Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does it need to be either/or? GND filters and compositing? (not for typical "HDR")

I know that this is, by definition, about HDR but I'm not talking about the overly stylized images that have become associated with the term. I'm concerned with natural looking images that are, within the context of tradition photography, well exposed. Seems to me that some, not all, of the issues with moving objects in compositing two images to overcome DR issues could be mitigated with judicious use of a GND and compositing combined with some layering in PS. Am I stating the obvious? Common knowledge? Examples?

04-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A perfectly valid point - and a technique I have used myself, however there are a few drawbacks involved - filters increase flare and ghosting effects - so if you have bright highlights anywhere in the scene be prepared to clone ghost images of them out, because flare and ghost lights can mess with the Automated frame registration used with HDR stacking software.
04-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Not to mention that GND filters have a straight line.

If you're taking an image of say, a tree, or mountain, against a bright sky, with a GND filter the top of the tree/mountain will be darkened with the sky.

Where with a HDR image you can simply cut around the edges.

But, in saying that, I would always try and get it right optically before using software. (but, I'm weird. My aim is to do as little PP as possible sicne it pisses me off)
04-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Not to mention that GND filters have a straight line.

If you're taking an image of say, a tree, or mountain, against a bright sky, with a GND filter the top of the tree/mountain will be darkened with the sky.

Where with a HDR image you can simply cut around the edges.

But, in saying that, I would always try and get it right optically before using software. (but, I'm weird. My aim is to do as little PP as possible sicne it pisses me off)
I suppose most of us do that, or at least try hard. Me too! Coz i sure try to get the JPEG image as pleasing as possible so that i can PP it minimally using my iPad2 and posting it straight up for web..

Maybe it's me, but i seem to be lacking in creativity to PP all those cool and nice looking shots. Most of my shots seems to be technically correct in exposure, WB, DoF and what-nots and that's all..

Everytime i try to be a little bit extreme in PP-ing for HDR or anything like that, i don't seem to like it... But i sure do like those that are done by others. Weird eh?

04-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
(but, I'm weird. My aim is to do as little PP as possible sicne it pisses me off)
So in the days before digital did darkroom work piss you off?
04-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I didn't really do a huge amount of darkroom stuff involving much more than cropping and a little dodging and burning.

PP has it's place, and it gets some brilliant results.
But for me photography is a hobby, I do it because I enjoy it.
I don't enjoy the computer part though, so I try to minimise that bit.
04-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Hehee.... I have never experienced the darkroom... Sure i did point and shoot a film camera back then. But dropping them off to be developed is just what we did back then..

Into "serious" photography only last year and up till today, i guess i lack the creative juice to PP a shot... Only thing i can do is, make it technically correct.. LOL!
THAT, pisses me off... So i'll just try my very best to get it all right in-camera and be done with it...

04-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I didn't really do a huge amount of darkroom stuff involving much more than cropping and a little dodging and burning.

PP has it's place, and it gets some brilliant results.
But for me photography is a hobby, I do it because I enjoy it.
I don't enjoy the computer part though, so I try to minimise that bit.
I really like digital for the ease and flexibility of the digital "darkroom". Much easier than fussing about in a dedicated area fiddling with chemicals and having concern that someone might open the door at the most inopportune moment.

And my digital "darkroom" is much smaller, and portable too!

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Hehee.... I have never experienced the darkroom... Sure i did point and shoot a film camera back then. But dropping them off to be developed is just what we did back then..

Into "serious" photography only last year and up till today, i guess i lack the creative juice to PP a shot... Only thing i can do is, make it technically correct.. LOL!
THAT, pisses me off... So i'll just try my very best to get it all right in-camera and be done with it...
I see.

For sure I do the best I can to get the shot where it needs to be in camera, but massaging photos in post adds another dimension that film just didn't quite have.