Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What type of media have you used recently?
Digital only 6840.24%
Color film only 10.59%
Black & white film only 10.59%
Color film and black & white film 74.14%
Color film and digital 2514.79%
Black & white film and digital 2213.02%
Color film, black & white film and digital 4526.63%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2013, 04:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

After 10+ year hiatus from film, I've bought my first Pentax Film camera, ME Super. I also have MX and LX on the way. I used to shoot Nikon F100/F3HP back in the day and I used to shoot Fuji NPH 400 and Velvia.
Also yesterday I've dropped off my first roll of film at a pro lab in over a decade. I will find out what the results are like tomorrow.

2 weeks ago when flicking through my old album I've realised that my old photos from back then were better than my current ones. Better colours, better framing better everything. I think I've paid more attention back then and I didn't spray and shoot like I do this days. After checking out some photos taken on film on the internet, it seemed I wasn't the only one who thought that. So I want full hog ordering film cameras, since I will not be able to afford Pentax FF.

Already ordered lots of Ektar, portra 160 and 400 not to mention my old favourite Fuji Pro 400H (replacement for NPH). Also threw in few rolls of black and white film.

All I can say I can't wait to see the results from my limited lenses in 2 months on my trip to Nepal and Thailand.

02-24-2013, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just one??

So, I'm the one guy shooting color film only. My age? Not quite 60.

I've enjoyed film off and on since the late 70's, but much, much more in the last two years. And although I have owned a few digital point and shoot cameras, I never really enjoyed using them, and I'm too cheap to spend the initial outlay required to go DSLR. But to each his (her) own.

Today I own seven film bodies and an assortment of manual focus lenses - I'll likely keep using film until the last lab shuts down.

cheers,
Fred
02-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
I've realised that my old photos from back then were better than my current ones. Better colours, better framing better everything. I think I've paid more attention back then and I didn't spray and shoot like I do this days.
I think the difference is one of method, not media. Those of us who have shot film (and can still remember it) understand that the process was more deliberate, more considered. At least it was for me. You have only 24 (36) exposures, so when approaching a scene time was spent picking the angles and subjects worth taking an exposure of. With digital the tendency is to just shoot 'everything' and sort it out on the computer.

I wonder what would happen if you gave a digital shooter a memory card that only holds 36 shots and sent them out for the day? Would it change how they worked a shoot? Would it improve their composition? Maybe I need to try that, I agree some of my film images seem better done than a lot of what I shoot today. Maybe that is because with digital we take far more shots hoping for a good one rather than just taking the time to get the good one.
02-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think the difference is one of method, not media. Those of us who have shot film (and can still remember it) understand that the process was more deliberate, more considered. At least it was for me. You have only 24 (36) exposures, so when approaching a scene time was spent picking the angles and subjects worth taking an exposure of. With digital the tendency is to just shoot 'everything' and sort it out on the computer.
...And when I bulk loaded my canisters I could squeeze in 40 exposures!

I wonder what would happen if you gave a digital shooter a memory card that only holds 36 shots and sent them out for the day? Would it change how they worked a shoot? Would it improve their composition? Maybe I need to try that, I agree some of my film images seem better done than a lot of what I shoot today. Maybe that is because with digital we take far more shots hoping for a good one rather than just taking the time to get the good one.
Totally agree w/you on that one...

02-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Film and digital do not provide the same sort of photos, so each has it's uses, it's pluses and minuses.

It's nice to see a large proportion of people using a balanced mix of digital and film. I can' help but feel that these results would be interesting to see broken down by age.
28. Perfect age range because I lived from the analog era to digital transition for many industries not just photography
02-26-2013, 03:58 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
28. Perfect age range because I lived from the analog era to digital transition for many industries not just photography
Great comment! This resonates with me also (age 31) and I think that a lot of people in our general age range have a certain interest and respect for past technology that may deserve interest but also look forward to new technology that will create new changes in our world. I shoot b&w and digital.
02-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

To those of you who say film is going away: Not for hobbyists or enthusiasts. Those of us into Large Format cameras and rangefinder cameras still love the stuff.

