Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #1

car photography, lighting up car

I'm a big car fan and would love to take some nice shots of my cars. Here's a good example of what I would like to achieve, so I am wondering how to achieve it? I have done a bit of reading and came across light painting, is this how it was done?

50 Years of 911

thanks.

04-30-2013, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here, this is a great one for you...

04-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
Great link, thanks.

Looks like I'll have to make up a number of cheap soft boxes and start ironing white sheets!
04-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't forget that these were mostly shots taken for Porsche ads to promote the new 911 and were taken somewhere like a model showroom. What do you have access to?

04-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can technically see most of the lights in the room. Looks like several rows of fluorescent lights above/behind the cam, a good amount of light above the car itself, a softbox or something to the left side of the image behind the car, and some lights bounced off the orange wall.
05-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ASheffield Quote
Don't forget that these were mostly shots taken for Porsche ads to promote the new 911 and were taken somewhere like a model showroom. What do you have access to?
I obviously went into this with too higher expectations .
The only access I have is to my 911, no current access to showroom or lights.
I would therefore be looking to try something on the cheap with "backyard" lighting maybe setup in a garage or similar. The final product would not likely be anywhere as professional but it might be fun trying and giving it ago and at least treating it as a learning experience of both lighting and camera technique.
05-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #7

You might want to check out the shoot David Hobby did for this video, it starts at about 15 minutes. Shooting a lambo with some super cheap gear.

05-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Here, this is a great one for you...

I hope he kept the original RAW files safely stored away before he let that myopic ape do the PP !! Yuck

05-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I shot this using just a couple of speedlights in full shade on the grounds of an elementary school.

05-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adelorenzo Quote
You might want to check out the shoot David Hobby did for this video, it starts at about 15 minutes. Shooting a lambo with some super cheap gear.

Strobist, Cheap Camera Challenge - DigitalRev TV - YouTube
One problem though. My K30 has nothing on that Buzz Lightyear camera LOL

@ MPrince, thanks for the photo. Nice work.
05-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #11

Original Poster
update

I had some fun on the weekend playing with some lights and my car in the garage. Excuse the background as I didn't move my ski and other distractions I was more interested in playing and learning about the lighting.

Anyway, here is an example of my first attempt on the weekend:
PP7-11-13-1935 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I'm interested in any feedback. Apart from the background distractions I can see that I needed more light on the roof and a diffuser over the lights to soften the glare.
05-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #12

Maybe it's best to take photos under the sunlight because otherwise you'll need some proper equipment for indoor lightning.
05-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Your light source needs to be larger to hide the lighting reflections on the door. One way this can be achieved is to take a very large white sheet and pin it on the ceiling at a 45degree angle (facing the side of the car from above at 45degrees, will need to string it to the wall also to make a light box) and bounce the flash behind it. This will essentailly create a pretty large soft box which will light the side of the car. Play around with flash exposure compensation to control the brightness.
05-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by adelorenzo Quote

Strobist, Cheap Camera Challenge - DigitalRev TV - YouTube
I love this video.

I Vote for sunlight but pick your sunlight right. I like to use a setting sun. I am not good with the flash it is something I need to work on.
05-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #15

Could use a better background but you get the point. I like setting sun.