Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2008, 03:56 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
it's not a volume issue as Europe has higher sales volumes than the US and Pentax users there are still getting shafted too (discounting VAT).
Only High street prices - for example if you go to Jessops you'll get shafted. There are places to go which have legit (not grey market) UK pentax stuff at B and H level prices. So it's not the UK distributors creaming profits, it's the retailers.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
So, Maaaaaattteeee, when you leaving for there next time? Do you ever get charged GST when coming home or do you pretend you've always had the camera?
I'm actually over there at the moment. I generally don't bring stuff over the $700 limit, so don't end up paying GST. The one time I did I ended up having a friendly customs officer letting me go without paying (I declared it).

You can tell the nice Customs Officers any stories you like but if you can't produce the paper work they can apply an arbitrary value for the gear which could be more or less than the purchase value, ouch and let's not even consider the cost of the fine. It's just luck if you elect not to declare new gear (you should of course have declared all the kit that you left the country with ;-)
See, that's the thing. On the one hand they tell you that you should the leaving paperwork to ensure that you aren't charged duty when you return - but if you ask for it, they tell you that you don't need it. I do declare when I'm over the limit - as you said, it's just not worth the chance.

03-07-2008, 04:16 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
See, that's the thing. On the one hand they tell you that you should the leaving paperwork to ensure that you aren't charged duty when you return - but if you ask for it, they tell you that you don't need it. I do declare when I'm over the limit - as you said, it's just not worth the chance.
I fill out a declaration and have it confirmed and stamped by the Aus Customs service at the airport, they've never said it wasn't required and given the value of the gear I travel with I'd hate to be singled out to re-pay GST on re-entry, better safe than sorry.
03-07-2008, 07:08 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I fill out a declaration and have it confirmed and stamped by the Aus Customs service at the airport, they've never said it wasn't required and given the value of the gear I travel with I'd hate to be singled out to re-pay GST on re-entry, better safe than sorry.
I'm sure you're right - it's NZ customs I'm talking about not Australia though. They're the ones who told me not to both with the declaration (when taking my gear out of the country)
I've been operating under the assumption that if the worst case happened I'd be able to use the various papers I have at home to reclaim the repaid GST, but you're right, I think I'll go back to doing the declaration- cheers for the advice mate.
03-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
sorry to hear your aussie horror storryes, but let me help you with a reality check on price: there is no place on the planet where prices compare with US (ecept maybe the far east, korea, japan, and such), it's just the way it is. uk used to be like that also, from what i read here things have changed for the better. here in europe i pay _double_ for any pentax lens i would like to get, anything from kit lens to da*'s, is almost exactly double the bhphoto list price. other places in europe can be better, i hear, but nothing comes close to US prices. i understand the exchange rates went through the roof with the usd being on a bit of a downhill ride now, but keeping the prices put in the local currency under these conditions seems like pure theft to me.

this is one of the reasons i finally got a gx10: i found it at a rdiculous price for this market, still way above the price for the k10d price in US at that time, but about 100euro less than the cheapest k10d here, when the price is so high, 100euro really makes a difference (you can feal the pain decrease with every cent).

so i guess it's just the way it is. as soon as i recover from the k10d (gx10) upgrade, and can put some money together, i will be sure to honour bhphoto (and/or keh) with a multiple order in lenses.

03-07-2008, 02:25 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
I'm sure you're right - it's NZ customs I'm talking about not Australia though. They're the ones who told me not to both with the declaration (when taking my gear out of the country)
I've been operating under the assumption that if the worst case happened I'd be able to use the various papers I have at home to reclaim the repaid GST, but you're right, I think I'll go back to doing the declaration- cheers for the advice mate.
A secondary advantage is that you have a government ratified document indicating what you had in the unfortunate case that anything gets stolen whilst you are away, it could make reporting/claiming on insurance a lot easier/more successful.
03-24-2008, 01:52 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Add me to the list of disgruntled Oz buyers, any item under the $1,000.00 Customs/GST limit I import from the US of A & usually from B&H.

