Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2013, 02:42 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Other word for perspective is point of view, that word is often better to understand.

03-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I really wanted to know.. If I want this picture, this result...how would I do it.
I still don't really get perspective - any useful links to compare FL and perspectives and resulting photos?
Thanks everyone for the links, and info. I've been following this just not posting.

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Sorry, i'm a noob here too, everywhere actually, but i think i wanna give it a shot. ;P

**1- what would be used for the focus point- the middle the the group of bikes? Or the hyperfocal point?

Me: This is REALLY tough to answer as it all boils down to what the photographer sees and decides how the image will turn out to be.

**2- where would you stand? I did an online dof calculator, and at 20 feet you get about 3 ft Dof, and 40 feet away you get 10 feet DOF. So about 40' away?

Me: Also, it depends on what are the image that you are wanting it to turn out to be.

**3- any tips to keep in mind if I come across a situation like this?

Me: It's just like any other photo opportunities that present to you. You'll have to decide how the image will turn out to be. This picture of Adam's is pretty much his "view", yours might differ. But nevertheless, if you see such opportunity some day, just imitate this picture. Imitation to learn, and innovate to progress. Gotta try it, to learn it.

**Edit 4-- wouLd you use a tripod

Me: I'd use a tripod for any shots if possible. But of course, it all boils down to the factors that are in my favor, accordingly to my decision on how the image will turn out. In this case, why not? Provided i have it then. If not, i'd just decide on a hand-holdable shutter speed "required".

All in all, it boils down to how you'd like the image to turn out. Otherwise, i believe that you, as am i, are kind of captivated by this exquisite image and has set your mind thinking on how to produce it.
What you'd be interested to know is actually on why he used the FL of 200m. As what russell and ANVH states, it has got to do with perspective effect.

Usage of a long FL usually seems to be used mainly for "zooming in" to an intended subject, but it actually affects the background size, therefore perspective.
That's why there are certain people who uses a long FL to shoot landscape and stitch, contrary to the normal concept of wide-angle lenses, to get everything in.
03-22-2013, 03:44 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
I really wanted to know.. If I want this picture, this result...how would I do it.
I still don't really get perspective - any useful links to compare FL and perspectives and resulting photos?
Thanks everyone for the links, and info. I've been following this just not posting.
If you want this result - find a similar scene, go and look through the viewfinder, move around, zoom your zoom or change lenses until you see a similar scene. Then use your DOF preview control and change aperture to get a similar DOF. Then shoot. Or, get those things roughly right, take a whole bunch of trial shots, pick the one that pleases/matches (and file away the lessons for future use)

If you want to learn how to manipulate perspective and DOF try varying one thing at a time and looking at the results, e.g. 1) pick a scene like this and approach with a zoom lens zoomed right in. Walk until the nearer objects have the size you want in the frame. Shoot, then walk forwards, and zoom out to make that object the same size in the frame. Shoot, repeat, until you run out of outward zoom. Then look at the results. (Of course you can do this with a series of primes also..) This IMO is a lot more instructive than a related but still worthwhile experiment, stay in the same spot and zoom in and notice how things get bigger but relative sizes and alignments stay the same. 2) for DOF, in Av or P mode simply take a range of shots with different aperture and view the results. 3) try a sequence of shots taken from ground level up to the highest point of view you can practically manage and see what effect it has.
03-22-2013, 04:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

This a good start.
Understanding Camera Lenses

03-22-2013, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

The part about zoom and prime lenses, you can see the difference in "focal length" and changing perspective (point of view).
03-22-2013, 04:30 AM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Maybe he'll come post in this thread
Appreciate that he's a busy fella, but have you PM'd him and asked the question.
03-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by russell2pi Quote
If you want this result - find a similar scene, go and look through the viewfinder, move around, zoom your zoom or change lenses until you see a similar scene. Then use your DOF preview control and change aperture to get a similar DOF. Then shoot. Or, get those things roughly right, take a whole bunch of trial shots, pick the one that pleases/matches (and file away the lessons for future use)

If you want to learn how to manipulate perspective and DOF try varying one thing at a time and looking at the results, e.g. 1) pick a scene like this and approach with a zoom lens zoomed right in. Walk until the nearer objects have the size you want in the frame. Shoot, then walk forwards, and zoom out to make that object the same size in the frame. Shoot, repeat, until you run out of outward zoom. Then look at the results. (Of course you can do this with a series of primes also..) This IMO is a lot more instructive than a related but still worthwhile experiment, stay in the same spot and zoom in and notice how things get bigger but relative sizes and alignments stay the same. 2) for DOF, in Av or P mode simply take a range of shots with different aperture and view the results. 3) try a sequence of shots taken from ground level up to the highest point of view you can practically manage and see what effect it has.
Thx. I prob will try that

nah, I didn't bother him. I like getting a lot of opinions.
In this thread, I got answers and ideas for questions I didn't know I had, when I first posted. That's the good thing about a forum rather than a 1-1 discussion.

03-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
The part about zoom and prime lenses, you can see the difference in "focal length" and changing perspective (point of view).
Thanks for the links