Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Selective colour- who likes em- who hates em?

There was one particular image I took out the other day that was taken for two different purposes, but both selective colour.

The first rendition I created black and white image the frame and brought back selected parts in full colour in a layer placed over the first layer creating a contrast.

In the second shot for the "Rust Never Sleeps" thread, I've bumped the reds to make that rust pop out, because I find rust is always interesting, especially emphasized.

The first image is part of a long tradition in photography that goes back to the hand pointing with water colours, of black and white images. That type of image has been available for sale for generations at craft shows and galleries. We've found in our own shows that there is still a strong demand for this type of image. To me, photography is an artistic medium. I have absolutely no issue with folks doing what they want to create those images. To me it's the final image that counts. Others have a professed bias against what they see as the manipulation of images. They see the image that comes off the camera as some kind of preferred reality, and see those who manipulate in any way as cheaters, almost like athletes who use steroids or something like that.

I'm always uncomfortable stating what others believe, if I understood what they understand, I might believe what I believe.. so this is your chance, all you haters... a place to air your grievances with the manipulators of photographic reality.

02-12-2013, 01:14 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When done right it is fine.

When not done right...

Color Bum

The Camo Family

Color Clique

The Baby & The Spoon

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-12-2013 at 01:21 PM.
02-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think that this technique can be used to create some very effective photographs, but it certainly isn't something that should be used on a daily basis. With that said I generally use the selective color tool to remove fringing

But here's one exception, shot 4 years ago I believe:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I admit to dabbling in it occasionally. I'm not sure I get the vitriol I read from others about it. To me, it's no different from using the contrast, sharpening, or saturation sliders - it's a tool at your disposal and if the photo seems to call for it, why not?

02-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I admit to dabbling in it occasionally. I'm not sure I get the vitriol I read from others about it.
Just check out the links above...

And keep in mind these are people trying to pass themselves off as "pros".
02-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Just check out the links above...

And keep in mind these are people trying to pass themselves off as "pros".
Well yeah.... I guess I do get it in those cases.
02-12-2013, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Some people think it's too gimmicky and old and also "is an affectation and past pull date these days"

sometimes I like it though...

sorry too big...

02-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Everything is good in moderation and with good planning .

Photography is art ... a lot of people forget the roots of photography - its basically a bastard child of art .
Now, there are different levels of photography ... as I call them:

"Pure photography" ... what you click is what you get ... you modify anything, you loose .

"Normal photography" ... by today's standards ... with slight post-processing to help with framing and color balance.

"Art photography" ... same as above but with additional changes to create a vintage mood or something different - like borders, scratches etc ...

"Photography as a background for art" ... taken to extreme ... you use the image as a background to create something completely futuristic ... or magical, depending on your vision; like taking picture of a landscape and then in Photoshop paint (actually paint not paste things) a futuristic city ...

Now, of what you want to be part of ... is up to you as a photographer ... or artist .

Color selections are great ways to emphasise something. I like them as long they have sense and they send a message ...
02-12-2013, 01:48 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

I use it on occasion but it has to be for a very specific application...

"After the Fall"
02-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Now that's a shot that needs to be seen on a larger scale to be appreciated. Too small as shown but I can tell as a 13x19 print it would be spectacular.
02-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I rarely use it but I can't see why it's hated upon to the level it is. Many seems to argue that it looks "unrealistic and fake" but at the same time people cheers over the top landscapes and really creative unnatural lighting arrangement.

02-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
HSV
Veteran Member

I've never used selective color per se...but what I've done is to de-saturate specific elements of the background so they are less catchy to the eye (specially people with bright and colorful clothes in the background). I only do this when most of the background is de-saturated anyways (such as concrete or other man-made structures) so it doesn't look too weird. I'll never do this with trees, skies, and that sort of thing.
02-12-2013, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not a fan of the effect in general, not for any philosophical reasons, but simply because I have seen so few selective color images that I like. It is an arresting effect, no doubt, but to me it calls attention to itself as effect much too strongly. For me it needs to be a very isolated bit of a single color, tied to a strong form, as in Mike's example.
02-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Photography is art ... a lot of people forget the roots of photography - its basically a bastard child of art . Now, there are different levels of photography ... as I call them: "Pure photography" ... what you click is what you get ... you modify anything, you loose . "Normal photography" ... by today's standards ... with slight post-processing to help with framing and color balance. "Art photography" ... same as above but with additional changes to create a vintage mood or something different - like borders, scratches etc ...
This is much as I see it.
What separates the men from the boys is the film slide. It is the true measure of your skill. Your framing and exposure are frozen in the medium. PP is only possible in the modern age with sophisticated programs.
I must admit, that since I have only rudimentary PP skills and an elementary program, my pictures are at a disadvantage in any comparisons. I usually settle for adjusting light and shadow if I do anything at all.

My standard is that it shouldn't be obvious. Too much is like the make-up on a hooker - not complementary. (If it is obvious my lady has make-up, then it is too much for me.)
Selected colour can be effective if it is to make a point, or emphasize the subject, but when it is just for 'effect', the effect is usually negative for me.
So yes, I am more interested in seeing 'honest' photographs, more than artistic ones.
02-12-2013, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I'm not a fan of the effect in general, not for any philosophical reasons, but simply because I have seen so few selective color images that I like. It is an arresting effect, no doubt, but to me it calls attention to itself as effect much too strongly. For me it needs to be a very isolated bit of a single color, tied to a strong form, as in Mike's example.
No sense in me trying to reword that.