Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
My impression was that the image needed darkening, although not necessarily by boosting contrast. Possibly by either darkening the whole image, or just bringing down the highlights a little bit. I would definitely say it is an image worth experimenting with.
Darkening further or darkening without the added contrast?

05-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noahdsnell Quote
Darkening further or darkening without the added contrast?
Starting from the original, and playing with either contrast or just general darkening independently, at least at first.
05-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Given that 1 picture is worth a 1000 words my take on it - for what it's worth.

Last edited by wildman; 05-06-2013 at 06:38 PM.
05-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Given that 1 picture is worth a 1000 words my take on it - for what it's worth.
Interesting result. What was done to the image? Just darkening and desaturation?

05-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Noah:

You also may want to start with a Highlight Recovery function if you shot in Raw. This will pull detail back into the highlights and then let you work with the mid tones and shadows separately. Get the processing right and you have a very nice image!

Regards,
05-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Noah:

You also may want to start with a Highlight Recovery function if you shot in Raw. This will pull detail back into the highlights and then let you work with the mid tones and shadows separately. Get the processing right and you have a very nice image!

Regards,
Hi,
I do shot RAW, but I could not recover the highlights simply by dragging the highlights down. Is there any other way to recover these highlights?
05-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Interesting result. What was done to the image? Just darkening and desaturation?
Straighten it, desaturated and lowered the luminosity of the blue, manually corrected the color balance with the channel mixer, increased contrast in the mid range, used a neutral density filter from top to bottom for better balance etc. Hard to remember all the steps exactly.

The highlights are truly burned so used it as a feature of the pic. Locally burned in the cobble stones to give it that wet cobble stone look.

I could have done better with a raw file but you get the idea anyway.

Last edited by wildman; 05-04-2013 at 06:03 AM.
05-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I do shot RAW, but I could not recover the highlights simply by dragging the highlights down. Is there any other way to recover these highlights?
No. burned highlights are just that - gone. There is no useful editable data there.
05-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No. burned highlights are just that - gone. There is no useful editable data there.
Actually, Burned, may not be lost. There does come a point at which you cannot recover any data, but a digital image favors over exposure (a bit) and you can get some of the information/image detail back. I use Paintshop Pro and the Highlight Recovery function can pull a fair amount of data out of a "washed out" area. This function is used in their RAW converter. I am sure there MUST be something in PS or LR that will allow this recovery also.

Regards,
05-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Actually, Burned, may not be lost. There does come a point at which you cannot recover any data, but a digital image favors over exposure (a bit) and you can get some of the information/image detail back.
It's all a matter of definition.

For me "burned" highlights are, by definition, those areas of the image where there is no useable data.
This image had areas where there was just nothing there at least on the low quality jpg screen dump I had to work with.
There is a certain level of luminosity above which the sensor can no longer differentiate between different levels of luminosity - it is all at the same level so far as the sensor is concerned even if there would be a perceptible difference to the naked eye. Above this level is my definition of "burned'.
05-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a certain level of luminosity above which the sensor can no longer differentiate between different levels of luminosity - it is all at the same level so far as the sensor is concerned even if there would be a perceptible difference to the naked eye.
Agreed Wildman. The data is in the upper reaches of the tone curve are for all intensive purposes, lost. Only in the Raw file can you pull the data back out. You could not do so with the JPG (though the changes you did with the image I like). But there comes a point to which the sensor has become saturated and though we may perceive a difference in the high tonal areas, yes, the sensor cannot handle the light level and even the Raw file will be blown out in these extra high light areas.

Regards,
05-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Optionally, select the blue and decrease the blue's luminosity and increase its saturation a bit, add a vignette with color priority and small center, pull the blacks down and decrease, locally, the contrast and highlights common to bright lights.
05-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

The data is in the upper reaches of the tone curve are for all intensive purposes, lost.
Yep.
But as you say there may be something there with proper PP. My motto is there is no data until ACR+PS says there is no data.
05-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I have adjusted the contrast and temperature a bit more, and did perspective adjustments on Lightroom. This is the result.
I love Vancouver, especially Gastown
Anyway, I like the second image better, one little nitpic though, I would close out that power line in the upper left hand corner. You got rid of most of it with the tighter crop, but it is still there.