Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What type of media have you used recently?
Digital only 6840.24%
Color film only 10.59%
Black & white film only 10.59%
Color film and black & white film 74.14%
Color film and digital 2514.79%
Black & white film and digital 2213.02%
Color film, black & white film and digital 4526.63%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
We're not only talking about medium format. the average digital user and average film user aren't shooting medium format.
again, special case comparison is not a true comparison of the cost of digital
The reason the average digital user is not shooting medium format is because it’s way too expensive, not because they don’t want to. A good majority of today’s film shooters, including PF members, do shoot MF or LF film. Why because it’s inexpensive compared to digital MF and with film you get a way better bang for your buck. If you want a cheap way to get high resolution photos film is still they way to go and not digital. Digital is only cheaper when you shoot in a cropped small format, with lower resolution.

QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
Yes, medium format cameras are expensive, but again, another level of enthusiast. Also, according to B&H, despite claims made above, there are only a couple of cameras in the lower end range, the vast majority of medium format film cameras listed on their site fall into the $5500-$9000 range. Yes the digital cameras are in general much more, but I did see a couple in that price range (though of course there were some in the $30000 range as well)
If you want to check MF film body prices go to KEH and not B&H. Check out the Pentax 645 or 6x7 camera bodies. We mostly buy used, as they will last for decades and are not obsolete in a couple years like digital cameras.

Medium Format Cameras, Lenses & Accessories - Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras - KEH.com

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 03-13-2013 at 10:07 PM.
03-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
A good majority of today’s film shooters, including PF members, do shoot MF or LF film.
You're basing that on what? Anecdotal evidence?

QuoteQuote:
We mostly buy used, as they will last for decades and are not obsolete in a couple years like digital cameras.
Define "obsolete"? Do they blow up after 2 years?
Do they take pictures 2 years later that are somehow different from the pictures they took when first bought?
Or is it simply that newer models have features and things that you want?
That is not a product becoming obsolete.

Buying used film vs new digital is hardly a fair comparison of price.
03-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Against my better judgement...

What is the point of this debate? We all have our reasons for using the medium we use. I'm one of the outlyers in this poll. I only use color film. And I prefer K-series bodies and manual focus lenses. I can afford them and I enjoy using them. About 15 years ago I bought a digital point and shoot. It was convenient, but I didn't enjoy it. The prices of DSLRs back then were way more than I wanted to spend or could afford, even if I wanted one.

Compare Digital SLR Camera Prices -
QuoteQuote:
In 2002, you couldn't find a digital SLR for anything less than $2,000 USD.
So I never bought one, and I've never looked back. Maybe someday I'll own the latest K-5 equivalent, but I doubt it.

Today, I suppose I'm a collector and enthusiast. I own seven film bodies and sixteen lens with a total investment that is less that the 2002 digital SLR referenced above.

Others will have there own reasons for film or digital, be it cost, perceived value, image quality, or having the latest technology, whatever. It doesn't matter, I don't care. And reading this debate is boring. Sorry.
03-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #109

Photos: Albums
Digital only ... because it is more practical for my shooting situations but if the circumstances were differents I would rather like use a film camera ...

03-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #110
Pentaxian

I selected all three as assumed recently meant this past weekend But in the near future I expect to also be adding regular and direct positive paper shot in camera as well.

For me it is some times cheaper to shoot and print film however the reasons I still shoot film are it allows things that I cannot do with a digital camera, at least not easily nor affordable and I especially enjoy using the MF and Lf cameras. I enjoy digital and it is some times much cheap to shoot than film and I can do things with it I cannot easily do with film.
03-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #111

I have mainly used film, unless I'm at a friends birthdayparty photographing just to remember the moment or something. I started with black and white first, at 15, and then after about 5 years I took the next step going for color for the first time with a more proffessional camera, and now I havent done b&w in quite while. I dont have access to a good lab anymore, only a bad one so its not that fun if you cant do all you want to do.

I'm using digital more and more actually, mostly because of laziness I think, but I like both film and digital in different ways I guess. Also because I dont have access to a good negative scanner anymore so the quality of my film-photos are going down... while digital only goes up.
04-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #112

When I enter the photography school I learning lots of develop Film B+W. ever before Film camera to Digital camera. but I understand that develop the film are lots of work however, in my view Film is Art than Digital.
I like both Film and Digital because it has balance Pro and Con.
anyways, for Film I been develop myself for B+W only. if Color film I sent to store or mail(it's many easy way)
Add, I use 35mm and 120 lots. rare to use 4x5in film to borrow by school for 4x5 camera.
of course, I own Pentax ME, Asahi Spotmatic, Super Program
last, Two gallery open by some school but because of I develop film the best photos ever I have!