Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photography with glasses

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I recently got a pair of distance glasses for the first time, and I am rapidly discovering that they make photography difficult. If you wear glasses, how do you work with the camera - especially taking photos outdoors, where you need distance glasses that don't work well with the viewfinder, and not at all with the LCD?

03-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I recently got a pair of distance glasses for the first time, and I am rapidly discovering that they make photography difficult. If you wear glasses, how do you work with the camera - especially taking photos outdoors, where you need distance glasses that don't work well with the viewfinder, and not at all with the LCD?
With my K10 I adjust the diopter setting for the rear optical viewfinder window until it's in focus with my glasses on. And then hope I don't change it when I put the camera back in my travel bag.
03-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wear my contact lenses

I cannot stand to wear my glasses/sunglasses while shooting. I have to take them off. I have been told that better viewfinder caps work good. I used to sell binoculars and such and would always recommend extended/collapsible eye cups to those who wore glasses.
03-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Bifocals are even worse, but I can't see without them. I have the OM-53 viewfinder and it works pretty well with my glasses. You do get used to them. If your vision isn't too bad you can set the diopter to correct to your vision.

03-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I go into Av mode and hope to god it works. Usually I chimp a lot in bright sunlight, as I can't see jack in the viewfinder.
03-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Bifocals are even worse, but I can't see without them. I have the OM-53 viewfinder and it works pretty well with my glasses. You do get used to them. If your vision isn't too bad you can set the diopter to correct to your vision.
Oh dang... My vision is out of the diopter correction limit, therefore i'd purchased the pentax -3 diopter to add on to the total of: -4. Sad thing? Astigmatism.... :'(

Caused me to have slight double vision although i can see that "they're" sharp..

So i've been stuck with using my glasses on with the OME magnifier...
03-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm very nearsighted and have worn glasses since the 4th grade. For me, photography with glasses has just always been the way it is done...

03-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used to take my glasses of. On a dSLR I used an SMC Correction Lens Adapter M and the diopter adjustment. On an SLR I used a different adapter (except the LX) since there isn't diopter adjustment. Since I wear lined tri-focals I've figured out the LCD - in your case you might need to remove and replace your glasses often.

I had everything all figured out, then I had cataract surgery. AFTER the fact my opthalmalogist informed me she had changed my vision to more neutral with a new corrected and tinted lens - she obsoleted all my adapters, fixed a yellow tinge (I guess she cured my Takumar Thorium tint) and it has never been the same. Thankfully the K-01 and Q are better after the surgery than a viewfinder was before but I'm trying to shoot SLR's with glasses on. It doesn't work very well.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-11-2013 at 08:54 PM.
03-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm shortsighted. I wear my glasses when out shooting to be able to clearly see what is happening in the distance when not looking through the viewfinder.

However, I have my viewfinder adjusted to my prescription and usually look over the top of my glasses while looking through the viewfinder. Sometimes I take them off.

Trying to look through the viewfinder through my glasses just doesn't work for me.

I never shoot using live view but if I was going to, it would be glasses off.
03-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Maybe the issue is the distance of the eye from the eye piece when wearing glasses.

Binoculars can have retractable eye cups that make all the difference. If it is a big enough issue for you focusing then maybe a rightangle finder over the eye piece. You would look for a right angle finder with a deep rubber eye cup that can be folded over. (my really old pentax right angle finder has a solid eye cup)

Most people play with the diopter when not using glasses, but that will only help some eyes. In theory wearing glasses the diopter should be at zero unless the diopter can compensate for your eye being further away.

I figure that's why I always use auto focus.

Last edited by Bob from Aus; 03-11-2013 at 09:41 PM.
03-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #11

This is an interesting topic. I can't wear contacts anymore. Well, that's not true, I just can't afford the ones that work for me. I only get 20/40 out of my good eye with glasses, so focusing has been a real PITA for the last year. Nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other isn't helping either. I've been wondering if an adapter for my MX and MESuper would at least help with the split ring focusing?
03-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I take my glasses off and stick 'em in a pocket or on my collar, or hold them by one of their arms. Whatever works. Waiting for the day when I drop them over the edge of a lookout. With glasses on, viewfinder image is just too far away. Also sans glasses when using Liveview or Playback in any critical way. I use multifocals but find I much prefer the naked eye at close range. If outside in sunny weather, then I am using prescription Polaroid sunglasses. No choice but to not use them in conjunction with the camera. A mild PITA overall.

I am at the limit of the -2.5 diopter adjustment on my K-x using my eyes only, so it's sort of ok but not perfect (my perscription is -2.75). WIll be trying to find a -3 eyepiece adjustment lens which I can use on a ME film camera with no diopter adjustment, and then will also use on the K-x so the k-x's own adjustment will again be near 0 so I have lots of flex to get overall adjustment just right. Been sitting on the to-do list for a while.
03-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
I take my glasses off and stick 'em in a pocket or on my collar, or hold them by one of their arms. Whatever works. Waiting for the day when I drop them over the edge of a lookout. With glasses on, viewfinder image is just too far away. Also sans glasses when using Liveview or Playback in any critical way. I use multifocals but find I much prefer the naked eye at close range. If outside in sunny weather, then I am using prescription Polaroid sunglasses. No choice but to not use them in conjunction with the camera. A mild PITA overall.

I am at the limit of the -2.5 diopter adjustment on my K-x using my eyes only, so it's sort of ok but not perfect (my perscription is -2.75). WIll be trying to find a -3 eyepiece adjustment lens which I can use on a ME film camera with no diopter adjustment, and then will also use on the K-x so the k-x's own adjustment will again be near 0 so I have lots of flex to get overall adjustment just right. Been sitting on the to-do list for a while.
I took the liberty just to help you on this. Check this out.. It's what you want/need:

GENUINE Pentax SMC Correction Lens Adapter M -3 30733 | eBay

Only 3 available.. Might as well grab 2..
03-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 for I take my glasses off and have diopter set for no glasses. I also don't like shooting with glasses - problems with reflections, field of view etc.

I'm lucky though, I am somewhat long sighted (but not too bad) and get away without glasses outdoors. Someday I might have to try some of solution suggested here!
03-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm fortunate enough that the diopter on my K-X works for me. I've also worn glasses forever, so they don't bother me when I'm shooting.