Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Long exposure help?

Okay, so, what I am trying to do (as I haven't done it in forever) is long exposures! I know it's a neat trick especially with water and the sky, however, I'd also like to do it in more places than where just those two things are present. Now, I know the basics, basically crank your aperture way up, go into bulb mode, turn ISO as far down as possible, I know. But here is the problem.. I am too tight of a budget presently to invest in and ND filters, is there any way to get around this? Could I get the same results by going to maybe -3EV? Any suggestions or tips?
Thanks!

05-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
ND filters are best, though I have gotten decent results by cranking the ISO down, the aperture as closed as it would go, then during daylight up to a couple seconds, then tweaking in photoshop. Bulb mode in daylight? Not happening without ND filters.

I take that back about a couple seconds. Here's one where I did it for 1/3 second and blew the sky completely. Hey, I was just learning! The exif info is on the page on the right and down a little.

Helps if I post the link...

http://voice0freason.deviantart.com/art/Frozen-in-Time-202348371
05-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
.Shoot at night . I assume you have a tripod
05-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
.Shoot at night . I assume you have a tripod
I do have a tripod.

If I were to get some (maybe cheap) Cokin ND filters, what density would be best? (I wouldn't get a holder for them, I'd just hold them by hand. Too many different sized lenses haha)

05-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Stitching multiple (semi-long) exposures is a good way to avoid ND filters.
05-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
If I were to get some (maybe cheap) Cokin ND filters, what density would be best? (I wouldn't get a holder for them, I'd just hold them by hand. Too many different sized lenses haha)
The only one I have is an ND8 You might also consider getting one that fits your largest lens filter size the getting step down rings. they are fairly inexpensive.
05-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
Forum Member

Smoke an old UV filter with a candle. :-)

05-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The only one I have is an ND8 You might also consider getting one that fits your largest lens filter size the getting step down rings. they are fairly inexpensive.
That'd be an awful lot of step down rings. Haha (Going from 77mm down to 49mm) Now out of the question though.
I was thinking something like maybe a 3.0 density filter (10 stops) would be good enough?
05-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was thinking something like maybe a 3.0 density filter (10 stops) would be good enough?
10 stops is extreme and very expensive. Amazon.com: Hoya 77mm Neutral Density ND-400 HMC Filter: Camera & Photo

For dreamy waterfalls and similar things ND8 is good, that's 3 stops. Combine that with a CPL and you can do most any waterfall.

If you do want 10 stops cheap try a welding supply house and ask about the glass from a welders mask. I have a friend who uses one to track where the sun is behind clouds when setting up his camera. We experimented and compared his glass to my ND400 and found his glass was roughly 8 - 10 stops. Be aware that this glass WILL impart a color cast. Whether you can correct that or not I have no idea. You might be able to find one at a thrift shop or pawn shop for next to nothing.

But honestly check ebay for a set of ND filters 2x, 4x and 8x. They are not that expensive. All of mine all 49mm which means they only get used on the 49mm lenses, but so what? If I'm going to use the ND's then I use a lens that they fit on. Except for the ND400 I got them all used for next to nothing with other stuff I bought. They are likely as old as I am but they still work great.
05-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

This is what I did. I grabbed two for my two most common lenses (DA*50-135, FA 43/77) and then just stepping rims from there.

The other thing I did was get promaster variable ND filters. Not too much cash ($80 for the DA*50-135 mount one, and $60 for the smaller one) and have been more than happy with them. They give fantastic control over how much light you want to stop, and the image quality is still pretty solid. I really like the Promaster filters, great value for the money, metal rings, and if you go for the "pro" series there is no flex and they feel really solid...almost like B&W filters...but for a fraction of the cost. The pro line also includes a lifetime unlimited warranty. Seriously... I dropped my K5/DA*55 and shattered the filter (lens was AOK, probably the only thing that saved the lens to be honest. camera had a broken LCD screen) and they replaced the filter no charge.

I'd say if you can find a Promaster variable ND, get it.
05-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Okay, so, what I am trying to do (as I haven't done it in forever) is long exposures! I know it's a neat trick especially with water and the sky, however, I'd also like to do it in more places than where just those two things are present. Now, I know the basics, basically crank your aperture way up, go into bulb mode, turn ISO as far down as possible, I know. But here is the problem.. I am too tight of a budget presently to invest in and ND filters, is there any way to get around this? Could I get the same results by going to maybe -3EV? Any suggestions or tips?
Thanks!
I had the same problem you do. So started to look around what will be cheapest way to test long exposure.

Answer is welding glass. It is very cheap. I got one for less than about 3 euros.

Check out this thread I started yesterday because of the results.

Welding glass club

You can post you images when you have been successful.

Culture
05-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That'd be an awful lot of step down rings. Haha (Going from 77mm down to 49mm) Now out of the question though.
That would only be 1 ring.
How well would a variable ND work with that big of step down?
All of my filters are 62mm I won them on E-bay for $3 . There is an assortment of color filters, A 6 point star. and my ND8 All new from a store closing. All Hoya and Tiffen. I got the 62mm batch because that is my largest lens. Now I just need to get the step down rings. I have been saying that for a year now
05-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think what I'll end up doing is going over to my local welding supply store and seeing if I can buy a piece of welding glass (likely shade #12) and seeing how well that works out.
05-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I use a 49mm 10 stop B+W filter for long expoosures. They are not "extreme" or even expensive. They're ~$55 and are the minimum strength I need to do long exposures in daylight.

I've got about 50 or so long exposure photos taken with that filter in this flickr set Long Exposures - a set on Flickr
05-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
They are not "extreme" or even expensive.
They are expensive when the OP stated there was no budget and was looking for a cheap solution. 'expensive' is relative. I have a Hoya ND400 in 49mm and paid about $75 for mine. I felt that a reasonable cost but would not recommend it to someone who is just starting and has no budget.

And yes 10 stops is extreme. I have seen your work and it is remarkable, and if you need 10 stops to get there, wonderful. I still would not recommend a 10 stop for someone with no budget and no experience at long exposures. Starting with a 3 stop will allow good results and to gain experience in how long exposures work.

But anyway it sounds like the OP is going to try the welding glass route and I think that will be in the 8 - 10 stop range so I hope they post back and let us know how it works.