Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Very nice work. Flash is your friend. Even lower power settings will result in sharper images. C an't seem to find it now but there was a long thread a while back on power of flash and freezing humming birds in flight. You might look around the forum and see if you can find it.
Hi! Docrwm, I'll try to look around and read more about using Flash in better way. I've not explored how to use flash other than just pop up flash as in Point and shoot and there it goes. I may sound too amateur but then I'm new to DSLR world, learning baby steps.

05-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
Very nice shots!

You could experiment with using a higher shutter speed and higher ISO that would allow you to freeze the wings. Also save up and get a fast telephoto prime lens that would allow you to use a higher shutter speed but because it lets in more light you could still keep your ISO lower for less noise.

Your shots are great though!!
Hi! Gordon, Thanks for suggestions. Could you please suggest such fast telephoto prime lens. Also do the old Takumar or M fall in such category as well. Please name a few models.
05-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by samysarena Quote
Hi! Docrwm, I'll try to look around and read more about using Flash in better way. I've not explored how to use flash other than just pop up flash as in Point and shoot and there it goes. I may sound too amateur but then I'm new to DSLR world, learning baby steps.
Freezing action is more a factor of how fast the flash is when you get to humming bird wing speed than the shutter speed is. If they were on your neighbors porch then a flash is not going to work. Get some feeders to draw them closer and then try flash at different settings -0.5, -1.0, etc.
05-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Freezing action is more a factor of how fast the flash is when you get to humming bird wing speed than the shutter speed is. If they were on your neighbors porch then a flash is not going to work. Get some feeders to draw them closer and then try flash at different settings -0.5, -1.0, etc.
Thanks for quick response. Yes I am gonna buy a feeder, I love these birds. Would not these birds get scared with flash. I read they've very very fast heart beat (250 beats per minute resting and 1250 beats per minute while feeding).

05-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Thanks for quick response. Yes I am gonna buy a feeder, I love these birds. Would not these birds get scared with flash. I read they've very very fast heart beat (250 beats per minute resting and 1250 beats per minute while feeding).
Others have been successful with flash and local hummingbirds. Do a search here for Hummingbird and you'll find some good threads on this issue.
05-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Others have been successful with flash and local hummingbirds. Do a search here for Hummingbird and you'll find some good threads on this issue.
Yup thanks for heads up. I am looking around
05-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I think either the Sigma or Tamron 70-200 f2.8 would fit the bill well for those two types of photography.

05-07-2013, 04:41 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used flash with birding for about 15 years now, it goes virtually in noticed, and gives you very good definition because it can really freeze motion.

As for lenses, you will find this is a slippery slope, you can never get a long enough lens.

Right now, I am playing with a Q, since it has a 5.5:1 crop factor it makes my K135 like a 750mmF2.5 lens, but I think the Q can actually our resolve the lens.
05-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have used flash with birding for about 15 years now, it goes virtually in noticed, and gives you very good definition because it can really freeze motion.

As for lenses, you will find this is a slippery slope, you can never get a long enough lens.

Right now, I am playing with a Q, since it has a 5.5:1 crop factor it makes my K135 like a 750mmF2.5 lens, but I think the Q can actually our resolve the lens.
Are you using a Pentax adapter or a 3rd party one (can't recall sorry)?
05-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Principles of Birding Ethics | About the American Birding Association | American Birding Association
05-07-2013, 04:58 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you using a Pentax adapter or a 3rd party one (can't recall sorry)?
pentax, i went for the ability to have flash with legacy glass
05-07-2013, 05:13 AM   #27
Veteran Member

pentax, i went for the ability to have flash with legacy glass
Thought that might be the case, also you have the built in shutter.
05-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not sure what you are suggesting here, but a flash is very, very non intrusive. I can understand lighting for video etc, where amongst other things the heat alone is disturbing and stressful, but flash is really no different that lightning or other natural events which birds are exposed to. I have, for example never had a bird leave its perch when shooting with flash, but i have often seen this when people approach.

Clearly common sense needs to be taken into account, especially near nesting areas, for the obvious reasons, but i do not see flash, combined with a telephoto lens as an issue
05-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thought that might be the case, also you have the built in shutter.
the built in shutter is what really allows flash, because without it, sync speed is something like 1/13 of a second. With the Pentax adaptor you get up to at least 1/250.

I have not done a lot yet with the Q and flash for wild life, as the main reason I am looking at the Q for wildlife in particular is to get more reach with less lens. Presently I am playing with a K135/2.5 and a series 1 70-210/3.5. the 135 has a FF equivalent of 750mm and the zoom at 210mm is something like 1100mm FF equivalent.

I dont know of any other way to get 1100mm at F3.5 in under 1 kilo

p.s. to the op, sorry for the hijack
05-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am not sure what you are suggesting here, but a flash is very, very non intrusive. I can understand lighting for video etc, where amongst other things the heat alone is disturbing and stressful, but flash is really no different that lightning or other natural events which birds are exposed to. I have, for example never had a bird leave its perch when shooting with flash, but i have often seen this when people approach.

Clearly common sense needs to be taken into account, especially near nesting areas, for the obvious reasons, but i do not see flash, combined with a telephoto lens as an issue
This has been debated ad nauseum...my local Audubon comes down on the side of no flash.