Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SashasMom Quote
First, sounds like your dog needs some basic training, like sit and stay.
I never have obedience issues with the dog, it's the cats.

04-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Learn to shoot with one hand if you can't find an assistant. Once you're set-up and know the shot you're after the settings shouldn't change much, if at all. You won't be able to react as fast if something unexpected and interesting happens, but having a free hand to dangle a toy works great for controlling cats. Put the dog in another room when you're doing this if it can't control itself with a toy around.

As mentioned already, tuckering the cats out with play is a big help. So is photographing them after they eat. Mine are slower on a full belly at least.
04-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ASheffield Quote
To start, I like to photograph my pets around the house so I can show off my adorable animals to friends. I never have any issues with the camera, it's the pets. If anyone is a pet photographer, I would appreciate the help. I am photographing my cats and dog.

Here are my questions:
How do I keep them still?
How do I get them to look at the camera?
Since I photograph them on my own, I have to be up close to keep them from walking away. How do I keep them from touching the lens with their wet noses?
How do I keep them from turning their heads while I snap the photo?

Additional Details:
I can't use treats, the cats are on a diet and the dog has allergies.
Toys would excite the dog too much
I can't have someone pick them up and hold them for the photo because, well they're cats and the dog is a 70lb. American pit bull terrier.
I need both hands to operate the camera.

Oh sorry, did not mean to say your dog was not trained. Based on your questions sounds like your dog wont stay in a spot for you to get a photograph. You said "Since I photograph them on my own, I have to be up close to keep them from walking away. How do I keep them from touching the lens with their wet noses?" If the dog knows sit and stay should not be too hard to snap some shots.
04-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you were looking for a paid shoot I would recommend getting an assistant, because you can practice everyday with someone else's pets. Since you are photographing your own pets, you should practice with them. My cat is really good at posing, but I let her sniff and explore the camera a lot. Then I just took her picture everyday. Now it is part of a game that we play. She sees the camera and gives me looks and moves after she hears me take a picture.

My dog was harder than my cat. He really doesn't like flash, so if I am using it, I am only taking a few pictures. He needs more praise between pictures than the cat, but the more pictures I take, the better he is. The better you get too. Working with your pets makes you faster.