Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I do weddings regularly and have some do's.
- Make self known to priest,minister,celebrant or MC and ask that photos be done after I have signalled that I am finished. That is usually when I move out of the central shooters position. I also ask fellow photographers and guests if they are all finished before I request the next family line up or composition. Obviously I don't sell many prints to guests as they all end up having exactly the same shots as I do as I have composed them.
- Be assertive in making room in the composition. At one beach wedding I scored a line in the sand with the monopod and requested that everyone stay behind it. The guests did.
- Have a second shooter doing the colour shots. They are invaluable and often score peripheral images that take place when people don't expect to be photographed.

I live and work in a small community and people know me so I can take some liberties I guess.

My day job is teacher but you probably guessed that by now.

05-17-2013, 03:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Just to play devil's advocate here, pros can be asses too. Try being the Father of the Bride and being told "No photography!" by a "pro" when the pro wasn't even set up for a shot! Yes, civilians can be a pain for the pro, but I've also seen some real piece of work "pro" photographers too.
I agree on this point.. Problem is, the number of "some" is perhaps 10% chance? And the other 90% are just wannabes.
Now, THOSE wannabes are the problem that we are facing..

Encourage this further and the actual value of that 90% will equate to a future where people just gets married like animals on display..

So perhaps before that future arrives a lot sooner than later, let's get back to the enjoyment of sitting in for a class performance.
05-17-2013, 03:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
I do weddings regularly and have some do's.
- Make self known to priest,minister,celebrant or MC and ask that photos be done after I have signalled that I am finished. That is usually when I move out of the central shooters position. I also ask fellow photographers and guests if they are all finished before I request the next family line up or composition. Obviously I don't sell many prints to guests as they all end up having exactly the same shots as I do as I have composed them.
- Be assertive in making room in the composition. At one beach wedding I scored a line in the sand with the monopod and requested that everyone stay behind it. The guests did.
- Have a second shooter doing the colour shots. They are invaluable and often score peripheral images that take place when people don't expect to be photographed.

I live and work in a small community and people know me so I can take some liberties I guess.

My day job is teacher but you probably guessed that by now.
That sounds a lot like the best wedding photographer I ever watched work. She was polite, efficient, respectful, and assertive. Photos weren't too shabby either
05-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I get plenty of phones and ipads at weddings now and you really have to just roll with it. Your clients aren't going to love you if you are telling their guests what they can and cannot do.

I always meet with the officiant prior to the ceremony and inform them of where I would like to be for the different parts of the ceremony. Occasionally, I will have someone who asks the guests to not use flash or sound, but that never works because people don't actually know how to use their cameras. I had one uncle bob with a D700 who heard the no flash announcement and went on with his bad self anyway. I had to ask him to stop because I was afraid the church ladies would think he was part of my outfit and ban me from the church (they can do that, church ladies have power!). Most flashes are no big deal. Will they ruin a shot here or there? Of course. But I don't just take one frame of the kiss. This is where 7fps comes in handy at a wedding! Action is not reserved for just sports!

During the group shots, I do ask that they let me take the pictures first and then I tell them when to shoot. A lot of times they buy my pictures then because in the uncle bob shots there are people looking at 5 different cameras. Mine is the only one with everyone looking right where they should be.

I embrace the phones and the ipads. I have taken some shots with only the phone being in focus. The couples like that their guests are enjoying this moment. During the reception the DJ or band will usually ask guests to be mindful of the photographer for the special dances or the cake cutting and people are usually good. I will politely ask someone to move if I have to.

I think the key is to go with the flow, know your craft, and find a workaround. It makes everyone happier.

