Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rortiz Quote
Anzac Parade after balloons take off - check!
Specifically at the side of lake near Anzac Parade (that is where I took the snap shots below) but as someone has suggested finding an elevated position you might also want to check out Regatta Point near the restaurant/business centre, it's right on the lake and relatively elevated. If you wanted to go for a really panoramic view of the whole city and the balloons you could go up Mount Ainslie. You could also check out Aspen Island (where the Carillion is) it might yield some interesting views of the balloons above the lake.

Another place I just thought is the small bridge over the path from the lake up to Reconciliation Place (in the middle of the first photo I posted you can see a gap in the walls between the Gallery of Australian Design and the Water's Edge restaurant - there's a bridge over that path).

02-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Gifthorse, great tips! I do plan to get shots from when the balloons are being inflated and hoping that they do do a Glow Show. The Caberra Balloon festival is supposed to be one of the four best in the world, so am confident that the pilots will go through the routine if only for show.

Good tip about a high vantage point. Lucky we have Mike L on this thread, he's given specific locations for me to look at. I need to make sure I get to Canberra early enough so I can scout the places Mike L suggested.

Cheers,

Ramon

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
If you've never been to a balloon festival, you have got to be on the field to see a Glow Show and the mass of balloons taking off. Having said that, away from the field will give you some shots that are different from the thousands of others that are being taken.

If you do get away from the field, try to get some elevation, on a hillside or a highrise building. Come back and show off some of your shots after the festival.

Oh, one more tip....if you see a balloon descending towards you, move out of the way. These thing can't be steered very well and that "lighter than air" balloon actually weighs several hundred kilos.
02-13-2013, 01:56 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mike L, nothing like local knowledge! I will need to make sure I get to Canberra 2:00pm at the latest the day before so I can check these places out and come up with a strategy on how to move from one location to another and not miss a good photo opp.

Cheers,

Ramon

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
Specifically at the side of lake near Anzac Parade (that is where I took the snap shots below) but as someone has suggested finding an elevated position you might also want to check out Regatta Point near the restaurant/business centre, it's right on the lake and relatively elevated. If you wanted to go for a really panoramic view of the whole city and the balloons you could go up Mount Ainslie. You could also check out Aspen Island (where the Carillion is) it might yield some interesting views of the balloons above the lake.

Another place I just thought is the small bridge over the path from the lake up to Reconciliation Place (in the middle of the first photo I posted you can see a gap in the walls between the Gallery of Australian Design and the Water's Edge restaurant - there's a bridge over that path).
02-13-2013, 02:00 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Remember that balloons are a few kilos heavier than you - CHECK !!

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Oh, one more tip....if you see a balloon descending towards you, move out of the way. These thing can't be steered very well and that "lighter than air" balloon actually weighs several hundred kilos.

02-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Not sure when you are coming to Canberra but Saturday, 16 March there will be a big fireworks display in Canberra too.

QuoteQuote:
Thanks Mike L, nothing like local knowledge! I will need to make sure I get to Canberra 2:00pm at the latest the day before so I can check these places out and come up with a strategy on how to move from one location to another and not miss a good photo opp.
Car will be the simplest/fastest way to get to spots on the other side of the lake, at that time of the day you won't have any problems with traffic or parking (for Regatta Point I'd be looking to park in the small carpark on the eastern side of Commonwealth Avenue near the Captain Cook fountain).

Depending on your fitness level it takes 30-45 mins to walk to the other side of the lake.
02-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
It'll probably take me double the time!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
Depending on your fitness level it takes 30-45 mins to walk to the other side of the lake.
02-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #22

Hi Rortiz, I live in Canberra and used to crew for a mate who flew ballons, but haven't attend this festival since about 2001. Back then there were only 'glows' by a few key ballons, and by others only if the conditions were perfect. Organisers were more focused on getting them all up and away safely given the tight spaces and amount of public around.

If I can add to Mike L's comments, you would be better off driving to ANZAC parade carpark, by heading East from the launch field and over Kings Ave bridge. This places you on the correct side of Parks Way to access the carpark. Scope it first though as they sometimes close it for the Canberra week activities.

The Regatta point area would be a good vantage spot also, either continue along Parkes Way and left back up onto Commonwealth Ave and turn into the access road just before crossing Commonwealth Ave bridge heading south. If you want to go directly there from the launch, head west from the field, right at the National Library, pass under C'Wealth bridge on the loop road, then over the bridge north. There is an access road on your left 100m after the bridge. This area is also a good location as the baloons will likely drift in this direction.

The general flght paths in my experience have been most commonly N/W, or S/W.

N/W takes them over C'Wealth Ave, over or the the city side of Black Mountain, ending up in Belconnen near the Canberra Staduim or Kaleen. There are a few good landing choices here for them.

S/W takes them West of Parliment House and ending up around the sports fields of Deakin near the Mint building.

They rarely drift East, and if it is still they dance around the lake area between Regatta Point and the National Museum.

If you end up following them for some distance, be aware there will be a few others doing this and all the crew Suport vehicles as well. Keep your eye on these guys as they will pull over where ever they can to re-assess their route. All this happens at the start of the morning traffic, which isn't heavy in comparison to Sydney, though you will be on 80K/h + arterial roads, and the local punters will be rubber necking as well.

In all it's a sight worth seeing, hope you get what you want and enjoy your time here.

02-28-2013, 03:23 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the excellent tips. Always great to hear from one who has actually been there and done that.

