Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Title/sign your images???

When you mat and frame an image, do you title it? Do you sign it?
The other day the wife of one of my best friends told me that my "signing/titling" pratice was "distracting".
If I title an image (about 90% of the time), I print the title in pencil centered on the mat at the bottom of the image. I also print the title in ink on the back of the print.
I sign all mats, titled or not, in pencil, and always sign the back side of the print in ink. I also add the copyright symbol just before my signature on the back of the print,
I quit putting dates on prints and mats some time ago.
What do you do?
Thanks for any input.
Jack

05-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just read an excellent discussion of signing. Thank you all for input on that issue.
Nothing about "titling" though, so I would appreciate input on that.
Jack
05-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

On the internet, people usually don't like it. Adding a caption or title or watermark makes people condemn it as "snobbish" or "arrogant".

In real life, you probably want your prints to have your name and a caption somewhere with them. For copyright purposes, to build your reputation, to explain what is on the photo, to prevent your photo being used for other purposes,.. but this also depends on the kind of photography you do. Whether its product photography, journalism, abstract, landscapes,...
For example, a combat photographer took a photo of a soldier holding a local child. He did not caption it, so it was eventually bought, via agencies, for a pamphlet that tried to recruit soldiers and a caption was added to the effect of "its good that soldiers are there, they are helping innocent children live better lives". In reality, the soldier was part of a group of soldiers that just shot up a civilian car, by mistake, and one of the few survivors was that child. So in that case, a title, a caption, or an explanation would have been important to understand the photo and to prevent its misuse. The photo was meant as a condemnation of violence, but was later used to justify it. This is a pretty extreme example, but this is why some photographers insist that a caption is part of the photo and don't allow the use of the photo without the caption.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-19-2013 at 02:57 PM.
05-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Na Horuk