05-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
If that "sea" of Iphone and Ipad screens is bothersome to the photographer, imagine how that will feel for the marrying couple. All those people being more interested in updating their smegging Facebook pages or whatever, instead of just paying attention to your ceremony.
Actually, most of them are probably trying to take pictures or videos with the built-in camera of their phone/tablet. I see this all the time when we visit the Georgia Aquarium (another low-light venue). I've got my K-30 out trying to get some good shots of the whale shark swimming by and here come the iPads and cellphones moving in front of you. It's weird. Normally outdoors people around here are very conscientious about not walking in front of someone with a camera up to their eye, but at the aquarium they don't seem to give it a second thought. Perhaps they just don't notice you in the dark?
05-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Some people are very observant of their surroundings and some are totally unaware of their surroundings .... I think half of the latter group also think (at least unconsciously) they are the center of their universe. A polite "excuse me" will give you the answer to that last conjecture. And then you have to decide if you are at least somewhat the center of your universe and if it is worthwhile to make a scene.
05-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
I am guessing that that's why, on a safari, you also bring firearms....
LOL Africa is dangerous, but it's not the animals you need to worry about. You are right.

05-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The high Episcopal church where my son was just married actually got so annoyed with this during the PnS era that they prohibited all photographs (and all flash photographs by professionals) in the Nave during the actual service. They allow the ring and kiss shots taken with zooms without flash from 1/3 up the aisle. Everything else has to be shot from the Narthex (outside the actual church). Altar Guild ladies actually ask a violator to leave - and they are actually shamed into actually leaving. It only happens once.

Group shots happen in the church, but before the service. We got there five hours early, were served lunch, dressed and sat in the Church for the various line-up calls. What a freakin' zoo - especially to be Groom's side, since we go last.

Candid wedding party shots are not permitted on-premises afterward. They take church limos to a nearby park or inside the Rectory for an hour or so while the guests assemble in the receiving area and drink.

You think Bridezilla or MOTBzilla is bad? Try Priestzilla! A few photographers have figured out that a dark SUIT, white shirt and a tie, polished shoes and a pleasing demeanor open the doors.

I know it sounds ridiculous but it actually works. You have to book the Church a year in advance and they do 4 weddings each weekend (the smaller 10am Saturday weddings get there at 7:00 and must have an off-site reception to allow for the 4pm wedding group photos).

Last edited by monochrome; 05-17-2013 at 05:51 PM.
05-19-2013, 04:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

A lot of you would not survive at a Korean wedding..
Weddings here are a free for all. Often the buffet area isn't big enough for everyone to sit at at once, so people eat in shifts..which means people are constantly wandering in and out during the ceremony. They'll go to eat as soon as they arrive, and sometimes 15 minutes after the ceremony has started they'll wander in and watch a bit, make a few calls, some kids will play a game of catch.

The photographer needs to take control, but he needs the Bride and Groom's backing. It's much better for them to start the ceremony with "This is our photographer, please stay out of his way" rather than having some photographer start issuing rules. Even better, include the rules on the invite.
05-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My bud and I shot several weddings back in the film days. At that time we had little problem with the PoS crowd, and we could intimidate those folk with our 645 gear, etc. I've not done weddings for many years professionally, and have no intention of doing so. When I attend a wedding I ask the pro, if there is one, if he/she minds if I shoot candids, and promise to stay out of their way. Generally when they see that I have A REAL CAMERA they are cordial.

The comments about the cursed tablets are right on the mark. We attended our granddaughter's dance recital yesterday, and those behemoths were everywhere. GRRRRR..... Same at the Tennessee Aquarium recently.

Another sad development: It seems that the phrase "Excuse me" is supposed to allow the speaker to barge ahead of you or me and act in a generally brattish manner. This happened at the Aquarium when a 12 year old girl child wrecked my shot. I must learn to say, "No, I will not excuse you!" but in a relatively polite manner.
05-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Real pros would make no bones about all this.

They are professionals, there to do a job and get the results, which they will do politely, no fuss, no dramas.

They deal with all these issues every day of their working lives, it's second nature.

If you experience something else, that's unfortunate, because a real pros are a joy to behold as they go about their craft.
05-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IMHO guests blocking the paid, professional photographing the event is discourteous to the hosts who hired the pro, bought the venue, the drinks, dinner and dancing. These events cost $15,000 - $75,000. How selfish can people be?
05-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IMHO guests blocking the paid, professional photographing the event is discourteous to the hosts who hired the pro, bought the venue, the drinks, dinner and dancing. These events cost $15,000 - $75,000. How selfish can people be?

Every time I think the nadir, or acme, in self-centered behavior has been reached I am, sadly, proven wrong.