Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2008, 07:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Shooting at noon (full Sun). Any tips?

My family (wife and 1.5 year old) and I will be traveling next month to Mexico (Cancun if that matters). We are staying in one of the all-inclusive resorts. It is going to be pretty much a vacation with most of the time spent at the pool relaxing. I know that from the resort you can get a short trip to one of the Mayan ruins which I would like to see. The only problem is that the trip starts in the morning and you are at the site just about noon time. This is the worst time to take pictures when it comes to light. So my question is, do you guys have any tips on what to do/avoid in such situation? I will have my Pentax DSLR with lenses that cover 17-300mm range.

Just please do not tell me to go there early in the morning or late in the evening as this will not be possible.

Thanks.

03-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

a CPL. They work best 90 degrees to the sun. I've heard arguments that they don't work at noon, but I've also heard arguments that they're essential at noon, when the sun is directly over head and everything is 90 degrees.
03-19-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
May be obvious, but shooting RAW will help in PP.
03-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by user440 Quote
May be obvious, but shooting RAW will help in PP.
Definitely shoot RAW, and also auto bracket exposures using the widest bracket range possible. When you get back home you can merge the bracketed exposures into a High Dynamic Range image. The easiest way I have found to make a HDR image is to download the Photomatix sample (free) and use it.

03-19-2008, 08:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you'll be going to Tulum, there isn't much there besides one structure and a bunch of foundations/low walls. It's right on the beach. It's mostly grassy with lots of people milling around.

You know the lighting will be harsh, so try to work the shadows into the composition. You should have plenty of puffy clouds overhead so a polarizer would help make them pop.

I don't know about the ones further south, but they should be similar.
03-19-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Also, take along a graduated ND filter. It is more important than a polariser (in my view).
03-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all who replied. I will take graduated ND filter and CPL. Just have to buy them first as I only have CPL for one of my lenses.

alohadave: I think Tulum is the closest site to the resorts and that's what I am planning to see. I would love to go to Chitzen Itza but I read that's full day trip.

03-19-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don not forget protection against sun burn, for yourself and the 1.5 year.
The sun and be very intense for people coming from a northern region.

Also, protect yourself from drunken fellow country men, that will be having drinking contests with cocktails and beer starting at 10:00 at the pool side.
They'll be "owning" a large part of the pool by noon

Have fun, Mexico is a great and beautifull country with mostly pleasent people.
Try diving out there.

- Bert