Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #16

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm introverted and very subconscious of myself when I'm in public with my camera. People like me, but I'm not a people person. I have shot people, but I prefer animals and architecture and landscapes. At least they don't talk back .

02-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #17
Forum Member

Another introvert here, who prefers to shoot architecture and landscape. Although, street photography really fascinates me. I would love to be able to walk up to a stranger and take their picture, but that's a bit out of my comfort zone. Maybe I'll start with the 300 mm and work my way down to a 35?
02-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Yet another thing shooter.

I don't really like people, photography is one of my ways of going off on my own and ignoring people.

That's why many of my photos are of abandoned places and mechanical things, I find if there are people around I can't concentrate and can't hear my own thoughts.
It's also why I don't really go out and take photos with other photographer friends. When I'm with other people I can't concentrate on the scene, or what I want in the end image.

It probably doesn't help that I'm not very good socially, dealing with people requires constant thought of what to say, what body language to put out, what facial expression, etc. It's really quite tiring.
That combined with the fact I'm extremely OCD makes shooting people, or with people, difficult.

I like shooting on my own, I don't need to think about anybody, and if I want I can happily spend an hour setting up a shot without people getting annoyed that it's taking an hour.
03-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I'm an introvert,too. Although I'd love to be better at street photography, I have a hard time approaching strangers out in public. The odd thing is, in my job as a videographer, I have to approach and shoot strangers all the time...and have no problem with it. It's like I give myself permission to do it because it's my job. I thought I was alone in being like this until I had a conversation with a couple of other people recently who are the same way...introverted by nature, but able to be more outgoing at work because "it's their job". For me, still photography is a lot like meditation. I have to focus intensely...and not just with my camera. So, to go out with other photographers or to carry on a conversation while I'm shooting totally breaks the spell. Regarding the relationship between photographers and their choice of subjects...the first time I ever really thought about this was at a workshop years ago where the instructor was doing individual portfolio reviews and would bring us in 4 or 5 folks at a time. This meant we were able to hear what he was saying to some of the other workshop participants. There was one lady who was pretty cocky about her photography. When we were deciding what order to go in, she leaned back in a chair, put her hands behind her head, and said, "You guys might want to go on ahead. I'm pretty sure he's going to want to take some time with me." I don't know if the instructor heard her or not, but it sure seemed like he set out to make an example of her. She had decent pictures, but nothing really tremendous. Shots of old tractors covered in weeds, abandoned houses, general landscapes, etc... The instructor asked her why there were no people in her pictures. He said, "You've mentioned having a family. Where are your children and husband? Do you not relate well to your kids? Are you having problems in your marriage and that's why you have no pictures of your husband?" He totally grilled her about the isolation and lack of humanity in her photos until she burst into tears, scooped up her stuff, and ran out of the room. When it came time for my review, the instructor looked over my sheets of slides and asked, "Why are there no people in your pictures? Where is your family?" I thought, "Uh oh...here it comes". I explained that I don't really like taking people pics and while I do shoot my family, I do it mostly just to record family events. I said, "If you'll notice, the vast majority of my shots are taken at sunrise. It's not that I'm trying to keep people out of my shots. There's simply nobody else up and around at that hour except me." He shrugged and said, "Oh, okay" and went on to give me a very helpful review of my work. Before that experience, I had never really been aware of what my choice of subjects said about me.

03-01-2013, 05:47 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From looking over this thread I guess all the "people people" are off talking to people and not posting in web forums.
03-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
From looking over this thread I guess all the "people people" are off talking to people and not posting in web forums.
Or maybe taking pictures of each other .

Seriously, there's a huge number of people taking people pictures (PTPP), most of them using cell phones and posting these on various social media. While many of us here might not consider this bona-fide photography, it's not going away anytime soon. And, we must also not lose sight of how we fit in the grand scheme. I'm always amazed how people's attitudes change when they see larger cameras. I think that is why we introverted soles have a hard time doing people photography. If we want candids, people pose; if we want a nice group portrait, well then setting up is bound to make at least one person anxious, and by the time its all set up something else gets in the way (like closed eyes, goofy expressions, etc.). I guess if this was not the case professionals would truly be starving artists!
03-01-2013, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

I guess all the "people people" are off talking to people
Or taking shots of people...

03-02-2013, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

We need a "like" button on here.
03-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
This is kind of an esoteric question, but I am wondering what makes photographer's choose their subjects and/or excel at shooting particular subjects and whether this is related to the photographer's own psychology. For example, I am mostly an introvert and a planner. I really dislike interacting with complete strangers. I enjoy (and think I am at least decent at) shooting landscapes, and architecture. I tend to have an idea of what I want to shoot and then find a subject that allows me to execute that idea. I am drawn to clean lines/curves and different geometric patterns in nature and building.

