Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree with the quick exposures. The desert will reflect lots of light. Not quite snow-like but still plenty bright. There aren't a lot of shadows and shady areas most times except early and late in the day.

06-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
It's still going to be quick exposures, of course, depending on the light.
I got a fader ND up to supposingly 10 stops. I guess I am very safe for myself with 9 - not really skilled with filters. I hope - just imagine it would be cool to get nice long exposure how to desert meet Pacific close to sunset. I just realized that direction of light in southern hemisphere are different I am used to from northern one. But lets see. That's all challenge and daring in this case.

I know you had been in desert. Did you try ND's? I wonder a lot about the light. What is a proportion of brightness of desert sand and skies in sunny 16 situation.
06-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by em-tx Quote
I got a fader ND up to supposingly 10 stops.
the rotating fader filters tend to get dust in them and get scratched up inside when you rotate them. Watch out for that.
06-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
the rotating fader filters tend to get dust in them and get scratched up inside when you rotate them. Watch out for that.
Thanks. I will try to get protective UV on them and then also screw lens hood on which I want to attach protective bag which goes over camera and lens. It should be tight. Do you think its enough or this 'technology' would fail?

07-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Lightroom keeps blowing sand and grit from scratching the coating on your lenses now?
Lightroom 5 certainly does, in Lightroom 4 it was a bit iffy.
07-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by em-tx Quote
Shooting in desert
Sand killed my all my Nikon F3's back in the day, in fact It's why I switched to Pentax and the LX's.