Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How to focus when using a tripod

Hello everybody,

I have recently purchased a K5 and yesterday I added a tripod (MK293A3-A0RC2). I am planning to give it a try tomorrow. I will be using hyper manual mode M and self-timer (2 sec).

My question is: what would be the best practice to focus with such setup? so far I have set the focusing area on center and I have been using the focus-lock focus-recompose-shoot technique, but will it work on a tripod, or it will be too difficult to keep my finger on the shutter release button while recomposing now that the camera would be on a tripod? are there any other options?

My experience with SLR's is very limited, I've got the camera few days ago and this is my first DSLR.

I will be using the kit lens (18-55 WR) with a CPL filter.

05-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Try live view, move the focus box to where you want focus to be in the scene and take the picture.
05-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Live view, manual focus, SR off, self-timer, wireless remote control. I also auto bracket by .5-1 stops. Mode (Av, M, Tv etc.) is not important.

M
05-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or, if live view doesn't work for you, use the AF button on the back of the camera to focus and in the menu disable that the shutter button activates AF.

05-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While you are in LiveView, you can press the [info] button and it will zoom in 2x. Press the [info] button and you go to 4x, and again to 6x, then one more time and it will return to standard LiveView. At each stage, you can use the arrow buttons to move up/down/left or right and make focus adjustments.

enjoy!!

05-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Or, if live view doesn't work for you, use the AF button on the back of the camera to focus and in the menu disable that the shutter button activates AF.
This is my setup, works well.
05-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MADDSNIPER Quote
This is my setup, works well.
Can you please specify exactly what do I need to do in order to achieve this? I did not modify this setting as it seemed to me the manual was a bit unclear. I only need to modify one setting, right ? disable that shutter button activates AF. Or do I need to make another one for the AF button?