Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moose Photography Workshop - technique advice?

In a week I'm going up to Pittsburg, New Hampshire for a 3 day moose photography workshop. I've got all the gear I'm going to have (meaning I am not buying anything between now and then)...

I'm bringing: K5, DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 55, Sigma 100-300 F4, Sigma 1.4tc, Tamron 2x tc, tripod and head, rain cover, good bag - and so on. I've got what I need. Also, I used to be a full-time outdoor educator in a wide range of environments so I know exactly what to expect when it comes to weather, gear, and staying happy. I'm prepared in that way.

While I go out for the occasional morning, this is my first chance to go on a dedicated, multi-day photo trip. I have taken thousands of photos in the last few years, some nice, many average, some terrible. I know how to work my camera (on the tripod, shake reduction off, mirror up mode, trigger with remote, etc...).

Are there any recommendations for things to look out for? The tips of the pros? I've watched many wildlife photography videos on youtube, including ones specific to moose. I guess I'm just wondering about the collective wisdom of the pentax forum when it comes to going on a workshop and doing wild life photography.

Thanks!

06-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suggest you just listen to Moose and do what he recommends before you make any decisions on your own. He does know pretty much what he is doing.
06-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
A moose or Moose Peterson?
06-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
An actual moose. A very good question! Not moose Peterson.

06-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Moose are BIG animals. We have had bull moose in our part of the world with degenerative brain disease challenge cars, and do serious damage to the car. Take your telephoto lenses and stay back.
06-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Strong recommendation: ask normhead here on this forum.
Here's a thread he started: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/227699-nature-baby-moose.html
and I am sure tessfully ... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/227764-nature-cow-moose-yearling-calf.html is also quite capable of providing help.

JP
06-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had my life pass before my eyes a few years ago. I was walking alone at one of my favourite woodland lakes the 3rd week of June when I heard a splash to my right. Turned to see momma moose and a just-born calf crossing from the small peninsula I was on to the next one. I was not more than 10 meters from them. The youngster was not too steady on its feet yet and tumbled backwards down the steep slope of the peninsula. The cow's hackles were up and ears back at this time and she was looking right at me. The only thing saving me from a severe thrashing was the fact that she had to tend to her young one. The calf righted itself and the cow decided to amble off rather than take time to stomp me into the ground. I was talking softly and hopefully reassuringly to the cow during the whole episode. I am a lot more careful in the bush now. A cow moose in defense mode is not a pretty sight.

Jack
06-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When the Pacific Great Eastern railway (North Vancouver to Prince George BC) was using switching engines they occasionally ended up with a derailed locomotive. It seems that male moose in the rut mistook the sound of the locomotives horn for a challenge. Hard on the moose too.

In my family, we consider moose by far the most dangerous animal in the woods because they are completely unpredictable.

06-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

A moose workshop??
Wow, sounds really cool, hope you share some photos. Only thing I can recommend is to bring mosquito-block. And if a moose decides to charge, look big! or move behind a tree or something
06-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the tips, the guy running this workshop has done it several years in a row now and I am confident he will keep the group out of danger. But yes, stay far away and use a big lens - seems like good advice.

I had kind of forgotten about mosquitos until last night when I was out shooting the small stream at my inlaws. Many bites! Got to go pick up some repellent today.

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Strong recommendation: ask normhead here on this forum.
Here's a thread he started: Baby Moose
and I am sure tessfully ... Cow Moose, yearling, and calf is also quite capable of providing help.
JP
And thanks for that tip. I'll check out those threads.
06-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
A moose workshop??
Wow, sounds really cool, hope you share some photos. Only thing I can recommend is to bring mosquito-block. And if a moose decides to charge, look big! or move behind a tree or something
I've never seen a moose in the wild, but an acquaintance from Sweden, who lives in moose-land and has had two cars totaled by moose in as many years, once advised me "before going to look for wild moose, learn how to climb trees really fast - a moose is like an ill-tempered elephant with an attitude".

As we want you back in one piece, that advice is hereby passed on.