Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

Filters--

Hey,

I have been needing to invest in a good set of filters for my camera.
Do the conkin p-series compare to the normal screw mount filters?
Because they are alot cheaper.

03-14-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Cokin has been producing the "Creative Filter System" for thirty years (since 1978). During that time, I've heard very few complaints from the many millions of photographers using that system, now and in the past, world-wide.

I used Cokin filters with several previous cameras, but decided on standard screw-on filters when I purchased my K10D. That lasted until a few weeks ago when I switched back to the Cokin filters.

The only downside is these filters, in their plastic boxes, take up more room in a camera bag than regular filters. I've especially avoided the Cokin glass filters, such as the close-up and split-field filters, this time around since they're heavy and even more bulky. However, if you have room in the camera bag, neither of these may be an issue for you.

stewart
03-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I switched from a decades-long practice of using Hoya's glass, screw-on filters to the Cokin system when I bought my K10D, because I expect to purchase glass with a wider variety of filter mount sizes than was the case with my previous systems. It's a lot cheaper to buy a single Cokin resin filter of a given type, plus the adapter rings to fit my range of lenses, than it is to buy high-quality glass filters, even if one goes the step-up mounting ring route (which I never found too useful). As for quality comparisons, I've no complaints with either Hoya or Cokin.
03-15-2008, 03:05 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
...The only downside is these filters, in their plastic boxes, take up more room in a camera bag than regular filters. I've especially avoided the Cokin glass filters, such as the close-up and split-field filters, this time around since they're heavy and even more bulky. However, if you have room in the camera bag, neither of these may be an issue for you.

stewart
I am not sure if you are aware but Cokin makes a handy holder for their filters. I too wrestled with the boxes until I discovered these at Adorama. I find them helpful for storing regular screw-on filters as well.

03-15-2008, 04:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Cokin also do a 10 slot box, which can optionally fit in the holders (the standard pockets can be removed). The downside is the amount of room they take in the backpack. Have recently bought a super-cheapo 40xCD wallet, as an idea to reducing the room required, and the bonus of being able to see the filter code as I flick through. Not ideal for all filters though (e.g. split field) for which I will continue to use the Cokin holder stated by JS. Yet to do an outing with the cd wallet setup, but for the flat square types, the cd wallet seems ideal. Could of course just take a few instead, but have found that you never know just where and when you'll be when a shot. scene or exposure may benefit from an adjustment, compensation or something a little more glass can provide. Similarly, can guarantee I'll not know which lens will be used, which is why I opted for the advantages of the Cokin system.

SMC-DA 18-55mm: 28mm
ISO 200: 6 sec @ f27
Cokin B42 (Galaxy)
Name:  2007080800001.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  45.1 KB
Wanted a passing record of a small town's festive illuminations. Intrusive brightly lit stalls and everyday street lights seemed distracting. IMHO, by using the filter the unwanted extras were able to take a more positive role in the record. This is the first and only time have used the particular filter - tend to always carry them, though rarely use them.

My only regret is that I opted for the A size (fortunately at present I do not own any lenses with a diameter that cannot be met).
Optically have not found the Cokin set to be an issue, though do prefer using the linear polarizer on manual focus to the circular on auto - IMHO, the linear gives better colour.
After all the waffle, should point out that am just a beginner, trying to explain why am happy to have gone with the Cokin system.

Last edited by bluespearbone; 03-15-2008 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Added shot
03-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I am not sure if you are aware but Cokin makes a handy holder for their filters. I too wrestled with the boxes until I discovered these at Adorama. I find them helpful for storing regular screw-on filters as well.

Yes, I saw the canvas filter wallet. However, it's not all that much smaller than the Cokin 10-filter plastic box/case I'm using now. In fact, with the pockets removed, the wallet is even designed to hold the plastic case. Regardless, I decided against the wallet mainly because there is some dispute over how well the oversized 85x100mm P-series filters (made by Cokin, Tiffen, etc) fit into it considering the normal P-series filters are 85x85mm. Given that and the overall similarity in size to the plastic box/case, there just wasn't a compelling reason to consider it further.

Actually, envelopes made from Tyvek, the same non-abrasive material used for CD sleeves, may be the most compact way to carry these filters. But, since I haven seen any available for this particular purpose, it may be a diy project.

stewart

-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 03-15-2008 at 11:39 PM. Reason: clarification
03-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I Have been using one of those small zippered pouches for my Cokin filters for a long time. They are brilliant. It has velcrose straps that attach it to the strap of my camera bag and is very convenient.
For anyone using Cokin filters I highly recommend.
Check if for Cokin A or Cokin (Different size) though. Mine are mostly A.

I highly recommend the Cokin system to any one contemplating. The slide filters can be slid in and out which is very effective, particularly for Graduated filters. There are some many variations. I have about 25 different filters.

03-15-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Further to my previous post, I have just tried an 85mm filter for measurement and does fit in the pouch, as is.
Width and height of 85mm are accommodated.
Mine is a COKIN pouch, not sure if any other makers issue them.