Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How often do you change your setting?

The other post about 'What mode to shoot kids in?' got me thinking. I know that there are many of you out there that are die hard manual, and others are predominantly Av users. I guess I am curious if you mainly stay in that one mode or does what you are shooting determine what mode you shoot?

Me personally I am Av, but if I want more control then I go to TAv, but as in the moon shots that we all took during the eclips I eventually went to full manual by the end of the night.

02-25-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

i use AV with my only DA lens

i also use AV if i'm just walking around taking snapshots with my FA lenses

however my most used lenses are fully manual, so i'm forced to use M, which really isnt that bad, just an extra press of a button.
02-25-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Mostly AV

I mostly use AV.... I need to really get into the Manual mode but just haven't yet... Yep you can hear the chickens squawkin!!! LOL

This summer I am sure I will.. esspecially because I will have more time then due to being a teacher and having the summer off..

Kim
02-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I mostly use Av mode (with EV on the second dial), but having recently discovered P-shift I find myself using that more and more. I set the program mode to MTF, so I know that I'll be given an "optimal" default aperture and then I can shift depth of field vs. shutter speed with a quick twist as appropriate.

02-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
99% of time I'm in Av mode, fiddling with Ev compensation a bit, and contrast, sharpness, saturations, every time light conditions change... Only my 135 f2.8 gets to be used in M (it doesn't work in any other ) and that's really rarely
02-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Av with no flash (or outside fill-flash), Manual for inside flash (flash is in P-TTL, errrr E-TTL now )

That's really all you need.
02-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Av mostly for A, FA, and DA lens. M for M42 and M lens. Also just started playing with P mode and like it quite a bit. Most of my current shooting I don't need to worry about shutter speed all that much. Once I get a remote switch rigged up and a good tripod (on the way) I'll be hitting up B mode.

02-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #8

Mainly Av (or Hyperprogram with emphasis on changing aperture), but I will switch to Tv where moving objects are involved (eg. race cars) and I want to pan. And I will switch to full manual (and then use a process of elimination-type methodology) if I'm just not getting it 'right'!
02-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #9

My K10D was having issues with blowing out the highlights in any automatic mode while shooting Bryce Canyon in snow two weekends ago in any automatic mode so I had to leave AV and TAV behind and learn to shoot Manual. I decided I liked the control and its definitely helping me to learn the craft.

Of course because I had to shoot manual and we were walking in out out of shadows I had to be constantly changing settings but it was a good learning experience.
02-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I use manual when I am 'playing.' But when I am shooting the kids, I use TV or AV... sometimes even P if Iam trying to just grab a shot quickly.
02-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I agree mostly AV but quite a few of my lens are M so go there. It takes me awhile to get used to and takes longer to get shots. when at a family event I set to jpeg and P to get the quick P&S shots.
02-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
The other post about 'What mode to shoot kids in?' got me thinking. I know that there are many of you out there that are die hard manual, and others are predominantly Av users. I guess I am curious if you mainly stay in that one mode or does what you are shooting determine what mode you shoot?

Me personally I am Av, but if I want more control then I go to TAv, but as in the moon shots that we all took during the eclips I eventually went to full manual by the end of the night.
I use P mode most often with the DA lenses, but do not hesitate to switch to Manual when necessary. I have never found, with the Pentax program shift available that the other AF modes are really all that necessary, unless I am working specifically toward controlling my depth of field, and then I will use Av.

My experience with AE enabled cameras started with Aperture priority, so I automatically think of the aperture and change it to change the shutter speed when maintaining exposure. I have never quite grasped the idea that for sports you set a high shutter speed and let the camera control the aperture.

For sports, the simplest way to get a high shutter speed is to open up the aperture. The camera will then set the highest shutter speed that will give you the exposure. You don't need to keep checking the metering to see that you need to lower the shutter speed a stop or two because the light has fallen off and the camera has no f/stop settings that work.

[Donning flame proof asbestos suit]
02-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It depends a lot for me.

I switch between P, Av, Tv, and M a lot. I also change my program line a bit as well.
02-25-2008, 05:42 PM   #14

I use pet mode, changing from cat to dog when appropriate.

Av about half the time, with the rest split between P (for shutter priority and snapshots) and M (in tricky conditions and for consistency indoors).
02-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I never use P mode, or Hyperprogram or the green button (not really a mode). There are so many options with these cameras, K10 in particular. I think there will have to be a K30 before I am ready to upgrade as I am still a newbie myself. So much to learn and so little time.