Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

2nd shooter pricing??

So, I've been booked to shoot a friends wedding in October. So not to go in empty handed, I've thrown myself out to the wolves as a 2nd shooter. I'm looking mostly for experience, not so much pay.

So far I've got a 'Wedding Weekend Crash Course' in July as I will be assisting/2nd shooting with a local photographer for a Saturday and Sunday.

I've also been contacted by another photographer for a few all day 10 hour events. I'll have to travel to work with him and it sounds like he's looking to cut me some loot. Since I'll have to travel, he's already offering to cover expenses at the very least. But still wants to know what kind of further compensation I'd ask.

Does anyone have experience out there with/as 2nd shooters? I'm not really sure how to reply.

Thanks ahead of time!

02-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If you lack experience and are attempting to gain that through this, I'd suggest being honest with the photographer and saying so (all of it). After all, that's the best way to gain the respect of those in your area you will eventually be competing against. At this point, a good percent of my work comes from other photographers in the area referring clients to me, just as I refer clients to them when the work requested isn't my speciality or interest.

To ensure the respect of my clients (past, present, and future), I also will not accept payment for work I cannot absolutely guarantee. Either I will refer the client to another photographer or do the work with an understanding the experience gained is my reward. If there are costs for the client involved with the shoot, I will only accept the job if the client insists (with a clear understanding of the possible financial risks).

Since I don't do wedding photography, I have little advice to offer beyond that. However, I will wish you good luck in your endeavors.

stewart
02-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
So, I've been booked to shoot a friends wedding in October. So not to go in empty handed, I've thrown myself out to the wolves as a 2nd shooter. I'm looking mostly for experience, not so much pay.

So far I've got a 'Wedding Weekend Crash Course' in July as I will be assisting/2nd shooting with a local photographer for a Saturday and Sunday.

I've also been contacted by another photographer for a few all day 10 hour events. I'll have to travel to work with him and it sounds like he's looking to cut me some loot. Since I'll have to travel, he's already offering to cover expenses at the very least. But still wants to know what kind of further compensation I'd ask.

Does anyone have experience out there with/as 2nd shooters? I'm not really sure how to reply.

Thanks ahead of time!
I will start by saying that since I don't do this, I cant offer hard facts about what you should ask in terms of compensation, but here is my 2 cents worth

I think you have some options.

Since he is already covering expenses, you are off to a good start.

I think you could propose either of the following but not both

- a flat fee, based upon some hourly fee, and this should include some level of compensation for the purchase of your camera. If you assume as a full time photographer, you would capatilize the camera over 2-3 years, that is 6000 hours of work. divide the cost of camera by 6000 and that is part of your fee, the other part is what your time is worth. this might be minimum wage since you are new.

or

- a comission on the shots you take that generate profit for him. For this I think you could look at the selling price of each print, at each size, look at the production cost to make the print, which might incluide post processing editing and cropping all of whiuch are his time, not yours, and then come up with a figure as a royalty. I have no idea what this would be.
02-29-2008, 07:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Realistically, this is what's known as an "apprenticeship." I would be inclined to accept the expenses, and not ask for further compensation.

However, in my business experience (film and video production), when confronted with a situation wherein you might/will be paid but are not sure how much to ask for, I learned that it is best to let the other party decide how much. I have NEVER been disappointed, they usually decide to pay more than I would have asked for. Conversely, they feel that they have received fair value because they paid what they thought it was worth.

02-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Along the same idea - rather than seeking extra $, is there any room for:
a. negotiating to maintain the original copyright to your photos,
b. setting a reasonable limit on the number of photos/copies printed by the primary photographer after which you might ask for some compensation, ie you have fantastic day vs the pro having an off day - the pro probably has access to some discounts on items such as software/filters/etc that you might find useful in the future
c. perhaps even just the opportunity to try some of the pros kit/have the pro spend some time with you teaching you some techniques before hand
d. model release by the couple giving exclusive ownership/use of the photos by you in the future to build/market your portfolio.

Other thought. My limited experience is that the second photographer often captures the "candid" shot while the pro is setting up/not around - the candid is quite treasured too. Ken.
03-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hey J

I'm a wedding photographer. I've got a little business running, but I'm going to put it on hold because I just got hired on for some good money.

I was a second shooter for three years before I started hearing from people I was working for that I should lead shoot.

I shot for lots of local photographers. In my experience, when a photographer was bringing me for the first time, money wasnt talked about. You are doing the right thing to get experience first.

My guess is that your lead photographer already has a payrate in mind for you.
For St. Louis, the least amount of money I ever made (for weddings) was $12/hr.
So 12-15/hr was what I was making when I started out. (about $100/day)
I started getting more gear and technical knowledge, and I started to get paid around $200/day flat rate.
Then I started taking budget weddings on my own from $600-$1000/day (minus all costs for making the package and that kind of stuff)

And now I'm hired up at $100/hr.

Just tell your lead photographer that you dont really know what the proper payrate is, 'so how's fifteen an hour sound?'

just like that.

and an all day event should day land about a C-note