Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2008, 09:15 AM   #1

Bags, Bags And More Bags

Ok.. So in my non-photography live I have an obsession with bags and cases, for everything! Purses, ipod cases, camera cases and bags!!! Now I am going to have small DSLR set up, including the K10D (maybe grip) the 18-55 and the 70-200 lenses and at some point a flash. I don't want a bag that is too big but I do want a little extra space for SD cards and reference guides. I was looking at the FX3 by Domke. I have the FX6 but I think it will be too big. Also I am so paranoid about the equipment taking a beating in the Domke. With hardly any padding I get worried but I do like the accesablity to my equipment when shooting..I am getting married in June in Clearwater, FL and it's my first plane ride with such expensive equipment. So you see why I am in a little panic?! Flying isn't want it used to be...

So tell me what you are using...

P.S.
Did I mention I love cases?

03-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Check this one out...
M-ROCK » Catalog » Square Camcorder & SLR Gadget Bags » 517
It should be able to fit everything in it. If your kit grows, then you can strap on another pouch or smaller bag onto each side to accomodate more lenses.

M-rock isn't that well-known, but their bags are well-padded and very sturdy. I've had several of them, so I can definitely attest to that fact.

You can order directly from M-rock and get a 15% discount off the list price. While Campmor doesn't have all the styles, they do have the Grand Canyon, which you can get cheaper than ordering from M-rock.
M-Rock Grand Canyon Camera Bag from Campmor

HTH,
Heather
03-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you are really into bags take a look at the Billingham line ( Billingham , Photo Hadley, RTS INC, U. S. Distributors of Professional Photographic Products. ). Pricey, but beautiful. I followed my wife's logic here (as expressed regarding a closet full of her bags) and got something that will last forever. I have the Hadley Pro and carry a K10D with a lens attached (usually an 18-250 zoom) one or two other lenses or the grip and another lens, little stuff like another battery, cards, etc. in one pocket and sometimes an Epson P2000 in the other;the manual fits in the back pocket. The K10d is a tight fit depthwise, but OK. It will not fit with the grip on.
I used a shoulder bag for years while shooting 35mm and have not been happy/comfortable with other types of bags. That said, I have a really small Domke that hold my DS and another lens or two, a backpack type bag that I use when working out of the car with a few lwnses and 25 year old Domke F2 (I think) that I store equipment in. Also have two hard cases that I use for storage.
Different bags for different uses.

Last edited by PeterAM; 03-12-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Add link
03-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I like the Billingham bags, very old school, reminds of Filson's stuff, wish they made a camera as well.

03-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
Forum Member

I love my Crumpler 6 million dollar home! You could go with the 5 million if you wanted smaller My Crumpler fits my K10D with lens attached + 4 additional lenses/flashes (at the very least) with lots of pockets for storage. Plus, it's pretty!
03-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
Ed in GA

I've gone through so many bags it isn't even funny at this point.

Currently, I have the Pentax Sling Bag and I just picked up another Lowepro Micro Trekker 100.

I also have a 13 x 18 x 6.5 hard shell case that I keep "stuff" in.

Next week, I'll probably decide I need something else.

Sheeesh!!!!!

Last edited by Ed in GA; 03-12-2008 at 12:15 PM.
03-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Lowerpro compurover AW and or Domke Anaconda 10 (both are getting quite small)
had a Tamrac Velocity 9 sling.

otherwise, i just toss it in my backpack if I take it to work w/ me
03-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
Forum Member

Kata Panorama U - everyday carrying bag for work
Kata Focus N - small bag for light setup
Kata DR467 - big backpack for 1-2 day trips
Lowepro Slingshot 100 - for biking, short hikes, and day trips

03-13-2008, 12:30 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
... I was looking at the FX3 by Domke. I have the FX6 but I think it will be too big. Also I am so paranoid about the equipment taking a beating in the Domke. With hardly any padding I get worried but I do like the accessibility to my equipment when shooting..I am getting married in June in Clearwater, FL and it's my first plane ride with such expensive equipment. So you see why I am in a little panic?! Flying isn't want it used to be...

