Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Subject choice/photographer personality connection?

This is kind of an esoteric question, but I am wondering what makes photographer's choose their subjects and/or excel at shooting particular subjects and whether this is related to the photographer's own psychology. For example, I am mostly an introvert and a planner. I really dislike interacting with complete strangers. I enjoy (and think I am at least decent at) shooting landscapes, and architecture. I tend to have an idea of what I want to shoot and then find a subject that allows me to execute that idea. I am drawn to clean lines/curves and different geometric patterns in nature and building.

Conversely I just suck at taking photos of people....I mean I really suck at it. I have read a number of works about portrait composition, but I am more interested in candid city-urban shots. I want to develop my skills in this area, but feel like I am just not attuned to how to capture that "moment" or unique expression on people's faces. Maybe its because I don't like getting "up close and personal" with people. But I also seem to lack any ability to properly compose an interesting candid shot. By the time I see something interesting, the moment is gone.

Sorry if this is just rambling....but I am looking for some suggestions on how to improve in this area.

02-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I can appreciate your thoughts and will wait to see others' input. At least you recognize that your portraiture is sub-par ... I also, in my own opinion, suck at portraiture. If I really, really work at it, I can get acceptable shots. They are a bit better than the average snapshots of birthday parties and the like, but still seem a bit mechanical to me.
02-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another introvert who sucks at people photography. Places, things, critters - that's about it.
02-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This does seem to be a great divide within photography -- so many photographers seem to be exclusively people photographers or the opposite. Certainly there are plenty of (self-proclaimed) introverts who specialize in people photography but I expect that to a large extent this is personality driven.

02-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I too am most comfortable shooting landscapes and architecture. I'm pushing myself to learn portraiture with simple flash, but it is slow going. I think real "street" shooters have to be good with people and be able to walk up and ask for permission. I plan to keep pushing into areas that are uncomfortable for me as I think this will help me grow as a photographer.
Dave
02-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We like to photograph subjects we have some sort of affinity to, whether that be another hobby or something we consider to be beautiful (exotic flowers and women), but also unusual or thought/emotion-provoking (happiness, laughter, grief, misery, poverty, wealth). Most people relate to these. Then there's the creative side of photography, depicting curves, patterns, colours and textures in unique ways, both natural and man-made, and a whole realm of PP that knows no bounds in creating art out of a RAW image. To me, what I like to photograph reflects what moves and inspires me. Magnificent landscape scenes, brilliant star trails from a bright night sky, people acting naturally, family. All are interesting to me. Perhaps not so much to others, but good art appeals to a broad audience.
02-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter

This really is thought-provoking.I guess I'm one of those introverts at heart, but I do enjoy stimulating conversation as well. Looking at it rationally, however, I sense that most of those conversations are with my wife who understands me better than anyone either of us knows.

That said, I'm trying to get a handle on how this all influences my photographic tendencies. I've always felt more comfortable shooting almost anything other than people. My dad had a portrait photography studio for many years. While he taught me a good deal of the traditional techniques I never was as good as he so didn't pursue it further. Not having a studio was of course a handicap; not being comfortable in groups or having an imposing persona was more likely the trump card in all this.

So naturally I gravitate towards nature, wildlife, pets, architecture, landscapes, etc. It also helps that I've never run across any complaints from any of these subjects as to my technique!

Last edited by jamarley; 02-22-2013 at 07:54 AM.
02-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm introverted, but I love shooting portraits... of people I know. I wish I had a better eye for landscapes and abstracts, as I really enjoy looking at that sort of photography, and I do keep trying, but I seem to do better with people. Again, people I know. I would never have a studio, it would be too exhausting to interact with strangers all the time.
02-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've always enjoyed the outdoors and the natural world - mostly birds - and my interest in photographing them increased as it became easier to bring home decent telephoto shots with lighter and more portable equipment (I just use the 55-300 mm DA lens - nothing bigger) - the crop factor and image stabilization are especially useful to me. Now my interest is widening further with the acquisition of a macro lens - insects, flowers, lichens....
I like landscapes and take pictures but don't consider myself to be a landscape photographer.

I take shots of family and friends but not really portraiture. Don't know whether I'm introverted or not but I tried taking shots for a small competition themed "street photography". I just felt self-conscious photographing strangers and couldn't produce anything decent. I didn't even submit an entry.