Conversely I just suck at taking photos of people....I mean I really suck at it. I have read a number of works about portrait composition, but I am more interested in candid city-urban shots. I want to develop my skills in this area, but feel like I am just not attuned to how to capture that "moment" or unique expression on people's faces. Maybe its because I don't like getting "up close and personal" with people. But I also seem to lack any ability to properly compose an interesting candid shot. By the time I see something interesting, the moment is gone.

Sorry if this is just rambling....but I am looking for some suggestions on how to improve in this area.
It's a funny thing photography
I think the reason I suck at people photography is that by the time I have "processed" the composition of the image in my obviously slow brain the moment has passed. I may also be that I don't get the context. I consider myself an extrovert at heart who would rather be in the moment than an outside observer. I like to be with people but can't seem to capture their essence in a shot.
On the other hand I like landscape and architectural/industrial photography where there is contrast, juxtaposition, repetition, texture etc and the time to find that perspective to view the subject from different viewpoints, lighting conditions and with different lenses. My minds eye works better in those conditions
03-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A less "clinical" thought on the subject...maybe preference is just preference...an individual priority or something less psychologically directed?

I am an extreme extrovert yet dislike taking "people pics." Just my personal bent...My best work is intimate landscapes, typically with no sky or horizon visible--is this due to my myopic vision? I've always lived in or near the mountains and barely notice mountainscapes. I've been confronted with this several times when picking up flatlanders at airports in various western U.S. locations. They always comment on the mountains in the distance...I've never noticed the mountains in those areas before.

Each of us has preferences, but like flavors of fruit preserves, perhaps there isn't much logic to the preferences we each have? Must taste (either artistic or flavor) be tied to psychological attributes?

Last edited by Ron Boggs; 03-06-2013 at 09:46 PM.
03-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think it's all about introvert/extrovert either. My wife is a psychiatrist, describes herself as an introvert. We can both meet someone for the first time and she sees more about that person in the first ten seconds than I would in a lifetime.

Introverts are going to have trouble practicing people shots, especially if they start out thinking they aren't good at it. "Hi, I would like to take a bad photo of you. Actually, I don't want to even talk to you like this, but I'm really terrible at people shots and I noticed you are a person..."
03-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #27
Veteran Member

This is in the internet, so i expect there will be disproportionally many introverts. Really interesting posts here, though. I picked up photography to sort of work on myself, to get me out of the house more often, to do more traveling. And taking people photos is part of it, though I do it very rarely. I mean, for portraits you need to have a business for people to come to you. I would feel weird trying to get people to pose for me. I mean, unless its people I know or public persons. I know some people who I would consider extroverted, and they mostly take photos of events or people they know - they just know a lot more people than I do.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Actually, I don't want to even talk to you like this, but I'm really terrible at people shots and I noticed you are a person..."
lol, spot on

Last edited by Na Horuk; 03-06-2013 at 01:02 PM.
03-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In a similar vein, I found that hiding behind a camera was a way to go places and see things that I was interested in, and people would leave me alone.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
"Hi, I would like to take a bad photo of you. Actually, I don't want to even talk to you like this, but I'm really terrible at people shots and I noticed you are a person..."
So, you've overheard me in public? Actually, it's more awkward than that.
03-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
A less "clinical" thought on the subject...maybe preference is just preference...an individual priority or something less psychologically directed?

I am an extreme extrovert yet dislike taking "people pics." Just my personal bent...My best work is intimate landscapes, typically with no sky or horizon visible--is this due to my myopic vision? I've always lived in or near the mountains and barely notice mountainscapes. I've been confronted with this several times when picking flatlanders up at airports in various western locations. They always comment on the mountains in the distance...I've never noticed the mountains in those areas before.

Each of us has preferences, but like flavors of fruit preserves, perhaps there isn't much logic to the preferences we each have? Must taste (either artistic or flavor) be tied to psychological attributes?
A bit of the same here (ambivert), I work with strangers on a daily basis (service engineer) in a world of steel, oil and noise.
My main focus is nature, wildlife and macro, simply because heavy industrial enviroments a daily routine and being outdoors give me the chance to clear my head and enjoy fresh air. But then again, eversince I was a kid I enjoyed being outside in the wild so my preference could also be shaped then. Who knows?

Last edited by TenZ.NL; 03-06-2013 at 01:20 PM.
03-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I guess is normal ... everyone tends to focus more on what they like and what makes them happier - especially when you start with something new ...

Personally I think I suck at everything I do. Never been happy with myself or my work ... but still, I try.
You have to make the effort and at least try and practice in order to get better in a specific area - if you want of course, no one should be forced.

The only thing is if you choose to try, just don't give up and don't expect stellar results from the beginning . First, have fun and once you are more comfortable with a subject, start being more serious about it.
I like experimenting with everything but I find myself more attracted to nature and still life.