Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2013, 11:26 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lens based photography challenges for yourself?

Do you ever challenge yourself to have only one lens for the day and exercise your skills? What could you do if you leave your zoom behind and all you had was a prime lens? Would there be some shots that you'd miss? Which ones could you get otherwise?

Then, tomorrow, pick another lens and challenge yourself again!

06-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out THIS GROUP
Feel free to join up for a month with the same lens, and then you'll really get to know its ins and outs.
06-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
So does the group you posted mean you pick the lens you want to use for a month, and then just post your results with that lens? (there was no sticky explaining anything )
06-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Do you ever challenge yourself to have only one lens for the day and exercise your skills? What could you do if you leave your zoom behind and all you had was a prime lens? Would there be some shots that you'd miss? Which ones could you get otherwise?

Then, tomorrow, pick another lens and challenge yourself again!

It's pretty much how I work every day.
A combination of wanting to improve my skills, and being lazy and wanting to carry as little as possible.

Yes, I miss shots sometimes, but to be honest, I find I miss more if i'm busy stuffing about with changing lenses and settings.

I find it easier to pick out shots with only one lens, after a while your eye gets used to the lens and you can limit your focus (concentration focus, not lens focus) to what you know you can get with the lens at hand.

I could quite happily do all my photography with only manual focus prime lenses (I've only got 2 zooms, a Sigma AF18-50, and a Pentax-A 70-210. The sigma is rubbish, the Pentax is great, but I'd still prefer a 70, a 135, and a 200)

06-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Codazzle Quote
So does the group you posted mean you pick the lens you want to use for a month, and then just post your results with that lens? (there was no sticky explaining anything )
Sorry, you probably need to be member of the group to access that link properly. The first post of THIS LINK should explain things better.
06-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I use only manual focus primes, and usually go out for a walk with only one lens, most of the time that's a Vivitar 200mm M42. Yeah I miss some shots, mostly flowers, butterflies and insects. Every couple of days I go out with a 50mm mounted, and try for some of those shots. That's usually when I see the most birds...

When I had the k-x I almost always took along extra lenses, but I got really tired of constantly cleaning sensor spots, and losing shots because of them. Now I try to only change lenses at the house or in the Jeep with the doors closed. No more outside lens changes...to avoid temptation I don't carry extra lenses around.

I do miss shots, but I don't really mind. I normally go out with certain subjects in mind, usually birds. When I want to try flowers or insects, I'll go out looking just for that and use a 50mm, sometimes I'll add an extension tube or two and go looking for macro. In any of those cases, I always miss shots, it's part of the territory I guess...I try not to worry about it unless I miss something really good...
06-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I did this for years through my collection of antique cameras with permanently mounted prime lenses. I love my old folding cameras, but can no longer obtain roll film of the proper size - - - I WISH I had the foresight to have asked the processor to send me some used spools and I might try to make do with 120 roll film. I still have one 35mm rangefinder and one 6X6 TLR.
06-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I do it very often - but in periods of a week or two instead of just a single day per lens. these are mostly primes as I rarely use zooms on day to day basis.

06-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

When I go on hikes, I only take one lens on my camera: a Vivitar 13mm, which is a re-badged Samyang 14mm f/2.8. I'm cheating, though. I also carry a second camera: a Sigma DP2 Merrill, which is a compact with a fixed 30mm lens.

Each camera has its own strengths. The K-5 IIs + Vivitar has huge dynamic range and great colors, while the Sigma captures insane levels of detail and doesn't take up much room. Also, the combo means no lens-changing in the field.
06-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
Jon

I have been a fan of primes for a while. Originally it was because of the perceived added sharpness, but soon it became so much more. I love being limited. I love having to frame with my feet. The same goes with shooting raw. I don't want to have to think about jpeg compression, wb, tone, contrast... I just want to collect it all and think about that later. Just the same I don't want to think about how the picture will be framed on a zoom lens at different lengths. After enough time with a certain focal length you can picture that length. Envision each shot, and frame it without even raising your camera. Then position your feet at the correct distance, and only raise the camera to take the shot. Using primes helps me not to live moments through the viewfinder. This is taken even further by only carrying one lens, the one on the camera.