Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #1

Bouncing Pop-Up Flash...

This is probably a daft question, but I'm very new to the concept of using anything other than an onboard Point and shoot flash - even a popup flash is exotic to me.

I've read about popup flash diffusers (such as the "puffer"), and like the sound of them. But for the elimination of background shadows on indoor shots, my guess is bouncing is still the answer. But, how to go about bouncing the popup flash? (On a K100D).

What have you to suggest, or am I just dreamin'?

Thanking you,

R.ticle One

03-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #2

Or, if you want to waste some money, get a lightscoop.
03-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thng you need to consider is that with a Guide number of about 15, (meters) a pop up flash might not have enough power to properly bounce.

Note that most kit lenses are F4-f5.6 and at 100 ISo the pop up flash will cover a distance direct line, not bounced of less than 4 meters at F4 and 3 meters at F5.6 (9-12 feet)
03-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #4

I played around and did some test shots with the pop up flash and bounce flash and found that it was really not powerful enough in most circumstances.

Cheers
Keith

03-03-2008, 06:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree with both Lowell and Keith. The on-board flash has a range of about 15 meters when fired directly at a subject using ISO 200. A bounce device would reduce that by at least half, with the distance and surface bounced onto reducing the remaining half by at least half again. So, in the end, one would be real lucky to have a resulting guide number of roughly 3-4 meters (likely even less). A straight-through device, rather than bounce, would obviously be more efficient, perhaps making that approach much more worthwhile.

stewart
03-03-2008, 06:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hey guys,

Thanks! So I suppose that until I have a "real" offboard flash, I'll stick with a diffuser. Appreciate your help!

Best,

R.ticle One