Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Astro Photography!

Okay. So, after seeing some amazing astrophotography work done by people (found on the Google-machine) I need to know more about this. This may be kind of vague but I'd like to know everything needed to do it, and how exactly to take the photos themselves.
Specific things I'd like to know about are
Lenses needed?
Tripod or fancy gyroscopic anti-gravity device?

04-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
O-GPS1 is a start It's a terrific device and I keep wanting one, listing it on my gifts list, and still don't have one A very solid tripod is another important piece of equipment. PK Tether seems to help too. I've seen lenses from wide angle to telephoto used but quality glass always improves an image over poorer glass.
04-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Is the O-GPS1 needed for astrophotography? Also, the tripod I have is an (old) Slik U-212 would this be sufficient?
What is a PK tether? haha Never heard of it. And for a lens I'd be inclined to use my Sigma 21-35mm f/3.5-4.2 (seems like a quality lens in my opinion never been able to find any reviews on it though).
Also, I'm curious to know what aperture is commonly used and what shutter speed or how long of a bulb/timed exposure is often used, as well as criteria for good locations to do it at.
04-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
Is the O-GPS1 needed for astrophotography? Also, the tripod I have is an (old) Slik U-212 would this be sufficient?
What is a PK tether? haha Never heard of it. And for a lens I'd be inclined to use my Sigma 21-35mm f/3.5-4.2 (seems like a quality lens in my opinion never been able to find any reviews on it though).
Also, I'm curious to know what aperture is commonly used and what shutter speed or how long of a bulb/timed exposure is often used, as well as criteria for good locations to do it at.
Required. No, its not. Astrophotography has been around since photography began. The O-GPS1 is unique to the Pentax system because it uses our Shake Reduction megnetic sensor to move and compensate for the apparent movement of the stars/objects.

PK tether allows you to control the camera via USB cord thereby minimizing vibration and allowing you to change settings, unlike an IR remote, and view the image on the computer screen immediately after it is completed. As for specific settings, take a look at the various threads and examples. There are lots and the EXIF data can be very helpful with regard to settings.

04-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How would I do a PK tether?
04-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

How would I do a PK tether?
It's shareware that you load to your computer and then connect the computer to the camera via USB cord.

PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras
04-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
As a general rule, the lower the f ratio, the fewer seconds are needed to achieve a proper exposure.

"Hyperstar" attachment is an excellent example of this. Pricey combo though.

A t-mount is essential for prime focus. A tracking equatorial mount opens up a whole new world, but also expensive. Alt/az mounts can work but over 30 seconds trailing occurs. A field derotator can correct this, also expensive. But a Nexstar 6 with hyperstar (focal reducer) can eliminate all of these problems.

I really really REALLY want pentax Astrotracer enabled for my k-01...still waiting (im certainly not the only one). If you have a compatable camera, I would highly suggest getting one. It's the easiest and most fun way to get into taking GREAT astrophotos. No mount, no focal reducer, no field derotator, it's just one of the greatest features I've ever seen in a camera.

04-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamaha Quote
As a general rule, the lower the f ratio, the fewer seconds are needed to achieve a proper exposure.

"Hyperstar" attachment is an excellent example of this. Pricey combo though.

A t-mount is essential for prime focus. A tracking equatorial mount opens up a whole new world, but also expensive. Alt/az mounts can work but over 30 seconds trailing occurs. A field derotator can correct this, also expensive. But a Nexstar 6 with hyperstar (focal reducer) can eliminate all of these problems.

I really really REALLY want pentax Astrotracer enabled for my k-01...still waiting (im certainly not the only one). If you have a compatable camera, I would highly suggest getting one. It's the easiest and most fun way to get into taking GREAT astrophotos. No mount, no focal reducer, no field derotator, it's just one of the greatest features I've ever seen in a camera.
Reference to extremely knowledgable member: Check out posts from vancmann - View Profile - PentaxForums.com

He takes absolutely incredible astrophotos. He really knows his stuff.
04-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Isn't the O-GPS1 only compatible with certain Pentax cameras?
04-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Isn't the O-GPS1 only compatible with certain Pentax cameras?
That is correct. But it does work with the k-01. Every GPS feature is enabled for that particular camera EXCEPT the Astrotracer function. It's driving me nuts. Crossing fingers the next firmware update will address this.
04-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Okay. So, after seeing some amazing astrophotography work done by people (found on the Google-machine) I need to know more about this. This may be kind of vague but I'd like to know everything needed to do it, and how exactly to take the photos themselves.
Specific things I'd like to know about are
Lenses needed?
Tripod or fancy gyroscopic anti-gravity device?
You can do astrophotos using the "hat method" even if you don't have a tracking mount and shutter release.

Weasner's "Hat Trick" Method Astrophotography Page

I've achieved fairly decent results with just a camera and and tripod by using a fairly high ISO between 3 and 10 seconds.
04-24-2013, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I need to know more about this. This may be kind of vague but I'd like to know everything needed to do it,
You have camera; you have some lenses; you have a tripod. Thus, you have everything you "need" to get started in astrophotography. See for example here:

A Beginner's Guide to DSLR Astrophotography - Fixed Tripod Astrophotography

As your skills and interests develop, you will find the need to track the motions of the stars, which means some kind of equatororial mount or, as mentioned above, the O-GPS1. If, you want to know "everything", that will be several books, but I suggest that you take a look at these threasds here at PF:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/113178-astrophotography.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/143409-k-5-astrophotography-24.html

Astrophotography - PentaxForums.com
04-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamaha Quote
That is correct. But it does work with the k-01. Every GPS feature is enabled for that particular camera EXCEPT the Astrotracer function. It's driving me nuts. Crossing fingers the next firmware update will address this.
I am afraid that cannot be done. To the best of my knowledge, Astrotracer and Live View won't work together.
04-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
I am afraid that cannot be done. To the best of my knowledge, Astrotracer and Live View won't work together.
The press release way back when for the K-01 said it was capable of using Astrotracer. Another member here said he actually got it to work on accident. Without much elaboration though.

You're probably right though, it's probably too good to be true at this point.
05-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

There are a couple good threads already on this topic in the DSLR and K5 sections.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/113178-astrophotography.html

and

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/143409-k-5-astrophotography.html