Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

touching story: my way of helping future photography students - long read

I received this touching e-mail and responded after doing my homework on the foundation. They do not yet have 501(c)3 status. I hope my small contribution can help the scholarship, and perhaps further a future photography student's career.

(Disclaimer: I am not soliciting kudos by sharing this story. To me it's more important to share what I can in my own little way to help others, and hopefully brighten someone's future. Sometimes the griping I see on forums is beyond me, and people lose sight of the bigger picture I guess? I'd rather share something positive out of a human tragedy.)

-------- Original Message --------

Dear Mr. Langille,

My name is Barbara Corbett, and I found your website on the Central States Nature Photographers site this morning, and your photographs are very beautiful. I am writing to you today with a question that begins with an explanation:

My best friend had a daughter, named Nicole, who was a junior at the University of Missouri St. Louis. Nicole was a talented young photography student with a bright future when she was killed last year by a drunk driver. My friend, Denise, is devastated by the loss of her only child. Who knows what moments Nicole would have photographed and preserved forever? That potential has been lost. Denise has set up a scholarship fund in Nicole's name, and is having an art auction in March to raise money for it. I am writing to you today in hopes that you might consider donating one of your photographs for the auction.

You have several on your website that struck me as especially beautiful: Misty Morning Devils Den, Lee Creek Dam, Adjudicator, Wary Male, and Migration Time.

Some of the artists that have donated a piece of artwork have also given me some of their business cards to be available to people attending the auction. The auction will be in St. Louis, and is expected to be a very large event, as Nicole's death has been in the news there since last April.

If you would like to see a picture of Nicole, read about her life, and see news accounts of her death, you can visit:

Nicole Allen (1986 - 2007)

If you'd like to donate a photograph for the auction, you can email me or call me at <phone number removed>. I would be more than happy to pick up the photograph, at a time that is convenient for you. The artwork will then be displayed at the gallery in St. Louis the week leading up to the auction on March 14th.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration,

Sincerely,
Barbara Corbett

Hi Barbara,

Thank you for stopping by to look at my images - you are very kind! Please call me Marc... ;-)

Regarding your request: I would be glad to help you out. I have a couple of questions for you:

Would you be able explain what will be the scholarship funds will be used for - is it for a specific type of student? (Simple curiosity questions, nothing more.)
  1. Do you require only the print?
  2. What size of print are you looking for?
This is only to help me help you, so no worries Barbara. Look forward to helping out.

Regards,
Marc

Hi Marc,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your help.

In answer to your questions, it is my understanding that it will be a scholarship specifically for a photography student, since that was Nicole's major, and it was something that she truly loved. The scholarship will be a way to do something positive in Nicole's memory, by helping future photography students.

As to your other questions, it is completely up to you as far as a donation is concerned. A print is perfectly fine, and can be in and of itself, or it can be framed... the size of the print is totally up to you.

Just as a couple of examples: an art teacher at the community college donated a painting... it has a matte and a frame; but there is also an artist from Fayetteville who donated a painting, and it is not in a frame, it's simply the canvas. The two paintings are of different sizes, different themes, different styles. There will be a variety of art at the auction, including the photography, and the paintings, as well as some pottery. So, it's really up to each individual as to what they would like to donate.

Your photographs are really beautiful, and would make a wonderful addition to the collection, whether or not they're framed, and whatever size they are. Your work
is simply stunning... they're the kind of photos that make a person just stop and stare, and almost forget to breathe. There really is no "right" way to present it, or "correct" size... each work of art is as individual as the artist themselves.

I am so grateful for your interest, and look forward to hearing from you. If you have further questions, please just let me know.

Thanks again,
Barbara

I will be donating my Misty Morning image and perhaps another to the auction... it's the least I can do...

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 02-25-2008 at 06:40 AM. Reason: removed Barbara's phone #
02-25-2008, 01:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good for you, Marc. Darn decent.
02-25-2008, 01:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Marc, this is in deed very touching and i hope the donation helps. You are really a kind person
02-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's cool Marc - paying it forward.

02-25-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tough story Marc, I hope something good will come of the sholarship and she has a good turn out. Good for you to help.