Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2008, 07:25 AM   #1

Full snowstorm nighttime snowboard photography!

Well, i need some tips on shooting in a full snowstorm, the standard cover camera and flash etc is well covered. What i need help with is how/where to place my single 540FGZ flash unit accordingly to the cam. If i have the flash on the camera i end up with images like this;

So i thought maybe if i lowered flash output it would not illuminate the snow that powerful, so i lowered it down to about 1/16 or around that and ended up with something like this;

Possible solution?
Shooting natural lightning is a NO-GO
I have just received a pair of v2- cactus radio triggers, and they seem to be triggering just fine. So I'm wondering whether or not a setup like this would work;

03-05-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the 1st image. Using the remote flash per your diagram should work fine.
03-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've had similar "snow illumination" problems with flash photos during a snowfall when taking pictures at a fire...

Let us know how having the flash far off camera works out, as I think I'll have to get myself a radio remote (or heck even a wired one) for my flash...

For your action shots have you thought of trying a few slower shutter trailing sync flash shots to impart the illusion of movement?

(The funny thing is that the guys at the station LOVE the snow falling effect on the images, but personally I think it looks horrible!)

Pat
03-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think you are experiencing what is a big problem in underwater photography.
Pointing a flash straight at the subject will make all kind of small particles close to you in the water to light up in your photo, much more than your subject.

The remedy we use UW is as follows: take preferably 2 flashes and have them as far away as you can besides you. So they are at the same line as you are, but positioned left and right, depending upon the subject higher or lower than yourself.

In this setup, your lightning is pretty natural and since the camera cannot "see" the nearby particles (in your case snowflakes) to the flashes, you hardly have any problems with them.
This is why you see people take these strange contraptions under water....
I can assure you, it works under water! Should work in snow I guess.

If you have only 1 flash, do the same, choose left of right. Unfortunatly you'll have side shadow then.

Hope this works for you.

- Bert

03-06-2008, 01:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

ok so you have the five40

you can do an optical trigger with that mutha

you should just have someone hold it while they are off the the side of your target shot and trigger it optically. after that, just get creative...