So yes, my photo subjects definitely reflect my broader interests.
02-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm a highly analytical introvert. I like to pick things apart, and figure out how they work. I love macro photography, since it reveals things which are hard or impossible to see with the naked eye. It also helps when taking things apart, so that you know how to put them back together. I always hate it when I have pieces left over.

I don't do many portraits at all, unless you consider pictures of dogs "portraits." I think they are. Of course, I love dogs. Landscapes and architechture are fun, too.

This touches on something I've wondered for a while: are introverts more inclined to be photographers? I'm very introverted, and I love photography, but that was about the only proof I had that introversion and photography tend to go hand-in-hand. Pretty flimsy. I haven't met enough photographers in real life to confirm or disprove my theory.

Now, I see this thread, and just about everyone here claims to be an introvert. Am I on to something here? Of course, my hypothesis has a somewhat narrow definition of "photographer." People who snap pictures of themselves and friends with their iPhones to share them on Facebook don't fit the bill. A "photographer" spends a considerable amount of their free time (and probably money) taking, tweaking, and reviewing pictures. I have no doubt that there are social photographers, but I have a feeling that the majority are more introverted. What do you guys think?
02-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When asked about why I don't shoot weddings, since so many aspiring photographers do (to pay for gear, if nothing else), my answer has been that to be a good wedding photographer, you need to be a competent photographer, but have to be good with people. I think I'm a competent photographer, but I'm a computer geek by trade, training, and nature.

I did see a husband-and-wife team once doing a bridal shoot. I think he was the primary shooter, but I didn't hear him say anything. She shot over his shoulder and kept up a constant banter with the couple. She would have driven me crazy...
02-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
. I have no doubt that there are social photographers, but I have a feeling that the majority are more introverted. What do you guys think?
I am just a hobbyist, so my opinion is probably of little value, but I go out shooting for the same reason I go out mountain biking.....everything else fades away and I concentrate on a particular task and zone-out. When doing urban shots, i pretend as if nobody is around me....I see myself as an observer of society, not a participant in the scene I am trying to capture. I am the crazy guy you will see on all fours with his head tucked up his arse, trying to shoot the underside of a garbage can in a park.

I guess that is one reason I do not like doing portraits is because I don't like "staging" things; I like walking about, seeing things from a new perspective, and capturing them "as is" but not "as seen" by most people.

While I sometimes go on shoots with groups, I like shooting alone because its just me, my camera, and the world.

QuoteQuote:
When asked about why I don't shoot weddings, since so many aspiring photographers do (to pay for gear, if nothing else), my answer has been that to be a good wedding photographer, you need to be a competent photographer, but have to be good with people.
I shot a friend's wedding once, and had mixed results from the couple...they liked all the photos I took, but I didn't get in anyone's ways or try and "direct" the wedding....I just kind of hung out in the background and captured what went on....Thats not to say I did not get up close and personal or do the standard alter shots afterwards; but I didn't go from table to table at the reception asking people to move their chairs and say cheeze..... I tried to capture the truly spontaneous emotions...the kind that cannot be duplicated with staged shots; the "here now" ..."what actually happened" not "how I want to remember it." I got some truly great candid shots. I also did a bunch of "artsy" macro stuff of flowers, candles, etc.

The husband loved the album I did; the wife didn't because I did not have enough "group shots" of the reception and I didn't tell her to adjust her dress and hair. I do not think I will be doing another wedding.
02-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
If it's how you make your living, it's amazing how adept you become at the stuff you hate.

Well if you want to eat that is.
02-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
I guess that is one reason I do not like doing portraits is because I don't like "staging" things; I like walking about, seeing things from a new perspective, and capturing them "as is" but not "as seen" by most people.
This totally. It's a lot of why I don't do portraits among other things.

I am still working on the quick draw and sniping skills to get good candid people photo's especially on the street.
That is one area I tend to not do much in because I hate the modern AF and full auto stuff that makes them so easy.

Weddings are no good because you have to be a master of combining natural and artificial light, and you only get one run on a critically important event. I'd rather shovel coal for a living and take photos after work and on days off thank you very much.

BTW a huge thing when doing candid street photos if you are a guy (women are somehow exempt from this, especially when children are involved) if you have even one other person with a camera with you then you magically go from creeper to photo club member. Try it and see the difference in people.
02-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the luxury of leaving my photography as an avocation rather than a vocation. That way I can do what I want. I would hate to be a pro and have to suffer through shoots that I detested.