Ramon

QuoteOriginally posted by Davo61 Quote
Hi Rortiz, I live in Canberra and used to crew for a mate who flew ballons, but haven't attend this festival since about 2001. Back then there were only 'glows' by a few key ballons, and by others only if the conditions were perfect. Organisers were more focused on getting them all up and away safely given the tight spaces and amount of public around.

If I can add to Mike L's comments, you would be better off driving to ANZAC parade carpark, by heading East from the launch field and over Kings Ave bridge. This places you on the correct side of Parks Way to access the carpark. Scope it first though as they sometimes close it for the Canberra week activities.

The Regatta point area would be a good vantage spot also, either continue along Parkes Way and left back up onto Commonwealth Ave and turn into the access road just before crossing Commonwealth Ave bridge heading south. If you want to go directly there from the launch, head west from the field, right at the National Library, pass under C'Wealth bridge on the loop road, then over the bridge north. There is an access road on your left 100m after the bridge. This area is also a good location as the baloons will likely drift in this direction.

The general flght paths in my experience have been most commonly N/W, or S/W.

N/W takes them over C'Wealth Ave, over or the the city side of Black Mountain, ending up in Belconnen near the Canberra Staduim or Kaleen. There are a few good landing choices here for them.

S/W takes them West of Parliment House and ending up around the sports fields of Deakin near the Mint building.

They rarely drift East, and if it is still they dance around the lake area between Regatta Point and the National Museum.

If you end up following them for some distance, be aware there will be a few others doing this and all the crew Suport vehicles as well. Keep your eye on these guys as they will pull over where ever they can to re-assess their route. All this happens at the start of the morning traffic, which isn't heavy in comparison to Sydney, though you will be on 80K/h + arterial roads, and the local punters will be rubber necking as well.

In all it's a sight worth seeing, hope you get what you want and enjoy your time here.
03-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We have the Adirondack Balloon Festival nearby every fall. I have attended many years but what can be disappointing is getting all my gear, waking up at 3:00 AM, driving to the festival site and patiently waiting for daybreak only to have the wind pick up and none of the balloons will fly or even attempt to inflate. Your DA 15 should work. I haven't had the chance to use mine yet because the conditions didn't allow it the past 2 years I attended. I also have the DA 10-17 fisheye and it does a wonderful job. It allows you to get up very, very close and get the whole balloon in the frame.
03-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for replying reeftool. I didn't want to wake up at 2:00am do have booked accommodations . I hope the wind doesn't pick up too much. From what I've researched, it looks like the festival in Canberra is what it is because of the mild autumn weather.

Love to get my hands on a 10-17 and have actually gotten really close to pulling the trigger a few times but my priority at the moment is a second body - probably a K-30 but would settle for a low shutter count K-5 if the price is right. .. now back to surfing fleabay......

Cheers,

Ramon

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
We have the Adirondack Balloon Festival nearby every fall. I have attended many years but what can be disappointing is getting all my gear, waking up at 3:00 AM, driving to the festival site and patiently waiting for daybreak only to have the wind pick up and none of the balloons will fly or even attempt to inflate. Your DA 15 should work. I haven't had the chance to use mine yet because the conditions didn't allow it the past 2 years I attended. I also have the DA 10-17 fisheye and it does a wonderful job. It allows you to get up very, very close and get the whole balloon in the frame.
03-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #26

Thanks for replying reeftool. I didn't want to wake up at 2:00am do have booked accommodations . I hope the wind doesn't pick up too much. From what I've researched, it looks like the festival in Canberra is what it is because of the mild autumn weather.

Love to get my hands on a 10-17 and have actually gotten really close to pulling the trigger a few times but my priority at the moment is a second body - probably a K-30 but would settle for a low shutter count K-5 if the price is right. .. now back to surfing fleabay......

Cheers,

Ramon
K-01 could be a second body, much cheaper than the 30...
03-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I had a serious look at the K-01 but decided that it was different enough in operation to my K-5 that the potential for missed shots will always be a factor. Considering that the context for a second body was to use it for paid work as well as less wasted time therefore less lost shots in between lens changes, the K-30 was looking pretty good.

Thanks for suggesting though K-01 IS a great choice.

QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
K-01 could be a second body, much cheaper than the 30...
03-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #28
Pentaxian

If you're here next Friday or Saturday night be sure to check out the Enlighten event around the parliamentary triangle. The National Library, National Gallery, Questacon, Old Parliament House and the Portrait Gallery are being lit up with projected images, very cool stuff to see.
03-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
My Favourite Shots

Hi All,

All your tips made shooting on the day a lot easier. Again thank you!

Shooting conditions weren't too good. I had two days of almost total cloud cover. The second day, most of the balloons were sent to a different staging area as the wind was blowing in a direction that would have caused the balloons to fly into restricted air space. Considering that there were already two mishaps: one flying into the Treasury building and another ending up in the lake, the organisers decided to play it safe.

Here are a few of my favourite shots:
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi All,

All your tips made shooting on the day a lot easier. Again thank you!

Shooting conditions weren't too good. I had two days of almost total cloud cover. The second day, most of the balloons were sent to a different staging area as the wind was blowing in a direction that would have caused the balloons to fly into restricted air space. Considering that there were already two mishaps: one flying into the Treasury building and another ending up in the lake, the organisers decided to play it safe.

Here are a few of my favourite shots:
They look great! worth getting up really early for..

I notice the guy holding the canopy? in the 3rd image doesn't have any eyebrows, I wonder why?