Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

360 Panoramic Virtual Tours

I own a K-5 with a 10-17mm fisheye. I am considering purchasing the Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 Adjustable Tilt Ring Mount Package. I can not seem to find any additional info on this set-up in reference "on how to use". Does anybody out there have used this set-up and any tricks of the trade that you pass along would be greatly appreciated...even if you have another set-up or idea, I would be very interested in hearing about it.

Just don't want to spend $$$ on something and come to find out it doesn't work great or there are other products out there that are better.

Thanks

Frank

03-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Frank,

I use the Nodal Ninja R1 for my pole-panoramas (it's that tiny thing holding my K-5 and 10-17 at the top in the photo below). The R1 is very small and works well with the 10-17mm fisheye, however the lens ring is not something to put on and take off frequently, since it holds the zoom ring very snugly (but not the focus ring of the lens), and is a tickle to get on correctly. In other words, you attach the R1 ring and your lens is "locked" at the focal length you had when you installed it (hopefully 10mm for panos). I leave my ring on my 10-17 for panos, and had a second 10-17 for general (zoomable) use. Sold that second one, and am now thinking of getting a "spare" fisheye zoom again...

The R1 is great for poles, packing light, and for hard-to-reach spots, but it only allows "tilted" downshots (nadir shots where the lens isn't pointing straight down) which isn't the best if the camera is on a surface (say, on a tabletop). However, I also use a NN5, NN4, and NN Ultimate M1 "conventional" panoheads, so I have plenty of choices. The R1 ring stays on the 10-17 and I shoot panos with the other panoheads by mounting the camera to them without problems, BTW.

Here are some other helpful links from this forum about shooting panos with the 10-17:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/217667-...panoramas.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/166450-da-10-1...ml#post1726318

And here is that distant photo of my R1 on the pole rig (if you squint, you can see what I mean by "tilted" down shots!):

Oh yeah, and to answer your question... the R1 is good if you don't need a very detailed shot of whatever is beneath you, and you don't intend to use different lenses (the ring only fits one), and you really want the smallest and lightest package for your panos (they make a mini-rotator for those things as well!). For general-purpose panos, with a 10-17 fisheye and a Pentax DSLR without a grip, I would recommend the Nodal Ninja 4 - it can be pointed pretty much anywhere and is very stable and adjustable for other types of lenses and shooting situations (partial panos, gigapan mosaics, "the brenizer method" for medium-format looks, etc.)

Last edited by panoguy; 03-26-2013 at 06:37 PM.