Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2013, 03:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welding glass Club

Of all the cheap ways that we try to invent to make photography interesting I find the Welding glass as an ND filter very interesting.
As this is not a lens I am not sure if it will be accepted into the Lens club, so I put it in the technique forum.
Post your shots.
Here are mine.

05-27-2013, 03:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Very nice captures and a good idea ... may have to try this out ! J
05-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Welding glass Club
You'd have to find a good one, a flat field and without flaws, imperfections or distortions that would show up in the images.

Otherwise it should work fine, out of interest what value ND do they work out to be roughly?
05-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
You'd have to find a good one, a flat field and without flaws, imperfections or distortions that would show up in the images.

Otherwise it should work fine, out of interest what value ND do they work out to be roughly?
There seem to be several dark levels. I really dont know and I have not done any calculations.

The one that I used for the images above was rated DIN9.

Depending on where I was pointing it to I realised that I could make out objects in liveview. Meaning the glass wasnt stopping enough light.

I just picked myself a DIN14 last friday. I was told it was the darkest they have. My guess is that it will be equivalent to ND10.

Keep in mind though that depending on the type glass there will be a green or purple cast on the image. You will have to remove that during PP.

It was not that difficult to do in my case.