So tell me what you are using...

P.S.
Did I mention I love cases?
I have a Domke F-3X and it seems just right for my needs. I have taken it on many plane and car trips with no damage what so ever to equipment. I usually take 1 camera body with 3 lenses, a flash, a larger MP3 player (Archos) with noise canceling headphones (a must for air travel!) and various other things to entertain me along the way. I have stuffed it under seats and in the overhead compartment with nary a problem. There is a little zippered part on the inside tip of the big flap that is perfect for holding SD cards, remote trigger and other tiny bits. I love the 'gripper' strap, too. If you feel the need for extra padding bring a paperback novel (more entertainment!) and slip it under the camera for additional padding. You could cut some dense (but thin) foam pieces to do the same job on a permanent basis. I have the black ballistic cloth version and it is tough as nails and when on your shoulder does not scream "I am holding an expensive camera" to would-be thieves.
03-13-2008, 02:26 AM   #10

Just get the F3X and assume that you'll be adding small stuff later. Remember--as soon as you have a flash, you'll have (make) a few snoots, Gobos, gridspots, and probably even a trigger system. It's just about the perfect size for anything, and I'm personally chomping at the bit to get one. Maybe the Mekko clone on ebay--cheaper :P
03-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Choices, choices ...

Through a string of events that embarasses me, I now have a Lowepro 100, a Lowepro 200, and a Lowepro Compu Daypack. While I won't offer to show you my collection, , you might try the Camera Company. They have all three, at least at their Odana Rd. store if you're a west side person!

I use the daypack for lots o' stuff, and the others depending on how much I have to haul around. I also have a simple holster when one body and lens is just right. Don't use that much now, though.

Have fun with the K10, and maybe we'll meet at a Flickr event!

GJL
03-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Lowepro CompuRover for when I need to carry my Camera + laptop around, e.g. travelling
Lowepro EX160 for when I want to travel light, e.g. camera + 2 lenses + accessories.

I plan on getting one of the new 70-200 F2.8 lenses later in the year, and unfortunately, I don't think that will fit in the EX160. Maybe I should start looking at a new bag now...
03-18-2008, 06:05 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CJCram Quote
I love my Crumpler 6 million dollar home! You could go with the 5 million if you wanted smaller My Crumpler fits my K10D with lens attached + 4 additional lenses/flashes (at the very least) with lots of pockets for storage. Plus, it's pretty!
I actually ordered a 7 million dollar home. I read a lot of people who got the 6 say they would have gone bigger for the small difference. It will be roomy for now.. but hopefully I won't have to buy a new bag for awhile.
03-18-2008, 06:10 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Through a string of events that embarasses me, I now have a Lowepro 100, a Lowepro 200, and a Lowepro Compu Daypack. While I won't offer to show you my collection, , you might try the Camera Company. They have all three, at least at their Odana Rd. store if you're a west side person!

I use the daypack for lots o' stuff, and the others depending on how much I have to haul around. I also have a simple holster when one body and lens is just right. Don't use that much now, though.

Have fun with the K10, and maybe we'll meet at a Flickr event!

GJL
the camera company, IMHO, they are overprice and not very friendly. Esp the one on the west side. The only loc I like is the downtown store but it is a jaunt for me and honestly I won't pay retail prices on my equipment. Ebay or amazon is my preference.
03-18-2008, 06:21 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benplaut Quote
Just get the F3X and assume that you'll be adding small stuff later. Remember--as soon as you have a flash, you'll have (make) a few snoots, Gobos, gridspots, and probably even a trigger system. It's just about the perfect size for anything, and I'm personally chomping at the bit to get one. Maybe the Mekko clone on ebay--cheaper :P
Benplaut... forgive me, but what are snoots and gobos?
BTW I am extermely jealous you live in Hawaii.... I live in Wisconsin... two totally different "worlds" in terms of weather today... So cold and gloomy here.