Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2008, 07:47 AM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Hmm I don't have K20D... so what do you mean but Darkframe can't be turned off? is it its NR auto on even you told it not to?
I don't have K20D either ... but this is what other K20D owners are reporting.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/22521-finally-some...bout-k20d.html

I will probably delay my K20D "upgrade", until this bug is sorted out.

06-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #17
Inactive Account

might be out of date but k10 will do 1 hour exposures with a bit of ccd heat (in the upper part of the picture).
k20d has dark frame substraction(it will repeat the exposure with the courtain closed)
can somebody please post samples done with the k20d and share the experience ?! thanks!
06-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #18
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum smc pentax fan.
Since I last posted in this thread, I've had some experience shooting long exposures with the K20D. Not so impressive as the earlier CCD-sensor dSLRs, as you can see in my thread addressing this very issue:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/74773-night-country-trai...iso-noise.html

I've had no problems getting clean 1hr exposures with the K10D at ISO 160-250, but the K20D has been a challenge getting a clean 5-15min exposure even at ISO 100. C'est la vie.

The K-x does a much better job from what I hear.
06-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Anyone tried longer exposures for star trails with the K20D yet?
I'm curious to know if the K20D's 'cooler' sensor permits longer exposures without the hot pixels.
I don't do star trail photography, but do take a lot of night building shots.

The K20D has a built in fix for long exposure hot pixels. The good news is that it works well. I get a bit of noise but nothing objectionable up to 15 minutes at ISO 200. The bad news is that it takes a second exposure of the same length. So a 15 minute exposure will take more than 30 minutes to complete. There's a bit of extra time on top of the second exposure for processing. This feature in not optional. You can't turn it off and process for hot pixels manually.

BTW, 30 minutes of continual processing runs the battery down quickly. Make sure you're charged up.

Last edited by mysticcowboy; 06-24-2010 at 01:51 PM.