Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2013, 08:05 PM - 15 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Technique shooting Macro Insects

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have been asked by a few on here to share my technique for getting my macro photos so here it is.
This is probably going to end up being a multi-part post because really hate typing.

I will start by sharing my equipment set up.

Latest set-up: Pentax K-5 camera with Lester Dine 105-mm macro lens, Yongnuo YN-560 speedlight, Cowboy Studios 6x7 Softbox diffuser.

7-inch Magic Friction Arm: Amazon.com: BestDealUSA 7" Inch Adjustable Friction Power Articulating Magic Arm for LCD Monitor LED: Electronics
L-grip bracket: Amazon.com: Heavy Duty Photography L Bracket with 2 Standard Flash Hot Shoe Mounts: Camera & Photo
Cowboy Studios 6x7 Softbox: 6" x 7" Softbox for Nikon Flash Canon Speedlight for Nikon SB 600 SB 800 | eBay
Wireless flash triggers: PT04

All my shots are hand held I use a milk crate to sit on and always try to keep my flash at no more than 1/4 power for the shortest duration of flash that helps freeze any movement.
I do the move camera back and forth to focus with the lens always at max magnification and always try to get the insect in the focal plane so I can get as much of the subject in focus as I can.
Here is an example of the insect being in the focal plane.

Here is one where I could not get it in the focal plane.

I have figured out that F/16 gives me the best results with my lens and that is where it stays 80% of the time I have shot some at F/18 and F/22 with acceptable results but not as consistent plus I have to use a higher ISO or up the flash power I try not to go over ISO 400 and most are shot at 1/180th sec unless I am trying to let more ambient light in.

Here is an example of a shot where I wanted more ambient light. Shot at F/16 at 1/100 sec

This shot was in the same location but at F/16 at 1/180 notice how the background is almost black.

That is all for today will continue tomorrow.

06-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Those are all very impressive images and far beyond my patience and determination, much less skill.
06-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for this. I recently bought a Tamron 90mm 2.8 and was blown away my first time shooting with no macro experience and just the sun for illumination. I've since been trying to up my game, but don't know how to start. This is a big help for me.
06-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hangman43, have you ever used a ring flash for insect macro? I was thinking that was a good idea for macro before seeing this post.

06-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
hangman43, have you ever used a ring flash for insect macro? I was thinking that was a good idea for macro before seeing this post.
I have a ring flash but I have not used it in about a year I have gotten much better results since I went to the system I use now. Keep watching this thread I am going to add to it daily thinking about showing some of my older stuff as a comparison to what I get now I might even break the ring flash out to show the results and also a few variations of soft boxes. I will also go through my post processing routine.
06-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the post hangman, this is great info. I look forward to the next installment!
06-21-2013, 01:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I appreciate is your attempt to get maximum depth of field. All very well done.

06-21-2013, 02:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Do you really need the flash triggers in your rig? Wouldn't a cable do as well?
06-21-2013, 03:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice result! I got tons of flashes but no good setup, I should go your way.
06-21-2013, 04:33 AM   #10

Very good results. In your place I would add one more flash.
06-21-2013, 04:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote

Yes a cable would do the same thing but I already had triggers and did not have a cable.
06-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p44f Quote
Very good results. In your place I would add one more flash.

I could easily add more flash but I try to get it to look like it did to my eyes I want a natural look.
06-21-2013, 04:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
A cable would work. Wireless lets you easily add more flashes to this setup if desired. The wireless receiver acts as a hotshoe to female thread for easy mounting to the mini-magic arm. And less cords is always nice.
06-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
I could easily add more flash but I try to get it to look like it did to my eyes I want a natural look.
With one flash you get very strong shadows and very dark background, which I doubt your eyes see
06-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p44f Quote
With one flash you get very strong shadows and very dark background, which I doubt your eyes see

I can adjust background brightness with the shutter speed as for the shadows my eyes do see shadows natural light usually comes from one direction. I have a ring flash that leaves no shadows but without shadows pictures look very flat.
The dark background has more to do with shutter speed than flash power as long as I shoot at 1/180 sec it will almost always leave a dark background especially when shooting in to an area that has nothing for the flash to bounce off of I could have 10 flashes aimed at the subject and if there is nothing for that light to bounce off of it will still leave a dark background.