Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Migraines From Studio Lighting?

I have been working at a studio since October while I am going to school and then I plan on building my own studio. I don't know if it is the lights but since I have been working there I have been getting these horrible migraines mainly affecting my sight and light sensitve. I plan on going to get my eyes checked I think I may need glasses but if that doesn't work I will going to the doctor. It affects everything! I can't sleep they are very sudden been happening almose everyday even when I don't work. Has anyone else had migraines because of lighting equipment? I have googled it so many times I don't have insurance right now so I guess I was hoping they would go away and that is not happening. I really hope it's not from the lighting that's going to make things hard

03-04-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My experience with migraines is always having to do with frequency. As in Hertz. Refresh rates of monitors and the like. I would be willing to bet the frequency of the lights is the culprit. They could be operating out of sync a bit if the power source is weak. Do you spend equal time in front of a computer? Try changing the refresh rate.
03-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by krystalgem85 Quote
I have been working at a studio since October while I am going to school and then I plan on building my own studio. I don't know if it is the lights but since I have been working there I have been getting these horrible migraines mainly affecting my sight and light sensitve. I plan on going to get my eyes checked I think I may need glasses but if that doesn't work I will going to the doctor. It affects everything! I can't sleep they are very sudden been happening almose everyday even when I don't work. Has anyone else had migraines because of lighting equipment? I have googled it so many times I don't have insurance right now so I guess I was hoping they would go away and that is not happening. I really hope it's not from the lighting that's going to make things hard
For starters, I must say that you might want to start to look for an insurance and then go to the doctor,it is possible that they want to make sure that there is not something else besides the migrains so an MRI is likely and you can expect some other expensive tests. I wouldnt play with these things, I think that it is important to be extremely cautious with health issues. Migraines can be quite light sensitive. In my experience, the symptomatic treatment is more effective when you start it during the aura phase. Aura refers to something that preceeds the pain. In my case it develops as light spots in parts of my vision field 15-20 minutes before the pain starts. As somebody mentioned frequency of refreshing in a screen can be a factor, the use of grids in the lights might be another, high-light intensity is also a likely candidate. Sunglasses may help but will likely interfer with your ability to detect the correct lighting. If I were you, I would find the best way to find myself an insurance and go to the doctor.
03-04-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's interesting that you would start this thread because something similar happened to my wife a couple of weekends ago at a lighting seminar. Our speaker developed a problem with his flash meter and some folks started looking at it to see if they could figure out what was wrong. In the process, they began popping the studio strobes rapidly and for a relatively extended period of time. I didn't think much about it until my wife turned to me and said, "I have to get out of here NOW! Those lights are about to set off a horrible headache for me." She got up and left the room until the speaker went back to his presentation and she ended up being fine. But there was something about the repeated pops of the strobes that caused a reaction in her. I've also heard about migraines being caused by flourescent lighting due to the flicker of the lights. I guess this flicker is inherent in most flourescent lights and it's become more of a problem recently due to people using those small, screw-in flourescent lights in their home to replace traditional light bulbs. If your boss will let you, you might try raising the ambient light in the studio during shoots. Maybe if there's less of a difference between the overall lighting and the pop of the strobes, it will help with your headaches. One last thing....if this does turn out to be related to the use of studio strobes, don't automatically assume that you can't have a studio of your own someday. You could always use a continuous source light, especially given the increasing ability of digital cameras to shoot at higher ISO's. Good luck....

03-04-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have been looking for insurance so that I can get to the doctor. I have never had migraines this bad and it may be the monitors also I have to look at a 46in screen with clients all day. I work at a big chain studio so I do not think I can get him to do anything about lighting. I brought my sunglasses to work when I have down time so altleast then I do have to suffer. I never know when one will come on. The thing that worries me the most is it is not just at work now it is at home I cannot get rid of them. Well thank you for your advice guys and I think that I will be visiting the doctor this week
03-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You're kind of lucky that you know your trigger. I've had chronic migraines the last 4 years or so, and they seem completely random. Some days I wake up with one...other days they come on later...some at night...just out of the blue.

If you do need glasses, and you still get headaches out of the studio, it's possible they messed up your prescription.

Personally, I take Excedrin Migraine or Tylenol Extra Strength depending on time of day and my diet. Like right now...I just finished a cup of coffee, so I won't need the Excedrin since it has caffeine in it. One tablet at first signs, lie down, sleep for 30 minutes if possible...that solves it for me 95% of the time.

Good luck, hopefully it will be something simple and you can continue on and create your own business. You're not alone
03-04-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should know that repetitive flashes can also cause seizures.

There are also some viruses that can leave you somewhat light headed, and you can with strobing of lights feel ill and develop headaches. I had such a virus in 1997 and the flicker of european lighting at 50 Hz was just enough to make you feel really ill. I forget the name of the firus now, but it was a common illness in the UK in th emid 90's (and no it was not mad cow disease)

03-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

In particular, get yourself checked for eye sight, glaucoma and chronic sinusitis.
03-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Something you should not overlook is a change in your diet since working in the studio. If you find that you miss meals or go an extended amount of time without eating, your headaches may be simply be caused by low blood sugar. Also, if you find you are eating foods that impact insulin production (sugar, breads, and even caffeine) you are likely to go low-blood sugar.

When I opened my web-design business I found I was constantly getting headaches and blamed the flourescent lighting / monitor refresh. It ultimately was caused by poor eating habits.

- Andrew
03-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krystalgem85 Quote
Yes, it could. People used to laugh at me at work when I climbed on my desk and turned off those awful 4 tube 4 foot fluorescents and brought in a desk lamp. I would rather be laughed at than have another migraine. Halogen lamps "flicker" at 60 Hz, as do fluorescents. If the studio is using halogen lamps, that could be the source of your problems.
03-11-2008, 07:17 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Worked with an engraver years ago. He said "never do any tedious work by flourescent light". Said it was common knowledge in the engraving world. If you had to work under that lighting use other continous lights to "even" out the pulses.
Some people are also allergic to flourescents! Mom and dad switched to the screw in version to save energy. Dad spent hundreds of dollars at the doctor to figure out why he had a rash that he had never seen before. Doctor couldn't figure it out. Then mom starting getting it. I stumbled on a story about this and noticed both parents sat next to these screw in flourescents. Moms face broke out on the side closest to the bulb. Replaced them with normal bulbs and both parents returned to normal.
Scary that incandescents are outlawed in 2012. Hopefully the LED lights won't have any side affects. May have to buy hundreds of incandescents and put them back.
All video games have warning about flickering light on tv. There is alo a disease that makes people very sensitive (don't remember which). A customer had another person check to see if there was any flickering before entering the store. Said it could send her into convulsions.
Hope you get it sorted out. Not good to be sick all the time.
thanks
barondla