Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2007, 03:34 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Corrupted jpeg files

Hi everyone, I finally bit the bullet and went digital this year, bought an istDL2 to replace my ageing MZ10, and I have to say that on the whole I am very pleased I did.
I have copied all my photos to my computer but ave not backed them all up (big mistake ), some folders (7) containing approx 60-70 photos have for no apparent reason become corrupted. I cannot open them with any photo viewer, and I have tried plenty - Adobe photoshop, Windows photo viewer, Paint, irfanview - to name a few. I believe the headers have corrupted. I have tried various recovery software programs but with no success.
Does anybody out there have any ideas how I might be able to recover the photos? Pleeaase!

01-09-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfie1965 Quote
Hi everyone, I finally bit the bullet and went digital this year, bought an istDL2 to replace my ageing MZ10, and I have to say that on the whole I am very pleased I did.
I have copied all my photos to my computer but ave not backed them all up (big mistake ), some folders (7) containing approx 60-70 photos have for no apparent reason become corrupted. I cannot open them with any photo viewer, and I have tried plenty - Adobe photoshop, Windows photo viewer, Paint, irfanview - to name a few. I believe the headers have corrupted. I have tried various recovery software programs but with no success.
Does anybody out there have any ideas how I might be able to recover the photos? Pleeaase!
Hi

I am going to assume that it is the jpgs, not the folder that is corrupt?
try this:

right click on the photo file, then rename it to a different extension.
for example, .... take myphoto.jpg and change it to myphoto.tiff you will might get a warning message from windows, if you do just ignore it.
if that doesn't work, then try a couple of more extensions like .psd or .png
if this works for one, then change the extension of all the photos. after this open them up in photoshop and resave as .jpgs

if this doesn't work, let us know

hope this helps

randy
01-09-2007, 07:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Good tip Randy, I haven't had that problem ...yet...but I will definitely file this one for future reference. Thanks.
01-09-2007, 07:52 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
Hi

I am going to assume that it is the jpgs, not the folder that is corrupt?
try this:

right click on the photo file, then rename it to a different extension.
for example, .... take myphoto.jpg and change it to myphoto.tiff you will might get a warning message from windows, if you do just ignore it.
if that doesn't work, then try a couple of more extensions like .psd or .png
if this works for one, then change the extension of all the photos. after this open them up in photoshop and resave as .jpgs

if this doesn't work, let us know

hope this helps

randy
Thanks randy, I have tried with a few and this has not worked it merely changed the name and was still being recognised as a jpeg and not the new extension.
The problem is I can't open it with anything to actually change the extension I can only rename it.

Ian

01-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfie1965 Quote
Thanks randy, I have tried with a few and this has not worked it merely changed the name and was still being recognised as a jpeg and not the new extension.
The problem is I can't open it with anything to actually change the extension I can only rename it.

Ian
can you send me one of the photo files via e-mail?

I will try to play with it..... at least this way if it opens with my computer, it might be something that needs to be changed in your operating system.

slipchuck@gmail.com
01-10-2007, 09:23 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Don't think it's the operating system

I have tried to open the files on several different computers, home pc, work pc and my daughgters notebook, and the same happens on all.

I have sent you a couple of the corrupted files to play with, I hope you have some success,

many thanks, Ian