's not only you that he pissed-off but other people too. He might also already asked for help from other people and that is how he got his "Don't worry. Just go to my website and download the pictures I took", I bet he knows his "rights" and he's using it w/o being considerate to other people.
01-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
Judging by his reply; I'm getting this sense that he has been doing this for a while now and he knows how to handle the "situation" already. I'm guessing it's not only you that he pissed-off but other people too. He might also already asked for help from other people and that is how he got his "Don't worry. Just go to my website and download the pictures I took", I bet he knows his "rights" and he's using it w/o being considerate to other people.
Have to agree with that assessment. You can't force others to be considerate.
01-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Get the organizers to put some rules in place on where you are allowed to stand to take pictures. I bet a lot of other folks attending had him in their snapshots too. As a group you can get things changed, formally or "informally".

01-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Have to agree with that assessment. You can't force others to be considerate.
The guys been doing it about a year. He started up a local website and takes pictures with his Canon xs and 35mm lens. Not knocking the guy on his equipment, but I try to use the right equipment for the job and I make a point not to get in anyone's way.

What bothers me most is that he acts like a true pro when he's got none of the pro credentials. I just consider myself a guy that takes pictures in his spare time. He's got the whole hipster get up going. He's also some "important" guys kid, or at least that's what someone told me. Someone bought him a camera and now he's a photographer. The impression I got from the guy is that he's doing our little town a favor.

I want to try to act professionally, but jeez, some people just make it so hard.

Here's one of the pictures he accidentally walked in front of:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Seeing the shot, and if I think he did that on purpose.... First of all, In all honesty I'm not a violent man myself but if that was a payed gig that I have, and that person showed up, I will personally make his life hell.
01-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
Seeing the shot, and if I think he did that on purpose.... First of all, In all honesty I'm not a violent man myself but if that was a payed gig that I have, and that person showed up, I will personally make his life hell.
I don't know if the guy did it on purpose or not. What is certain is the guy didn't care. He had no consideration for anyone other than himself. I remember that at one point I told him the event was for the kids and not for him. I don't know if the guy was just acting dumb, but the guy just looked at me with the same confused face he had been looking at me with all night.

What is wrong with people?

01-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

That's no accident. I have many non-photographers stop, detour, crouch low, etc. when they see me setting up a shot - I try to ALWAYS thank them for their consideration. If he's a photog then one basic skill is don't f-up the other photog's shot. If you guys were rivals for different papers or even rivals freelancing for the same local paper - maybe. But this behavior is self-important and disrespectful. However, again you can't mandate consideration or politeness. Sorry.
01-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If he's going to be inconsiderate towards you and act as a big-shot pro photog, next time if you run into him, tell him to get out of your way because you're getting paid for the photos you're taking. Even if you really aren't and have to lie, just do it and maybe he'll listen and back off. I'd be so ticked off in a situation like this...
01-26-2013, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

This topic should really be named "Dealing with idiots".
01-26-2013, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

What's wrong with you?!? Don't you know it's all about HIM!? He certainly does. That's the way the folks in his generation are taught to think. Folks of MY generation, unfortunately, where so worried about bruising his precious little ego and self-esteem that they produced a whole generation of selfish, self-centered morons.

Last edited by gjtoth; 01-26-2013 at 10:52 AM.
01-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #12

Almost every year I go to the post parade float viewing for the Rose Parade. I know there is going to be a ton of people there with no "photo etiquette" skills. I just take the widest zoom I own, wait until no one around me is shooting, get in front of everybody, get my shot, then get out of everyone's way. This isn't going to work at a ball game though. Maybe you should just set up in front of him, even if that's too close, and then "zoom back" with your legs. He'll move as you're walking backwards. Maybe after a few times he'll get the hint and stand well clear of you.

On a side note, most SLR users I've seen are pretty polite and try to stay out of each others way. I try to be very mindful of where I'm at knowing full well that even the guy with the point and shoot has the same right to a photo as I do.

Last edited by post_eos; 01-26-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling
01-26-2013, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

You've already tried speaking with the rude guy. My suggested next step is to raise the issue with those in charge of the game (probably before or after the game, not during). Calmly describe the situation. You are trying to stand back from the court so other people can enjoy the game. This guy interferes with your view and with others' views. Making all spectators (whether a photog or just watching) maintain a minimum distance sounds like a good solution.

If the organizers seem clueless or lazy, explain that such behavior encourages other people to stand courtside in order to see the game. That will become a distraction for the players. Or, if you're dealing with bureaucrats, alert the organizers that there's a safety/lawsuit issue if a player collides with the guy.

If that logic fails, I'd be tempted to slip into passive-aggressive mode. Speak with other people inconvenienced by the guy. As a group, emulate his behavior, then see if he gets it. If many people are standing courtside the ref should notice and make you all move back.
01-26-2013, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Tazer him
01-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Or mace... Either way being nice or even getting mildly aggressive will accomplish nothing. He deliberately walked in front of you... My take on it....