Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Opinion on "blown out" image?

I am normally a perfectionist when it comes to photography, and I do not tolerate overexposure often. However, I got this photo recently, and would appreciate your opinions on the overexposure on the street.

Attached Images

04-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is a very nice capture!
that largest blown streak on the street is a little bothersome to me, not terribly, but what jumps out at me most is the clash of mixed light here causing the buildings to have a cool blue cast and the street to be overly yellow. I would double process for 2 white balance settings and blend. Regardless, there is a certain amount of chaos implied by the light trails and bright lights, so it lends to an effect.
04-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noahdsnell Quote
I am normally a perfectionist when it comes to photography, and I do not tolerate overexposure often. However, I got this photo recently, and would appreciate your opinions on the overexposure on the street.
I don't mind the blown out streaks at all, and the overall composition is very nice. I think if you boosted the contrast of the rest of the image, the yellow color cast would go away and it would be even better!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #4

Where's the picture taken?

04-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steppenfuchs Quote
Where's the picture taken?
This was taken at the Hotel Europe in Gastown (Vancouver, B.C., Canada).
04-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
This is a very nice capture!
that largest blown streak on the street is a little bothersome to me, not terribly, but what jumps out at me most is the clash of mixed light here causing the buildings to have a cool blue cast and the street to be overly yellow. I would double process for 2 white balance settings and blend. Regardless, there is a certain amount of chaos implied by the light trails and bright lights, so it lends to an effect.
Thanks. I will try blending two white balance settings and blending. If it turns out well, I will repost the image on this thread.
04-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't mind the blown out streaks at all, and the overall composition is very nice. I think if you boosted the contrast of the rest of the image, the yellow color cast would go away and it would be even better!
I will try boosting the contrast of the rest, and will repost the image if this works. Thanks.

04-29-2013, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by noahdsnell Quote
This was taken at the Hotel Europe in Gastown (Vancouver, B.C., Canada).
I thought that looks way too familiar.

Thumbs up for a fellow Vancouverite.
04-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree that the contrast should be adjusted--so the entire image is not so light--which would make the light pavement/car light, etc. more meaningful.

Also use (skew--as is called in photoshop) to adjust the perpective--pulling left top side out--so buildings and light post are vertical. In this case the falling perspective does not work well (IMO).
04-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I agree that the contrast should be adjusted--so the entire image is not so light--which would make the light pavement/car light, etc. more meaningful.

Also use (skew--as is called in photoshop) to adjust the perpective--pulling left top side out--so buildings and light post are vertical. In this case the falling perspective does not work well (IMO).
Thanks, is there any alternative to skew in Photoshop? I use Lightroom and Nik, but not Photoshop. I wouldn't mind trying it out.
04-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would use skew to get the extreme left side vertical and then do less skew to right side--or skew to get left and right side equal, and then perspective to finish it. You may also want to even out the horizon line before doing these.

I only use photoshop--so cannot help there. But I would be surprised if it isn't available in most other software.
04-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #12

I would use skew to get the extreme left side vertical and then do less skew to right side--or skew to get left and right side equal, and then perspective to finish it. You may also want to even out the horizon line before doing these.

I only use photoshop--so cannot help there. But I would be surprised if it isn't available in most other software.
In Lightroom you can try to adjust perspective in the Lens Corrections panel, under manual. See if it gets better. I also have no problem with the picture once contrast is adjusted.
04-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

somebody scribbled your name in the middle of the street - I think you should remove that.
05-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have adjusted the contrast and temperature a bit more, and did perspective adjustments on Lightroom. This is the result.
Attached Images

05-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #15
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My impression was that the image needed darkening, although not necessarily by boosting contrast. Possibly by either darkening the whole image, or just bringing down the highlights a little bit. I would definitely say it is an image worth experimenting with.