Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #1

Is there a way to limit maximum shutter speed?

to shoot fixed aperture (let's say f8) and variable shutter speed from a certain value up ONLY (let's say 1/250 to max 1/6000) and auto ISO? I'm shooting a K-x.

Or at least auto ISO in M mode?

I like shooting Av, but find that shutter speed drops too often under 1/100. Don't want to shoot Tv because I don't want to lose control over DoF. P mode is just automatic everything, and I don't ALWAYS have the time to shoot M mode. I want to shoot M mode with some tweaks, is there such a thing?

The K-x is just to get used to Pentax for a while. I wouldn't mind finding out what other bodies have that kind of options. Or maybe the K-x has it and I'm too dumb to find it.

04-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't think that's possible on any pentax. There are ways to tweak the program line in the menu, but I honestly don't touch that... I shoot TAv instead.

Any pentax with TAv mode (higher than base level) can do close to what you're asking for... set the shutter speed and aperture, with auto ISO.
04-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #3

Original Poster
So Tav is what I'm looking for. Thanks.
04-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately I believe the K-x was the last Pentax DSLR (and MILC) to not allow Auto ISO in M mode.
Other bodies have TAV mode which is the same thing, or else they let you use AUTO ISO in M mode.

04-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
I've read about Tav, and although sounds pretty cool, it is not exactly what I was looking for.

Can I set shutter 1/250-1/6000, F8 only, and auto ISO? On any Pentax body?
04-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steppenfuchs Quote
Can I set shutter 1/250-1/6000, F8 only, and auto ISO? On any Pentax body?
No the range in shutter speed is not possible. Using AV mode the shutter speed will go as low as conditions dictate.
In general it attempts to keep it above 1/focal length but if all other limits are reached shutter may drop more to achieve correct exposure.

In TAv you can select a specific shutter speed (depends on the application), F stop (for desired depth of field or lens sweet spot) and then let ISO float from base to a preset maximum.

Selection of a set shutter speed is usually desired - what is your application?
04-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #7

Original Poster
Uhm there's not really an application, I'm just learning...and I'm pretty hectic in my shooting, most times I'm not even realizing that Av is giving me 1/60 shutter speed, and I end up with motion blur. Not that heavy, but can be clearly seen when zooming in. So I prefer higher shutter speeds.

I was randomly shooting in the park today, it was windy, whenever I was in the shadows Av was giving me speeds under 1/100, all my trees ended up blurry. Almost talking to the K-x, and saying stuff like "dude, please bump the ISO and give me decent shutter speeds".

04-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can always bump up the ISO yourself in lower light situations.
04-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #9

Original Poster
I'm obviously doing that. I think I'm just frustrated at not being able to shoot as fast as I want, that's all...
04-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Unfortunately I believe the K-x was the last Pentax DSLR (and MILC) to not allow Auto ISO in M mode.
Other bodies have TAV mode which is the same thing, or else they let you use AUTO ISO in M mode.
I'm using a Kr and if i understand your statements here, Kr also does not allow Auto-ISO in M mode.
I believe Kr is the last one. Anything "higher" than K5 allows it: the wonderful TAv mode; user sets shutter speed (T) and apaerture (Av) while the body selects it's own ISO (Auto-ISO).

No the range in shutter speed is not possible. Using AV mode the shutter speed will go as low as conditions dictate.
In general it attempts to keep it above 1/focal length but if all other limits are reached shutter may drop more to achieve correct exposure.

In TAv you can select a specific shutter speed (depends on the application), F stop (for desired depth of field or lens sweet spot) and then let ISO float from base to a preset maximum.

Selection of a set shutter speed is usually desired - what is your application?
Hey, i think i might be wrong on this but i believe i read somewhere that the K5 allows a user to sort of "set" the minimum targeted shutter speed in Av mode?
Something in the setting that tells the camera the shutter speed "aimed" for like, Low(1/60), Medium(1/125), High(1/180)?
*once again, i might be wrong coz i thought i read it somewhere..*

If so, i'm not sure too whether this applies to the K5ii/s and K30..

EDIT: Regarding the Auto-ISO parameter, found the quote from erm... not sure whether it's safe to list the other forum but i'll just put the quote here:

• Standard will get you a low shutter speed threshold of (around) 1/1.5*f before upping the ISO (i.e. a 30mm will have a low shutter speed of 1/50).
  • Slow will protect the ISO by one stop by allowing a full stop lower speed (in our example above, you'll get a 1/25 low limit)
  • Fast will be more ISO-aggressive by, again, one stop (so you'll end up with a 1/100 shutter speed in the above example).

Last edited by SyncGuy; 04-30-2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: found the info!
04-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
I'm using a Kr and if i understand your statements here, Kr also does not allow Auto-ISO in M mode. I believe Kr is the last one. Anything "higher" than K5 allows it: the wonderful TAv mode; user sets shutter speed (T) and apaerture (Av) while the body selects it's own ISO (Auto-ISO).
Oh bummer, I thought K-r allowed it, sorry.
04-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

There really isn't, because, how would the camera know what you want?
Think about it.
If the shot is okay at F8 with:
1/250 and ISO400
if shutter and ISO are on auto...
how does the camera know if you want
1/250 and 400ISO
1/125 and 200ISO
1/500 and 800ISO
etc
You're a step away from full auto mode at that point (with some minor restrictions) and automode generally doesn't generate great results. You're letting the camera make decisions that it usually just gets totally wrong, by running the ISO really high (I had some friends who used a Nikon in automode and it was always choosing like 3200 ISO making grainy photos)
I just had to put my K30 in auto mode , because I haven't even once used it in that mode to see what happens. Even there, you have to either set the ISO or set a range. Then it tries to guess a "scene" type and apply some settings.

in manual on the K-X do you have to choose a specific ISO?
04-30-2013, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No a Pentax camera will not specifically do this. However the K-5 (but not K-x unfortunately - which I also own) does have some nice features that can help (particularly while in P mode):
1. Auto ISO parameter can set to bias ISO - Slow, Normal, Fast. If you set Fast then the camera increases ISO earlier meaning that you end up with a faster shutter. This can be quite useful for reducing the effect of shake (I find Normal is pretty good balance for most shooting).
2. Program Line parameter - Auto, Normal, Sport, Landscape, Portrait, MTF. This effects how the camera selects Aperture / Shutter and indirectly ISO. For example Sport selects a relatively fast shutter speed and Landscape sets smaller aperture (for more depth of field).
04-30-2013, 04:10 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect we all are occasionally guilty of getting carried away with shooting, and ignoring what the top LCD or viewfinder is telling us.
Just get better at it. Slow down a fraction. Review the first few shots you take when conditions change, and adjust accordingly.
Otherwise just shoot in green mode and accept quite a lot of your shots will be rubbish (not really recommending this....)
04-30-2013, 04:26 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh bummer, I thought K-r allowed it, sorry.
The K-01 was the first to allow a pseudo-TAV. The K-30, because it uses a modified K-01 firmware, actually has a bug in that it still allows Auto-ISO in M mode.