They have a great service & the shipping time to Oz, three to four days at the most, is as quick as getting an item from Sydney to country Victoria.

Until C.R.Kennedy get their act together & realize just how many Oz buyers are getting their equipment from overseas, things here will never change.

Wal'
03-24-2008, 05:46 AM   #37
Veteran Member

My local little camera shop HATES dealing with CR K ... but who else can he deal with ... he has no choice in the matter really.

I really son't know how he survives ... but he does.

I bought my K10D body and lit lens from the store at a decent price for a retailer (was much cheaper than JB Hi-Fi and Harvey's too).

His words to me though ... if you are after decent gear and want it in a timely fashion ... buy it from the US. And this is from the owner of the camera store that has been in his family for about 40-50 years.

I feel bad for him as he now knows I buy from overseas now (I get printing done in his store though).

We do get shafted .... only Digital Camera Warehouse Australia - Discount Digital Cameras shipped Australia Wide - Home seems to have OK-ish prices here ... but it's still nowhere near B&H or Adorama, etc.

04-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #38

Hmmm

Guys!

Ho Hum! another bash thread

This is a thread that is repeated for all brands.

So Harvey Norman dosn't want to deal with the local Wholesaler?
A certain store other "family store" doesn't want to deal with them?

Possible reasons Aussies pay more?
The cost of doing business with some Australian retail chains mentioned here is about 18% before you actually have the local proprieter even put his margin on.
There used to be a web site that documented this, not sure if it still exists.

Pentax in Autralia is strong because of strong local representation and marketing.
I have dealt with Pentax in aus (crk) and I have owned Nikon and Olympus. I now have a K20D with Sigma lenses that are sharper than the lenses I was using on my Nikon and they were Nikon lenses.
This in part is the K10d/20d's more accurate focusing, but I CHOSE the Sigma's as my CHOICE of lens.
Aus dealers can sell Pentax with any lens including Pentax, I was offered both, Maybe u need to change your retailer if u are only offered Sigma on Pentax?

On my research the K20 is possibly the most price competetive with OS priced SLR on the market in Aus.
Look at what a D3 or D300 or any Canon is versus the K20 pricing. Seems to me the Local agents are doing better than some brands handed by the Japaneses companies themselves.

If u want to know why Aus prices are dearer? Open a business here and try to STAY open.
Hitachi pulled out of Aus with Panel TV's because of many of the issues above.
They still make them and sell them OS, So why did they pull out of Australia? Possibly the first of many.

Brackets
05-02-2008, 02:03 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Being the size of the US does offer its advantages

Size mean more cost comparative as a bigger market means better value

cheers
05-02-2008, 02:22 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Sorry to intrude into this thread like this but since the topic is about buying pentax gear in Australia, I would really like to know which shop/company is recommended in Perth. I will move to Perth very soon.

Thanks!
05-02-2008, 03:22 AM   #41

Hey Raider,
I could tell u who not to use. The big camera house on Albany Hwy in Cannington I think it is. Got to be the worst customer service I have had for a long time. Prices dont seem to vary much so try some1 like 'camera electronic' in the city. Neva used them myself but shoul be very proffesional!
05-02-2008, 03:42 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Hi. thanks for your feedback in such a short time.

Would 'Camera Electronics' stock and sell pentax gears?

Any other shops recommended apart from this one?

Thanks again.
05-02-2008, 04:15 AM   #43

E5 E-Commerce Engine

Thats there website. Dont expect bargains though!
05-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link.

You are right. Their prices are expensive.
05-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #45

I've deal with CE before. They are a bunch of nice people, and you can try out all the different lens in the shop before you buy. Their price is not the best, but sometimes they have some good specials.

There is another place that offer good service and competitive price. PRA-Imaging Cameras Perth & Photography Perth, Camera Film & Photographic Equipment Perth - PRA Imaging Western Australia (WA). Nice people, and one of the cheapest place to get gear locally. Don't think they stock a lot of Pentax gear, but I think they can place special order for you.

Mike