For the photography world, it's going from the way you take pictures at all to the purview of the artist. Film is going to become more of an art supply, and they still make paints and canvas, don't they?

I shoot lots of black and white and develop at home because it's cheap. I send color film to labs. C41 120 goes to Walmart's kiosk which gets developed by Fuji. I hate Wal-Mart with a passion, but at $1.59 a roll with prints I know they aren't making money, and having walmart not make money is a good thing

C-41 35mm goes to either District Photo/Clark Color Labs in Laurel or goes to my local CVS/Pharmacy in Laplata to be developed, cut and sleeved.

35mm, C-41 large format and all my E-6 goes to Dodge-Chrome in Silver Spring.

"Film vs Digital" is kind of like "Strings vs Woodwinds", you need both to make a symphony. It's like "Wrench vs. Hammer", there is a time when either is the right tool.

02-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #23
Pentaxian

You have only 24 (36) exposures, so when approaching a scene time was spent picking the angles and subjects worth taking an exposure of.
Small format centric view of the film world, eh. Try that with 10 or 12 frames per roll or a total of only 8 or 10 sheets you have on hand for the day. It fine tunes your shooting even more.
02-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
Veteran Member

film only for now Kodak gold 100 (but i use it like a iso 64 film), and kodak Tmax or Ilford delta 400 depending on the needs.

the more i shoot film, the more i like it.

Soon, i'll be back to digital
02-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Small format centric view of the film world, eh. Try that with 10 or 12 frames per roll or a total of only 8 or 10 sheets you have on hand for the day. It fine tunes your shooting even more.
i tried shooting MF (and still not have process it ! ) and yes 12 frames is really a very small number
02-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I'm 32 and, apart from snapshots in my youth, have gone from digital to film. Initially because film cameras are beautiful machines, exquisitely made and a joy to use, far more so than digital ones. Later, I began to appreciate the shots that I could get with film but not with digital, and not because I don't have a full frame digital, because film produces dynamic range, colours, tones and character that digital can't.

I believe that many older folks who dumped film completely are also coming back to it, and the film manufacturing industry will eventually stabilise. Unixrevolution's statement about it becoming an art supply is very likely correct, though that doesn't bode well for prices.
02-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Thanks to my Grafmatic and the size of my Super Graphic and my camera bag, I have between 12 and 18 shots of 4x5 on me when I go shooting my Graphic or my Toyo. Once I get the 8x10 rolling, I've only got film holders for 8 shots total!
02-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
i tried shooting MF (and still not have process it ! ) and yes 12 frames is really a very small number
It can be especially for people pictures. But for other things, I have a hard time shooting up a single roll of 10 frames in a day sometimes. Maybe I'm too selective.
02-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Thanks to my Grafmatic and the size of my Super Graphic and my camera bag, I have between 12 and 18 shots of 4x5 on me when I go shooting my Graphic or my Toyo. Once I get the 8x10 rolling, I've only got film holders for 8 shots total!
Yes, I know that feeling. After getting a 4x5 and using it for a while, it really trained me to be more selective with my roll film. And on more than one occasion I'd shoot up all my sheet film for the day and headed home only to see a good scene on the way back with no film. So I started leaving at least two sheets for the trip back just in case.
02-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #30
Veteran Member

It can be especially for people pictures. But for other things, I have a hard time shooting up a single roll of 10 frames in a day sometimes. Maybe I'm too selective.
i don't think so. it's not being too selective, but just selective. it's more about knowing what you will like, and knowing what pictures will just waste a frame.

I know what i will like, and the more it goes, the less i waste picture. On 72 frames done during 2 days in the woods, only 5 frames are wasted. the 67 other are not absolutely beautiful and all won't be printed or framed, but i really like those 67 frames.

I think it depend on people, style, taste, and history. maybe in 2-3 year i will only bring a 645 and a 120mm for all my 12 frames to spend in those woods