Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
Forum Member

Need help with exposure problems and snow photography problems, urgent please respond

It was snowing an hour ago and I went out to take some shots. I used a roll of film and then switched to my K10d. I took some shots and when I look at the LCD the pictures seem darker than the actual scene. Now is it that the LCD is messed up or is something wrong with my metering system?

02-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Its because of all the snow. The meter is seeing all the bright white and is going to try to drop the exposure to compensate. Usually when shooting in the snow you need to make sure you are metering off only your subject, or just change your EV compensation up a stop or so.
02-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok well is there a way to fix the pictures I already took? And I forgot to ask before what white balance should I use?
02-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Next time just meter off the snow +2EV.

02-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by montezuma Quote
Ok well is there a way to fix the pictures I already took? And I forgot to ask before what white balance should I use?
you can add exposure/brightness using post processing programs...
02-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by montezuma Quote
If you shot in RAW this is pretty easy to fix, you can change the exposure and wb pretty easy. What wb to use initially kind of depends on the situation, but I'm guessing if it was snowing cloudy would probably get you pretty close. If you know how to do custom wb, that would get you right on since the snow is white, hopefully.
02-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the best solution I find in the snow is to use spot metering on the subject (usually darker than the snow, and let the highlights in the snow burn out. otherwise you will espose the snow at the middle of your histogram, and be totally messd up
02-24-2008, 05:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I snow I just push EV +0.5 to +1, and I set the metering to spot

Seems to work ok for me.

Pat